English Pound set to Rocket

Will the Pound recover the Brexit Losses in the next few weeks?

20%
No votes
10%
No votes
-10%
27%
-20%
9%
Molten cheese
64%

Total votes: 11

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Re: English Pound set to Rocket

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:20 pm

Speculation.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:19 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:20 pm
Speculation.
No doubt, but usually such market moves are based on inside information.

I suspect that someone, not remotely connected to a Hedge Fund will make a lot of money, while the cannon fodder that voted for Brexit will lose.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:22 am

Entirely agree. Moggsy will be one of them and I bet he will be gambling on a deal of some sort as well.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:41 pm

Up to 1.32 against the dollar. Pretty slow rocket, as rockets go.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:39 am

laklak wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:41 pm
And looking at the bigger picture the pound has done nothing since it tanked between December 2015 and September 2016. The most precipitous drop occurred in the fortnight following the brexit referendum. Compared to that, it has pretty much remained stationary against the Euro ever since.

Screenshot from 2019-03-02 13-06-17.png
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

rainbow

Post by rainbow » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:17 am

laklak wrote:
With gearing, hedge funds can make a great deal of money on a relatively small movement. Of course when you're betting with someone else's money, there is no risk on the downside, but you can pay yourself a hefty bonus it it goes the 'right' way.
A zero sum game, so whatever they gain somebody else will lose.
BArF−4

rainbow

Post by rainbow » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:01 pm

1.173 Euro to the GBP.
BArF−4

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:03 pm

nice drop, a little effort and my euro will be worth more than it's number in pounds...
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:13 pm

Svartalf wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:03 pm
nice drop, a little effort and my euro will be worth more than it's number in pounds...
Well, it's up from 1.103 three months ago. The lowest point since the massive drop during the days following the Brexit referendum in July 2016 was 1.079 late in August 2017 and the highest 1.197 in April of the same year. So, not really much of a range.

ETA: I can't see any rocketing in either direction between the fallout from the referendum and now.
Screenshot from 2019-03-15 06-53-22.png
Screenshot from 2019-03-15 06-53-22.png (35.27 KiB) Viewed 2352 times
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Strontium Dog
About me: Navy Seals are not seals

Post by Strontium Dog » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:55 am

Hermit wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:39 am
laklak wrote:
And looking at the bigger picture the pound has done nothing since it tanked between December 2015 and September 2016. The most precipitous drop occurred in the fortnight following the brexit referendum. Compared to that, it has pretty much remained stationary against the Euro ever since.

It's funny, you can pinpoint the exact moment the Lib Dems left government...
100% verifiable facts or your money back. Anti-fascist. Enemy of woo - theistic or otherwise. Cloth is not an antiviral. Imagination and fantasy is no substitute for tangible reality. Wishing doesn't make it real.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Barry Goldwater

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:55 am

Strontium Dog wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:55 am
Hermit wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:39 am
laklak wrote:

It's funny, you can pinpoint the exact moment the Lib Dems left government...
7th of May 2015?

Screenshot from 2019-03-15 14-29-13.png

Strontium Dog

Post by Strontium Dog » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:06 pm

Ah, cherry-picking of data, that never gets old.
100% verifiable facts or your money back. Anti-fascist. Enemy of woo - theistic or otherwise. Cloth is not an antiviral. Imagination and fantasy is no substitute for tangible reality. Wishing doesn't make it real.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Barry Goldwater

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:45 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:06 pm
Let's see now. You quoted the screenshot of the British pound/euro exchange rate and wrote "you can pinpoint the exact moment the Lib Dems left government..." The exact moment the Lib Dems left government is outside the range of that screenshot, so I looked it up and posted another screenshot, which does pinpoint the exact moment the Lib Dems left government, plus the two days on either side of it. You have a definition of either "cherry-picking" or of "pinpoint the exact moment" or both that I am not familiar with, and I doubt that anyone else is either.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:36 am

The ref is counting that as a major take-down - Hermit is ahead on points... ;)
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Strontium Dog

Post by Strontium Dog » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:53 am

Hermit wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:45 pm
Strontium Dog wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:06 pm
Let's see now. You quoted the screenshot of the British pound/euro exchange rate and wrote "you can pinpoint the exact moment the Lib Dems left government..." The exact moment the Lib Dems left government is outside the range of that screenshot, so I looked it up and posted another screenshot, which does pinpoint the exact moment the Lib Dems left government, plus the two days on either side of it. You have a definition of either "cherry-picking" or of "pinpoint the exact moment" or both that I am not familiar with, and I doubt that anyone else is either.
The screenshot I was quoting goes back to May 2014, the Lib Dems left government in May 2015, so, no, it wasn't outside the range.

You then picked a week of data around the election where the pound fluctuated around 1.35-1.38, which obviously does not show the longer-term effects of the Lib Dems exiting government. A better indication of this is the fact the exchange rate was around 1.10 a mere 18 months after the Lib Dems left government. Of course, when the Lib Dems went into coalition, the rate was also a lot lower at 1.16, which is what it hovers around today.