Trump and Russia; Spasiba, Harasho!

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Re: Trump and Russia; Spasiba, Harasho!

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:30 am

It was very popular. Reminds me of the Cold War.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:55 am

Frightening?

Someone is trying to take entire countries offline and cybersecurity experts say 'it's a matter of time because it's really easy'
The West's biggest security weakness is in the old electronics and sensors that control processes in infrastructure and industry.

It's not that hard to take an entire country's internet offline — it has already happened at least twice.

Hackers used to be most interested in stealing your credit card data. Now they're looking to hobble major infrastructure like ports, power grids, and cities.

"The problem people don't realise is it becomes a weapon of mass destruction. You can take down a whole country. It can be done," a source tells Business Insider.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:15 pm

I don't think that Green Party candidate Jill Stein was aware of this, but I do think she fits the profile of 'useful idiot.'

'Russians launched pro-Jill Stein social media blitz to help Trump win election, reports say'
Building support for Stein was one of a “roster of themes” the Moscow-sanctioned internet trolls “turned to repeatedly” in their effort to disrupt the election, according to a research team led by the New Knowledge cybersecurity firm. The researchers also found that the campaign to bolster Stein gained in intensity in the final days of the presidential campaign and largely targeted African-American voters.

The reports, prepared by separate groups of cyber experts, add to the growing body of evidence that the Russians worked to boost the Stein campaign as part of the effort to siphon support away from Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton and tilt the election to Trump.

An NBC News analysis found that Russians working under the direction of the Internet Research Agency, the St. Petersburg-based firm run by a close ally of Russian President Vladimir Putin, tweeted the phrase “Jill Stein” over 1,000 times around the time of the election.

The posts were often accompanied by variations of the same hashtag, “Grow a spine and vote Jill Stein.”

There’s nothing in the reports to suggest that Stein was aware of the influence operation, but the Massachusetts physician has long been criticized for her support of international policies that mirror Russian foreign policy goals.

As a frequent guest on the Russian state-owned English language broadcast and online outlets RT and Sputnik, Stein has also benefited from Moscow’s help during her presidential runs in 2012 and 2016.

An NBC News review of the archives of RT and Sputnik, which the CIA has described as part of “Russia’s state-run propaganda machine,” from early 2015 to the 2016 election shows more than 100 stories, on-air and online, friendly to Stein and the Green Party.

Weiss said Moscow's support for Stein in fact began well before she became a presidential candidate.

“The Russian embrace of fringe voices like Stein goes back more than a decade to the earlier days of RT,” said Weiss.

Weiss also noted that the Stein campaign parroted the Russian position on Ukraine in 2016 and criticized the U.S. for installing a government in Kiev “hostile to Russia.”

In Feb. 2015, Stein announced her decision to form a presidential exploratory committee on the U.S.-based RT program “Redacted Tonight."

In the closing weeks of the campaign, RT quoted Stein suggesting that Hillary Clinton could lead the U.S. into a nuclear war with Russia and saying Trump was a safer choice.

"On the issue of war and nuclear weapons," Stein said, according to RT, "it is actually Hillary's policies which are much scarier than Donald Trump who does not want to go to war with Russia."

Most famously, Stein was one of two Americans invited to sit with Russian President Vladimir Putin at the head table of the RT 10th anniversary dinner in Dec. 2015. The other was General Michael Flynn, who was advising then candidate Donald J. Trump and is now awaiting sentencing in the special counsel’s probe of Russian interference in the 2016 election.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:04 am

"I recognize that the actions I acknowledged in court today were wrong, and, through my faith in God, I am working to set things right. My guilty plea and agreement to cooperate with the Special Counsel's Office reflects a decision I made in the best interests of my family and of our country. I accept full responsibility for my actions."
-- Michael Flynn, statement at plea hearing, December 2017

:tea:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:03 pm

That pesky bogus Steele dossier won't stay bogus, dammit! :lay:

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting
https://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/invest ... 16820.html
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:24 pm

Pee pee tapes?
trump leaks.jpg
trump leaks.jpg (55.66 KiB) Viewed 2398 times
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:43 am

Further details on the Manafort-Russia connection, including details about Manafort's involvement with Oleg Deripaska and associate Victor Boyarkin. It just so happens that the Trump administration is saying it wants to lift the sanctions from Deripaska's companies, while at the same time imposing sanctions on Boyarkin.

'Exclusive: Russian Ex-Spy Pressured Manafort Over Debts to an Oligarch'
When the U.S. government put out its latest sanctions list on Dec. 19, the man named at the top did not seem especially important. Described in the document as a former Russian intelligence officer, he was accused of handling money and negotiations on behalf of a powerful Russian oligarch. The document did not mention that the man, Victor Boyarkin, had links to the 2016 campaign of President Donald Trump.

A months-long investigation by TIME, however, found that Boyarkin, a former arms dealer with a high forehead and a very low profile, was a key link between a senior member of the Trump campaign and a powerful ally of Russian President Vladimir Putin.

In his only interview with the media about those connections, Boyarkin told TIME this fall that he was in touch with Trump’s then-campaign chairman, Paul Manafort, in the heat of the presidential race on behalf of the Russian oligarch. “He owed us a lot of money,” Boyarkin says. “And he was offering ways to pay it back.”

When he joined the campaign in the spring of 2016, Manafort was nearly broke. The veteran political consultant had racked up bills worth millions of dollars in luxury real estate, clothing, cars and antiques. According to allegations contained in court records filed in the U.S. and the Cayman Islands, he was also deeply in debt to Boyarkin’s boss, the Russian billionaire Oleg Deripaska, who was demanding money from Manafort over a failed business deal in Ukraine and other ventures.

Boyarkin says it fell to him to collect the debt from Manafort. “I came down on him hard,” he says. But the American proved elusive. In a petition filed in the Cayman Islands in 2014, lawyers for Deripaska, a metals tycoon with close ties to the Kremlin, complain that Manafort and his then-partner had “simply disappeared” with around $19 million of the Russian’s money.

When he reappeared in the headlines around April 2016, Manafort was serving as an unpaid adviser to the Trump campaign. He wanted his long-time patron in Moscow to know all about it.

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:28 am

Intriguing development in the sealed subpoena of a non-US government owned company.

'A Holiday Mystery: Why Did John Roberts Intervene in the Mueller Probe?'
A mysterious grand jury subpoena case has been working itself through the D.C. courts since August. Doughty reporting by Politico linked the grand jury case to special counsel Robert Mueller. Some of us, connecting the dots, wondered whether Mueller’s antagonist in this secret subpoena battle might be President Donald Trump himself. Speculation heightened two weeks ago when the D.C. Circuit cleared an entire floor of reporters assembled for the oral argument, in order to protect the identity of the litigants.

Four days later, the D.C. Circuit judges burst the speculative bubble with a decision that halfway revealed the identity of the party litigating against the government: not Trump, but an unnamed corporation (“the Corporation”) owned by an unnamed foreign state (“Country A”). Although the case is still plenty mysterious (What foreign state? What records of what transactions? Why the hard-fought litigation?), the evident fact that Trump was not directly involved in the litigation seemingly drained further proceedings of direct suspense. Mueller watchers headed off for the holidays.

And then, last week, on the Sunday before Christmas, Chief Justice John Roberts personally intervened in this matter.

That’s right: The chief justice of the United States himself issued an order on a Sunday, in this very case. If you think that’s highly unusual, you’re right. And the action he took was equally unusual. At least for the moment calling into question the unanimous decisions of the courts below, the chief justice blocked the District Court’s order requiring the foreign corporation to comply with the grand jury subpoena, until the government’s lawyers could respond to the Corporation’s briefings.

[W]e can read a good deal into his decision to intervene at all. Although every judge below agreed there was ultimately no merit to the Corporation’s legal claims, Roberts evidently harbors some doubt. Something in the Corporation’s papers caught his attention. So rather than consigning this appeal to the discard pile with thousands of others, he has blocked the lower courts’ decisions until he can receive the government’s briefs defending those decisions. Those papers must be filed no later than New Year’s Eve. Once he receives the full briefing, he can reject the Corporation’s appeal or he can advance the matter to the full court for consideration.

Until then, we can only wonder at the remarkable circumstance that the chief justice of the United States has personally intervened, at the request of a foreign government through its corporate entity, in Mueller’s investigation. Only two days before, court observers noted that in a high-profile asylum decision, Roberts had sided with his four liberal colleagues against the Trump administration. Many observers took that as evidence that Roberts was carefully seeking to preserve the court’s institutional neutrality, integrity and balance.

What are we to make of his pre-Christmas intervention on behalf of Country A and the Corporation, and against Mueller’s office? We may know soon. Mueller’s office filed its submission early, on Friday evening. We’ll keep our eyes glued to the docket.

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:23 pm

A central player in the Trump Tower "dirt on Clinton" meeting has been indicted in an apparently unrelated matter.

'Russian lawyer in Trump Tower meeting charged with obstruction'
A Russian lawyer who famously attended a meeting with top Trump campaign aides in 2016 has been charged in a separate obstruction of justice case.

Natalya Veselnitskaya is accused of fabricating evidence while working to defend a Russian company in 2013.

Prevezon Holdings was accused of participating in a tax fraud scheme that laundered $230m (£180m).

Officials have confirmed Ms Veselnitskaya is now wanted by the US Attorney's Office in New York.

An indictment, unsealed on Tuesday, accuses the lawyer of submitting an "intentionally misleading declaration" to the US government in defence of the company, after it requested information from Russia in relation to the case.

"Veselnitskaya's declaration presented supposed investigative findings by the Russian government - findings purportedly exonerating Veselnitskaya's clients - under the false pretence that these findings had been independently drafted by the Russian government," the indictment says.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:36 pm

Hey, NPC's, did the Democrats really just spend half a billion building a wall (for another country to protect its border)?
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:17 pm

From the failed redactions in the Manafort defense filing, we learn that Manafort shared Trump campaign polling data with Kilimnik, known as 'the guy from the GRU' (Russian military intelligence), among other things. The filing basically claims that when Manafort denied this, it was because it had just slipped his mind.

'Manafort’s poorly redacted filing reveals new Mueller investigation details'
There have long been questions about Manafort’s contacts with Kilimnik during the campaign. Soon after he signed on with Trump, Manafort emailed Kilimnik asking, “how do we use to get whole” and “Has OVD operation seen?” These are the initials of Oleg Deripaska, a Russian billionaire to whom Manafort was heavily indebted.

The pair continued to exchange emails about Deripaska, often in vague, coded language, as the summer of 2016 went on. “I met today with the guy who gave you your biggest black caviar jar several years ago,” Kilimnik wrote in July. “I have several important messages from him to you.” A few weeks later, the two met in New York, but we don’t know what happened there. (Manafort was ousted from the Trump campaign later in August.)

After Manafort agreed to cooperate with Mueller last September, he was questioned extensively about Kilimnik — and he failed to fess up about the details of their meetings and contacts.

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:34 am

The anonymous non-US company that's fighting a grand jury (generally believed to be the Mueller grand jury) subpoena has lost in a ruling by the US Supreme Court. I expect it can afford the $50,000 a day fine which will result from non-compliance.

'Supreme Court Rejects Mystery Company in Case Linked to Mueller'
The U.S. Supreme Court refused to shield a mystery company from having to provide information in what is believed to be the criminal investigation being conducted by Special Counsel Robert Mueller.

Acting on a sealed request from the company and making no comment, the justices Tuesday declined to block a federal appeals court ruling that apparently favored Mueller. The appeals court upheld daily fines -- revealed Tuesday to be $50,000 a day -- against the company, owned by an unidentified foreign country, for failing to comply with a grand jury subpoena.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:15 am

Hey, there's nothing illegal about sharing campaign polling data with the intelligence services of a foreign power.

... oh, hang on. :think:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:19 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:15 am
Hey, there's nothing illegal about sharing campaign polling data with the intelligence services of a foreign power.

... oh, hang on. :think:
I guess I don't see exactly what is so sensitive about this kind of polling data. Doesn't facebook provide richer, more comprehensive data to the highest bidders?
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:28 am

Does Facebook appear to be in cahoots with the intelligence services of a foreign power in order to get itself elected president? If Facebook sought the assistance of the Russian intelligence services to help Facebook get elected what price do you think the Russians would exact?

Frank Zappa