How idiotic is a country that shuts itself down

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Re: How idiotic is a country that shuts itself down

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:25 am

NATO should have been disbanded after the greatest con of all time; the Cold War. The USA just wants to keep a finger in the European pie. It does everything to destroy the EU. It even demoted the EU ambassador last year secretly. The 1% of the USA cant stand the success of the EU and the Euro.
As for the UN that is a laughing stock and always was. Just America's poodle. If had any self worth it would move itself to a neutral country. It costs millions and does nothing.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:01 pm

given Russia's barely diminished strength and obvious expansionist trends, I think that NATO sitll has a lot of relevance... this was not the endo of the soviet empire, just a restructuration... now, the bear is again ready to pounce, and we must be ready to repulse it.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:02 pm

What weird thoughts you have sometimes. Why would Russia pounce? What for? Russia earns nicely from the EU thank you very much. NATO has no relevance in today's world. Getting rid of Trump would do far more for world peace and keeping a useless organisation in place for an invisible enemy has no point.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:55 pm

Why does any country want to pounce on another?
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:05 pm

Exactly.

BarnettNewman
extemporaneous

Post by BarnettNewman » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:19 pm

Indeed. When was the last time Russia took over sovereign territory?

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:53 pm

In comparison to say the USA?

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:56 pm

JimC wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:00 am
Seriously, US dudes, just the fact that your political system lets this happen is completely fucking stupid. I'm not talking about the particular issues at the moment, or the usual democrat/republican infighting.

It's as if you as a country have an urge to self harm, often part of seriously neurotic behaviour in individual humans.

Let's see, what form will the "yebbut freedom..." argument take this time... :roll:
That's because it's not really shut down. It's only a small part of "non-essential" bits.

The hair-on-fire government shutdown nonsense is just political fanfare. Everything is fine. Most of people's day-to-day lives is handled at the State level, which is not subject to any shutdown. The military, homeland security, etc., all that sort of thing is still fine. Social security and disability checks still go out. Medicare is still running, and Trump put a hold on any Medicare cuts during the shutdown. The entire Department of Defense is going strong. Medicaid is still fully funded.

There are some inconveniences, but it mostly means a delay in some paychecks, and a delay in tax return processing. Granted, some people who live paycheck to paycheck may well have an issue. However, "In 2014, the average federal employee salary was $84,153, approximately 50% more than the average private sector worker earned. This discrepancy increases to 78% when benefits are included. The average federal worker costs the government (aka taxpayers) $119,934." https://www.huffingtonpost.com/moneytip ... 55508.html - and in 2016 total compensation was up to $123,000 https://www.fedsmith.com/2016/09/21/ave ... on-123160/ so, you know, they're "the rich," right?
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:01 pm

BarnettNewman wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:19 pm
2014, Crimea. :tea:
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

BarnettNewman
extemporaneous

Post by BarnettNewman » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:07 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:01 pm
BarnettNewman wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:19 pm
2014, Crimea. :tea:
Precisely

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:32 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:02 pm
What weird thoughts you have sometimes. Why would Russia pounce? What for? Russia earns nicely from the EU thank you very much. NATO has no relevance in today's world. Getting rid of Trump would do far more for world peace and keeping a useless organisation in place for an invisible enemy has no point.
don't zsk me why, all I know is that they fucked up royally MOldova, setting up a puppet rebel state in part of that country, then they annexed part of the Ukraine, and set up a state of war in the eastern part of there, all the while thoroughly denying their actions, and it's rather obvious that they still have their eyes well set on getting the Baltic states and finland back under their rule, the one reason they let Belarus alone is that it's virtually a client state. plus they no longer earn so well from the EU, not since their shenanigans in Ukraine earned them hurtful sanctions, even though they still sell off a lot of gas to countries who can't do without it.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:05 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:02 pm
What weird thoughts you have sometimes. Why would Russia pounce?
Because they have a history of pouncing.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:17 am

Forty Two wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:56 pm
JimC wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:00 am
Seriously, US dudes, just the fact that your political system lets this happen is completely fucking stupid. I'm not talking about the particular issues at the moment, or the usual democrat/republican infighting.

It's as if you as a country have an urge to self harm, often part of seriously neurotic behaviour in individual humans.

Let's see, what form will the "yebbut freedom..." argument take this time... :roll:
That's because it's not really shut down. It's only a small part of "non-essential" bits.

The hair-on-fire government shutdown nonsense is just political fanfare. Everything is fine. Most of people's day-to-day lives is handled at the State level, which is not subject to any shutdown. The military, homeland security, etc., all that sort of thing is still fine. Social security and disability checks still go out. Medicare is still running, and Trump put a hold on any Medicare cuts during the shutdown. The entire Department of Defense is going strong. Medicaid is still fully funded.

There are some inconveniences, but it mostly means a delay in some paychecks, and a delay in tax return processing. Granted, some people who live paycheck to paycheck may well have an issue. However, "In 2014, the average federal employee salary was $84,153, approximately 50% more than the average private sector worker earned. This discrepancy increases to 78% when benefits are included. The average federal worker costs the government (aka taxpayers) $119,934." https://www.huffingtonpost.com/moneytip ... 55508.html - and in 2016 total compensation was up to $123,000 https://www.fedsmith.com/2016/09/21/ave ... on-123160/ so, you know, they're "the rich," right?
Spoken like a true conservative. No fucks given if it doesn't affect you.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:06 am

6 figures and can't go a month without a paycheck?

Where do I sign up for this average Federal job? You pay me 85K in cash and another 35K in benefits, it's damn near impossible to fire me, give me lots of holidays and paid leave, good insurance, retirement plan, and the worst downside is once every few years I go without a paycheck for a month or two (which I eventually get in full)? Fuck me sideways, you won't see this boy bitching on TV.

I sure as hell never had a deal like that.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:36 am

laklak wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:06 am
6 figures and can't go a month without a paycheck?

Where do I sign up for this average Federal job? You pay me 85K in cash and another 35K in benefits, it's damn near impossible to fire me, give me lots of holidays and paid leave, good insurance, retirement plan, and the worst downside is once every few years I go without a paycheck for a month or two (which I eventually get in full)? Fuck me sideways, you won't see this boy bitching on TV.

I sure as hell never had a deal like that.
Most of the employees affected are right at the bottom end of the scale, from what I've read. Cleaning the toilets in a National Park doesn't earn much, but it sure makes a difference to the amenities. Your country is starting to stink... :tea:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!