Yet more problematic stuff

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Re: Yet more problematic stuff

Post by Sean Hayden » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:54 pm

The threats faced by police have been greatly exaggerated. But, it keeps them swimming in the latest military hardware, so we're unlikely to see much in the way of a correction in reporting on that front.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:11 pm

JimC wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:34 pm
We have some of the same issues with police here, but I suspect less overall. One reason may be the comparative lack of guns - it seems to me that anytime a policeman in the States pulls someone over, they realise that there is an excellent chance that the person is carrying (legally or illegally) a gun, which is not the case here. (There are some guns around, but in almost all shootings, it's underworld figures shooting other criminals...)

Knowing that, even for a relatively decent cop, would tend to make you nervous and paranoid, I imagine...
True. The point is, though, that cops very, very likely would not have formed an opinion that something untoward may be going on, had the person they saw tidying a front yard with the use of a bucket and a pickup tool been Caucasian. He certainly would not have pulled a gun on him and called for backup in a 16 minute confrontation. It would have been a case of "Good morning, sir. Nice job picking up that rubbish, sir. Have a nice day, sir."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:44 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:41 pm
I don't know how you fix it.
Fewer Republicans in government = fewer guns in circulation = less fearful cops.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:25 pm

Hermit wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:11 pm
JimC wrote:
We have some of the same issues with police here, but I suspect less overall. One reason may be the comparative lack of guns - it seems to me that anytime a policeman in the States pulls someone over, they realise that there is an excellent chance that the person is carrying (legally or illegally) a gun, which is not the case here. (There are some guns around, but in almost all shootings, it's underworld figures shooting other criminals...)

Knowing that, even for a relatively decent cop, would tend to make you nervous and paranoid, I imagine...
True. The point is, though, that cops very, very likely would not have formed an opinion that something untoward may be going on, had the person they saw tidying a front yard with the use of a bucket and a pickup tool been Caucasian. He certainly would not have pulled a gun on him and called for backup in a 16 minute confrontation. It would have been a case of "Good morning, sir. Nice job picking up that rubbish, sir. Have a nice day, sir."
Yeah, I don't disagree that there seems to be strong racial profiling element in the psyche of white cops, as well as gun-related paranoia...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:31 pm

If only we could all have Dutch police, the best in the world...

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:11 am

I"m mightily bothered by stuff that gives me problems... anybody might remember that German loanword that means a repetitive phrase or theme in music? I can't remember it, and even net search does not work, my google fu is ineffficient....
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:50 am

Svartalf wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:11 am
I"m mightily bothered by stuff that gives me problems... anybody might remember that German loanword that means a repetitive phrase or theme in music? I can't remember it, and even net search does not work, my google fu is ineffficient....
Perhaps the word you're seeking is motif.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:53 am

Motif, not quite, but that push was enough, Leitmotiv was the word I looked for... and in the wrong direction as I was looking into devivations from Lied...

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:07 am

Ah, a more elegant term. :smoke:

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:45 am

Grubelschnitzenfrankenkleine?
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:47 am

is that something you eat?

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:26 am

It's what comes out of my nose when I sneeze.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:29 am

your nose creates weird snot.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:38 am

JimC wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:25 pm
Hermit wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:11 pm
JimC wrote:

Yeah, I don't disagree that there seems to be strong racial profiling element in the psyche of white cops, as well as gun-related paranoia...
Stupid Americans. Something else they could learn from us. We don't use guns. We don't need to. We arrest Aborigines, put them in a cell, then kill them. "Deaths in custody" avoid a lot of unfavourable publicity. Most of them don't even find their way into Youtube. Between 1979-80 and April 2018 1,600 deaths occurred in prison and 985 in police custody and custody-related operations. 500 of them were Aborigines. Considering that 3.3% of Australians are of of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander origin, That is a huge overrepresentation, even after taking into account that they are overrepresented in the prison population already.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:00 am

The neo-Nazi plot against America is much bigger than we realize
Lt Christopher Hasson is the product of traditions in white supremacist circles, and experts say there are ‘thousands like him’
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... _5_E6Wfrhw

But remember... It's purple-haired SJWs who care too much who are the real threat to society. :whisper:
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.