Walls, They Are Ineffective At Keeping People Out

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Walls, They Are Ineffective At Keeping People Out

Post by Forty Two » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:48 pm

San Diego TV station: CNN declined our 'local view' because of reports on wall effectiveness https://thehill.com/homenews/media/4248 ... ts-on-wall
A San Diego television station on Thursday said that CNN had asked for a "local view" and then "declined to hear from us" after past reports from the station showed that a border wall was effective.
"Thursday morning, CNN called the KUSI Newsroom asking if one of our reporters could give them a local view of the debate surrounding the border wall and government shutdown," a report by KUSI, an independent station in San Diego that began airing in 1982, begins.

"KUSI offered our own Dan Plante, who has reported dozens of times on the border, including one story from 2016 that was retweeted by former Speaker of the House, Newt Gingrich, and posted on DrudgeReport.com," it continues while linking to a border fence tour report.

"We believe CNN declined a report from KUSI because we informed them that most Border Patrol Agents we have spoken to told us the barrier does in fact work," it concludes. "We have continuously been told by Border Patrol Agents that the barrier along the Southern border helps prevent illegal entries, drugs, and weapons from entering the United States, and the numbers prove it."
Which, of course, is counterintuitive, because, we all know from a lifetime of experience that walls are ineffective at discouraging or resisting human beings from entering walled-off areas. They may as well not be there.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

BarnettNewman
extemporaneous

Re: Walls, They Are Ineffective At Keeping People Out

Post by BarnettNewman » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:38 pm

3 found shot dead in luxury home in Texas gated community: report | Fox News
A San Antonio man found the woman he had been dating and two teenage girls shot dead inside a luxury home within a gated community where they all lived, reports said.

Investigators in Bexar County said the two teenagers appeared to have been murdered. Family members identified the woman as 37-year-old Nichol Olsen, the San Antonio Express-News reported. Authorities are working to determine if she was killed or committed suicide.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:29 am

BarnettNewman wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:38 pm
A San Antonio man found the woman he had been dating and two teenage girls shot dead inside a luxury home within a gated community where they all lived, reports said.

Investigators in Bexar County said the two teenagers appeared to have been murdered. Family members identified the woman as 37-year-old Nichol Olsen, the San Antonio Express-News reported. Authorities are working to determine if she was killed or committed suicide.
What's your argument? No point in having walls because they are not 100% effective? That's about as moronic as opposing gun control laws because they don't prevent 100% of all unlawful and accidental killings. I took you for better than that.

Don't mistake my comment as support for a coast to coast wall. I think with today's technologies more effective and far cheaper ways of minimising illegal crossings can be devised for much of the border.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:33 am

Hunter killer drones. 10 mile wide kill zone. Anyone who gets through goes in front of Judge Dredd.

I tell ya, put me in charge of the world and I'll sort this shit out in short order.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

BarnettNewman
extemporaneous

Post by BarnettNewman » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:12 am

Hermit wrote:
BarnettNewman wrote:

What's your argument? No point in having walls because they are not 100% effective? That's about as moronic as opposing gun control laws because they don't prevent 100% of all unlawful and accidental killings. I took you for better than that.

Don't mistake my comment as support for a coast to coast wall. I think with today's technologies more effective and far cheaper ways of minimising illegal crossings can be devised for much of the border.
I apologize. I didn’t know we were taking this thread seriously.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:19 am

BarnettNewman wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:12 am
Hermit wrote:
BarnettNewman wrote:

I apologize. I didn’t know we were taking this thread seriously.
I believe you. Thousands wouldn't, but I do.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Joe

Post by Joe » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:08 pm

This needed higher walls. The owner was killed by foreigners who crossed the border illegally.

And OP, this is intended as humor, so spare us a wall of pedantry. :biggrin:
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:16 pm

Fuck the wall, we need a dome.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:34 pm

You need to move to space. It's the only way to be sure.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:09 pm

You need a sort of sonic fence that obliterates anything that passes through it.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:29 pm

Satellites in geosynchronous orbit over the US-Mexico border than can drop ordinance on the illegals. It's the only way to be sure.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:37 pm

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:04 am

They're not just thick, they're succulent...
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:51 am

Hadrian’s wall is just up the road from me. It didn’t keep kilted bastits out very long!

Actually although it seems to have had a defensive role, it was probably as important as a trading and tax piece of infrastructure.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:21 am

The Antonine Wall is not far from me.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT