How idiotic is a country that shuts itself down

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Re: How idiotic is a country that shuts itself down

Post by Cunt » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:54 pm

Rum wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:48 am
The executive is too close to the administration in my view. Here in the UK, whatever the faults of our system the 'Civil Service' actually runs the country and they carry out whatever idiotic policy the current government want them to. They curb some of their excesses and encourage boldness in other areas. In my last job I had contact with some of those guys on the education side. They were pretty impressive on the whole.
The bureaucracy runs things, at least everywhere I've seen.

I know there is some valid upset among us lawmakers, that their job (making law) has been dodged, and they instead leave the actual lawmaking to bureaucrats of various agencies, who are not elected.

Here in Canada, it's like a running joke. Government employees don't do 'work', they instead foist it off on consultants. Those consultants then do the actions, and if those actions get someone in trouble, it is easy to fire the consultant instead of pinning the responsibility to the government employee.

I know one lady in town who rose high enough to get fired. Get fired she did (from an HR blunder) but now works as a consultant to government (in the same field) and runs a 'Non Government Organization' using those same contacts.

It reminds me of hearing that old quote about Germany during the 30's and 40's...Hitler could NOT have taken over the country, had the clerks and bookkeepers refused him. I can't remember where I heard it, but the bureaucracy always rules.

In the USA a new administration brings with it, what seems to me to be a whole bunch of new heads of the big state departments. Besides anything else it seems very inefficient if they have to get to grips with the nuts and bolts of it all every four years. The thought of a Prime Minister here 'shutting down' government in a temper tantrum is totally off the wall. I'm sure - I know - it would not be possible.
I don't even understand what it means. It sounds like a hissy fit...the government shuts down every weekday evening, and every long weekend. What is it that they are missing out on? I mean, aside from pay for low-level workers...?
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:04 pm

Joe wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:30 pm
Or we could blame U. S. Grant, since the law was passed on his watch, but I blame Congress and the President together.

I mean, they have one job.... :x
That's one of the problems, if you pay people a lot of money to make laws, they sit around making laws.

As a Southerner, I blame U.S. Grant for a lot of shit. Him and that butcher, W.T. Sherman.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Joe

Post by Joe » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:06 pm

Svartalf wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:34 pm
and that job is to keep the country running, if they can't managed it, they ought to be ex post facto impeached en masse and new elections set up to find suitable replacements
Yep, that's the job. As an independent, I don't give a shit what party started it, if the bums can't do their fucking job, we should show them the door.

That we don't speaks volumes about how idiotic a country that shuts itself down is.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

laklak

Post by laklak » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:09 pm

i hates them all. Nasty, fat Politicianses.

Joe

Post by Joe » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:13 pm

laklak wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:04 pm
Joe wrote:
Or we could blame U. S. Grant, since the law was passed on his watch, but I blame Congress and the President together.

That's one of the problems, if you pay people a lot of money to make laws, they sit around making laws.

As a Southerner, I blame U.S. Grant for a lot of shit. Him and that butcher, W.T. Sherman.
Well, I figure part of that problem is we let them sit too long. What's the old saying? "Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often, for the same reason."
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Joe

Post by Joe » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:13 pm

laklak wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:09 pm
i hates them all. Nasty, fat Politicianses.
:funny:

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:19 pm

Joe wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:13 pm
laklak wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:04 pm
Joe wrote:

Well, I figure part of that problem is we let them sit too long. What's the old saying? "Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often, for the same reason."
Nice saying, I'm stealing it.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:51 pm

All those government workers, no money coming in over Christmas...

Rich cunts like Trump and corrupt US politicians don't give a fuck, of course...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:00 am

..and large numbers of Mericans think it is just fine cos Jesus h Christ gummit is bad perud!

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:01 pm

Just part of the most stupid political system ever. POTUS as far to much power. Is elected by a corrupt system. Congress is where power should be but there is no stability because they are always working on their next elections.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:16 am

Gotta love Trump's 2013 interview with Fox News. Then his argument was that shutdowns are failures of presidents, and that they need to get fired for not doing their job properly.

Elisabeth Hasselbeck: Who’s getting fired? Who’s going to bear the brunt of the responsibility if indeed there is a government shutdown?

Donald Trump: If you say who gets fired it always has to be the top. Problems start from the top and they have to get solved from the top. And the president’s the leader. He’s got to get everyone in a room and he’s gotta lead.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:24 am

laklak wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:19 pm
He was Carter's AG, therefore it's Carter's fault. That's conventional wisdom, innit? Whoever is President is responsible for anything and everything that happens on their watch.
One might say that after 2 years and having a Republican controlled Congress and Senate, that Trump did not deliver on the Wall.
Maybe he was bright enough to work out what a stupid idea it was.
Now he can blame the Democrats for the Wall not being built.

...however that might be cynical. :thinks:
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

laklak

Post by laklak » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:08 pm

Cynicism has no place in politics! :prof:

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:55 am

An article on the ABC news site which shows how the continuing shutdown is affecting both individual workers and the US economy:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-10/ ... y/10704900

Are Americans familiar with the phrase "Cutting off your nose to spite your face"?

:roll:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:19 am

How often do they do this? I know both sides do it, and the claims are that the Dems tend to do it more, but if it is a tactic abused by both sides, it kind of needs pointing out at times like this.

Wasn't the last hissyfit shutdown the one where they made everyone take Obamacare?
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.