Change the name of Israel

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Re: Change the name of Israel

Post by Forty Two » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:36 pm

mistermack wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 8:50 pm
I think it should be called "Jewish State".

It has an awful lot in common with Islamic State. Including a fondness for massacring huge numbers of unarmed people.

Anyway, Jewish State is exactly what it is, so I think the name should be made to stick.
I think it is referred to as a Jewish state. I agree that no State should be a religious state or have an official religion. People have an individual right to freedom of religion, and there should be a complete and total separation of church/synagogue/temple/mosque and state. If we could get a nice global or at least regional agreement to that effect, then we could get rid of all religious states.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:42 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:57 pm
UN says Israel's killings at Gaza protests may amount to war crimes
UN investigators have accused Israeli soldiers of intentionally firing on civilians and said they may have committed war crimes in their lethal response to Palestinian demonstrations in Gaza.

The independent Commission of Inquiry, set up last year by the UN’s human rights council, said Israeli forces killed 189 people and shot more than 6,100 others with live ammunition near the fence that divides the two territories.

The panel said in a statement that it had found “reasonable grounds to believe that Israeli snipers shot at journalists, health workers, children and persons with disabilities, knowing they were clearly recognisable as such”...
OHCHR Statement: https://www.ohchr.org/EN/HRBodies/HRC/P ... 6&LangID=E
Well, it will nice to see the "fuller" report which is expected in May, 2019.

If Israeli soldiers shot at journalists, health workers, children and persons with disabilities, knowing they were clearly recognizable as such, and not engaged in the assaults on the Israeli positions, then that would be criminal. I look forward to seeing what the reasonable grounds are and on what specific evidence they're based.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:43 pm

Animavore wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:26 pm
Whataboutism isn't just for Trump supporters.
Strontium's post was clearly not 'whattaboutism." He's suggesting a bias of those countries on the human rights commission in question. That's not whattaboutism, is it?

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:07 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:43 pm
Animavore wrote:
Strontium's post was clearly not 'whattaboutism." He's suggesting a bias of those countries on the human rights commission in question. That's not whattaboutism, is it?
I disagree. If nothing else, mention of the wrong-doing of other countries such as Saudi Arabia (which I would not argue against) in this context deflects criticism of the behaviour of the Israeli government; that is what this thread is about.

Now, if international bodies are not being critical of some countries who deserve it objectively, while consistently being critical of Israel, then they can legitimately be taken to task, but that in no way diminishes the culpability of the Israeli government.
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:31 pm

‘Exceptionalism’. America has it and Israel has it - though of course Israel is in many ways an outpost of America given how much money it sucks in from there.

Personally I’m for it, as far as Israel is concerned. Not so much America these days.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:19 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:43 pm
Animavore wrote:
Of course it's whataboutism. Not surprising you of all people can't see it.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:23 pm

Supposedly it's the official policy of Israel. I heard that the PR firm they hired --one of them anyway-- to determine how best to influence Americans to view them positively suggested always shifting the conversation away from territory to terrorism, for example. Apparently, Americans are likely to change their minds about Israel when they find out they keep building settlements, but they will forgive even that if you say you're fighting terrorism.

Of course you have to take that with a huge grain of salt. This is another one of those issues where everybody is making all kinds of claims.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:18 am

A company providing a Citizens Residential Air Patrol could do very well in Israel and Palestine.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:48 am

I found it. You can download the document detailing some of the PR advice here: https://electronicintifada.net/content/ ... ublic/4540

It was put together by some Frank Luntz, an important Republican pollster I guess.
””SECURITY” sells. Security has become the key fundamental principle for all Americans. Security is the context by which you should explain Israeli need for loan guarantees and military aid, as well as why Israel can’t just give up land. The settlements are our Achilles heel, and the best response (which is still quite weak) is the need for security that this buffer creates.”

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:52 am

Achilles heel (?) --"The Rage of Achilles" :ask:

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:55 am

A "cyberpropaganda" site? Hmm...

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:01 am

:lol: Is there another kind in this debate? Their link doesn't work anyway. I'll have to find it elsewhere. It was supposedly leaked immediately.
Israeli spokesmen have their work cut out explaining how they have killed more than 1,000 Palestinians in Gaza, most of them civilians, compared with just three civilians killed in Israel by Hamas rocket and mortar fire. But on television and radio and in newspapers, Israeli government spokesmen such as Mark Regev appear slicker and less aggressive than their predecessors, who were often visibly indifferent to how many Palestinians were killed.

There is a reason for this enhancement of the PR skills of Israeli spokesmen. Going by what they say, the playbook they are using is a professional, well-researched and confidential study on how to influence the media and public opinion in America and Europe. Written by the expert Republican pollster and political strategist Dr Frank Luntz, the study was commissioned five years ago by a group called The Israel Project, with offices in the US and Israel, for use by those "who are on the front lines of fighting the media war for Israel".
https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/co ... 30765.html

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:14 am

Yeah, well anyone who's thought about the inevitability of the one-state solution has thought about the Right of Return and the implications that a majority Palestinian Israel will have for the future of what they view as their nation.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:20 am

Alright, this link is working: http://australiansforpalestine.com/2980

But as before the talk surrounding it has to be taken with a grain of salt eh?

It's similar to the issue of Israel targeting LGBTQ voters. It's hardly wrong to target any group in the hopes of convincing them you're right about something. But that is what I mostly encountered when looking into it, people that just said Israel did it, they targeted these groups. Okay, and....

Well, it's hardly wrong to develop a strategy for how best to talk about an issue either...

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:27 am

No it's not wrong to develop a strategy, but you do tend to give away your objectives when you do. Do the Jewish people of Israel want the Right of Return to be implemented in any final settlement with the Palestinians? It means that they'll be a minority in what they see as their country.

From the moves they make and don't make the current government seems to think that they do not want that. Just how popular is the current regime at home these days?