Even more problematic stuff

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: Even more problematic stuff

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:27 pm

laklak wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:18 pm
Me neither, though it's hard to argue that Ted Bundy didn't deserve it. Personally I'd rather they kill me quick than stick me in prison for life, particularly in some SuperMax hellhole. Plus it's expensive as shit to execute anyone, I read some stats that said it costs Florida at least $10,000,000 for all the appeals and whatnot for a single case. We've got 348 on death row as of last November, so that's a lot of money.
Hey, a pretty boy like you lak... you'd have no trouble in supermax. :naughty:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

keep it real

Post by keep it real » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:31 pm

I've been rewatching watching OZ -Season 4 and Ryan O'Riley keeps getting forced to have sex with a female CO :lou:

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:38 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:27 pm
Hey, a pretty boy like you lak... you'd have no trouble in supermax. :naughty:
What happens in Supermax stays in Supermax.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:42 pm

BarnettNewman wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:17 pm
What cunt is failing to remember is that reinstating capital punishment would nullify any number of extradition treaties Canada has with other nations. Like Brexit, people don’t always understand the ramifications of their desires.
:nono: Remember, please that it's Cunt with a capital C...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:59 pm

JimC wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:05 pm
I suppose the death penalty is fairly binary (you either have one or you don't), but even then there can be degrees of application. You could have the death penalty apply automatically to any convicted murderer, no special pleading allowed. Or you could have it available, but only used in the most extreme cases...
Always trying to insist there is a 'middle-ground' huh?

If you stand against capitol punishment, there IS no middle ground where you execute some criminals.

Shit, if you really think middle ground exists all the time, you haven't considered any really hard questions.
BarnettNewman wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:17 pm
What cunt is failing to remember is that reinstating capital punishment would nullify any number of extradition treaties Canada has with other nations. Like Brexit, people don’t always understand the ramifications of their desires.
I remember, but I was simply putting forward an example of a question without middle ground.

Governments would be ignoring the wishes of a BUNCH of people, no matter what they decide on this question. (like many questions)
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:06 pm

keep it real wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:31 pm
I've been rewatching watching OZ -Season 4 and Ryan O'Riley keeps getting forced to have sex with a female CO :lou:
Given the power disparity in their roles - they a prisoner and they a guard - it would seem that conventional wisdom would have it that his consent is not effective.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:01 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:06 pm
keep it real wrote:
Given the power disparity in their roles - they a prisoner and they a guard - it would seem that conventional wisdom would have it that his consent is not effective.
:dance:

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:15 pm

I think there is ALWAYS a power disparity (between any two people)

Does that mean all sex is rape?
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:21 pm

I think not. There must be an acceptable degree of power disparity between those involved before the real potential for abuse exists; much depends on how the advantaged party approaches/initiates the affair as well I think.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:42 pm

Cunt wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:15 pm
I think there is ALWAYS a power disparity (between any two people)

Does that mean all sex is rape?
Some have theorized that, yes, all heterosexual sex is rape of the woman, because the patriarchy inherently classes men as oppressor, privlleged and with power, and the women are oppressed and powerless. That's why women cannot be sexist - sexism is prejudice plus power. And, when it comes to consent, consent is not real consent if there is a power disparity.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:50 pm

Jason wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:21 pm
I think not. There must be an acceptable degree of power disparity between those involved before the real potential for abuse exists; much depends on how the advantaged party approaches/initiates the affair as well I think.
This muddles the issue.

The degree of power disparity which invalidates consent does not mean that consent was not given. It means consent is not relevant to the determination of whether an offense occurred. Like statutory rape - saying the girl was 17 doesn't mean she did not consent, simply because the "age of consent" is 18. The 17 year old may well have consented with vigor and without reservation, wholeheartedly and whole-every-other-organ-ly. The law simply removes lack of consent as an element of the crime - it doesn't say 17 year olds are not able to consent.

With the degree of power disparity - that's a big grey area. Was a time not too long ago where college students fucking their teachers was not seen as some kind ofpower disparity invalidatign consent. Look at the movie Animal House, where Katy cheats on Boone with the the college professor, Donald Sutherland. The zeitgeist has changed, to the point where adults are more and more infantilized (compared to just a few decades ago), and where a person who sucks off a professor would be presumed have the mental capacity choose whether or not to suck the dick, is now often presumed by many to be mentally incapable of resisting all requests for suckage that aren't made with obsequious supplication and disclaimers.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:52 pm

You just think you're upset now 42. Wait till they introduce the technology to go along with their science. I wonder what my power rating will be? How will we adjust them to make ourselves compatible with others?

--this is where you say, common sense is dead! :hehe:

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:04 pm

Jason wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:01 pm
Forty Two wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:06 pm
keep it real wrote:
:dance:
I should have said "their" consent is not effective.

Only, wording it that way is both proper and problematic. I am using the correct "they" to refer to a singular person, but the possessive "their" may reference them both, implying that it's both of them. That would be blaming the victim and rape apology. Only... .who's the victim and who is the perpetrator here?

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:07 pm

This is not a parody....
cringe.jpg
cringe.jpg (8.19 KiB) Viewed 2351 times

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:17 pm

Hey what's in this drink?
Pomegranate Lacroix.

:fp: