Media Bias

BarnettNewman
extemporaneous

Re: Media Bias

Post by BarnettNewman » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:25 am

Cunt wrote: Like I said, he's like Oprah for dudes.
You keep saying that like it is a selling point.

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:17 pm

BarnettNewman wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:25 am
She's having an oestrogen moment.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:44 pm

BarnettNewman wrote:
What's wrong with comparing him to a successful TV show?

He has great guests, and talk deeply with them about their chosen subjects.

From MMA fighters, to Jack Dorsey (CEO of Twitter) to Neil DeGrasse Tyson, to various academics, scientists and researchers.

Hell, getting Elon Musk drunk and high to bullshit about his upcoming projects might even appeal to some of you more fashionable types.
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Joe

Post by Joe » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:26 pm

Cunt wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:44 pm
BarnettNewman wrote:

From MMA fighters, to Jack Dorsey (CEO of Twitter) to Neil DeGrasse Tyson, to various academics, scientists and researchers.

Hell, getting Elon Musk drunk and high to bullshit about his upcoming projects might even appeal to some of you more fashionable types.
Rogan has a good show, but at 3 hours long, it's a rare listen for me.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:35 pm

rainbow wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:57 pm
Forty Two wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:36 pm
This has nothing to do with communism. Since when does "communism = government?"
State ownership of the infrastructure.

You are in favour of this now?
The state always owns the government. That's not communism. Communism is an ideology involving class war and leading to a society in which all property and the means of production is publicly owned and each person works and is paid according to their abilities and needs. Having a government, or a police force, zoning ordinances, and the like, is not communism. Having public libraries, for example, is not communal reading - we have bookstores, and private ownership of the means of production of books.

The nonsense of conflating all government with communism is the far left's tactic to soften what communism actually is - the horror that it actually is - by suggestion "pshaw... so don't call that communal police force or fire department, then..." as of those things are "communist" by nature.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:38 pm

Joe wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:26 pm
Cunt wrote:
BarnettNewman wrote:

I started in with clips from Youtube. Now I'm drawn in to some of the full ones. I was very interested to hear Mike Tyson, how he grew up, how he changed after his boxing career. His new business interest was even a bit interesting.

His full show is usually worth it if you have an interest in the subject or person. I enjoyed most of the following guests.

Sam Harris
Elon Musk
Paul Stamets
Dr. Soh
Molly McKew
Neil Degrasse Tyson
Roseanne Barr

I think Roseanne was one of the best, beacuse I kind of joined the mob (in my mind) after she made the shit joke. I later changed my mind about it, and decided to listen to her.

What I found was that I had been intolerant and completely lacking in perspective about why I (and we) 'used' her as entertainment, why she was so funny, and where she came from.

Like the Mike Tyson interview, it had me thinking a bit more carefully about how we forgive, and IF we forgive.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

rainbow wrote:
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Joe

Post by Joe » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:58 pm

Cunt wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:38 pm
Joe wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:26 pm
Cunt wrote:
BarnettNewman wrote:

I started in with clips from Youtube. Now I'm drawn in to some of the full ones. I was very interested to hear Mike Tyson, how he grew up, how he changed after his boxing career. His new business interest was even a bit interesting.

His full show is usually worth it if you have an interest in the subject or person. I enjoyed most of the following guests.

Sam Harris
Elon Musk
Paul Stamets
Dr. Soh
Molly McKew
Neil Degrasse Tyson
Roseanne Barr

I think Roseanne was one of the best, beacuse I kind of joined the mob (in my mind) after she made the shit joke. I later changed my mind about it, and decided to listen to her.

What I found was that I had been intolerant and completely lacking in perspective about why I (and we) 'used' her as entertainment, why she was so funny, and where she came from.

Like the Mike Tyson interview, it had me thinking a bit more carefully about how we forgive, and IF we forgive.
It's useful to hear people in long form. Too often, the sound bites can mislead.

I usually queue Rogan up for cross country trips. If you get a chance, check out his interviews with Dan Carlin, one of the pioneers of podcasting.

That guy's podcast, Hardcore History, is great for intercontinental flights. :{D
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:02 pm

I haven't heard of Dan Carlin, but I'll go find it.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:21 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:35 pm
The nonsense of conflating all government with communism is the far left's tactic to soften what communism actually is
The nonsense of conflating all government with communism is the far right's tactic to harshen what government actually is. Venezuela!
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:51 pm

Forty Two wrote:
rainbow wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:57 pm
Forty Two wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:36 pm
This has nothing to do with communism. Since when does "communism = government?"
State ownership of the infrastructure.

You are in favour of this now?
The state always owns the government. That's not communism. Communism is an ideology involving class war and leading to a society in which all property and the means of production is publicly owned and each person works and is paid according to their abilities and needs. Having a government, or a police force, zoning ordinances, and the like, is not communism. Having public libraries, for example, is not communal reading - we have bookstores, and private ownership of the means of production of books.

The nonsense of conflating all government with communism is the far left's tactic to soften what communism actually is - the horror that it actually is - by suggestion "pshaw... so don't call that communal police force or fire department, then..." as of those things are "communist" by nature.
42, there is a continuous spectrum between virtually no government ownership and control (the ludicrous ultra-libertarian ideal) and total state ownership and control (old-style communism, clearly shown to be a dangerous failure). There is plenty of room for debate in the middle areas as to which human activities and structures are best suited to government ownership and/or control, and which are best left in private hands. One of the functions of a democracy is for voters in any given country to have a say on choosing the political party that best reflects the balance they prefer, one that will differ from country to country.

Some of your arguments seem a little on the paranoid side - you seem to suggest that the American "left" (such as it is) has a secret agenda to head way over to the communist end of the spectrum, even if their stated policies are little more than bog-standard European social democratic policies...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:15 pm

JimC wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:51 pm
even if their stated policies are little more than bog-standard European social democratic policies...
They're not even that far left. If the Dems were able to govern unmolested by Republicans for a couple decades, we'd probably end up more like *gasp* Canada, god forbid. 42's fear of Venezuelazation is beyond paranoid. It's downright cartoonish in its absurdity.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:21 pm

How could the US end up like Venezuela without the US intervention fucking it up?
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:28 pm

Animavore wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:21 pm
How could the US end up like Venezuela without the US intervention fucking it up?
I think that dictators masquerading as protectors of the people, plus appalling governance and economic management have done a pretty good job of that...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:55 pm

Seabass wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:21 pm
Forty Two wrote:
The nonsense of conflating all government with communism is the far left's tactic to soften what communism actually is
The nonsense of conflating all government with communism is the far right's tactic to harshen what government actually is. Venezuela!
Indeed, the far right as stupid as the far left. Good company.

Glad we can all agree that Venezuela's system was wrong-headed, though.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:05 pm

You are far-right. The entire Republican party is far-right.