That's amazing ! Post incredible facts here.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Re: That's amazing ! Post incredible facts here.

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:30 pm

Food quality, price and convenience.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:37 pm

DRSB wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:27 pm
Why, oh, why are the English fatter than ever before? :ask:
The English have never been fatter, with 4 per cent of adults now morbidly obese and nine out of ten leading unhealthy lifestyles, a survey says.

Figures from the Health Survey for England found levels of morbid obesity, classed as a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or above, at their highest level. The survey of almost 8,000 adults and 2,000 children found that among women, 5 per cent were morbidly obese, compared with 1 per cent in 1993
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/engl ... 1544009459

Tell you what, I have been observing the same thing in Russia.
Sad to say it appears to be relative poverty, a fact of life here during the years of so called austerity. Poorer people buy cheaper food, which tends to be higher in sugar and fat content.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:34 am

It is processed food and convenient. Just bulk. Fish and chips is relatively good value for calories it gives.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:59 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:34 am
It is processed food and convenient. Just bulk. Fish and chips is relatively good value for calories it gives.
Fish and chips are for the most part too expensive these days at £5 or %6 a pop. For many families, it is a 'special treat'. Discount supermarkets (European ones like Lidl and Aldi) - they are much cheaper than the old Brit ones and are slowly getting more and more market share, sell very low cost, high calory stuff. A few years I actually compared a few labels and there was noticeably more fat content in things like ready meals. Of course those on a low income buy that stuff. As a rule many do not know better.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:14 pm

Not surprised really. Too fresh.
Were you able to read the labels? We dont have an Aldi or Lidl on this side of the city. In fact there is only one on the south side in the arso district (yes we do have one). I think it is a Lidl but I have never been there.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:38 pm

Food is affordable. Eating badly is convenient.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:03 pm

Scott Dutchy wrote a post wherein he said he loved something! Yes, he did! He really did!
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:18 pm

:funny:
A Horse's Tail
-- Author unknown

Does the statement, "Because we've always done it that way"... ring any bells?
The U.S. standard railroad gauge (the distance between the rails) is 4 feet, 8.5 inches. That's an exceedingly odd number.
Why was that gauge used?
Because that's the way they built them in England, and English expatriates built the US Railroads.
Why did the English build them like that?
Because the first rail lines were built by the same people who built the pre-railroad tramways, and that's the gauge they used.
Why did they use that gauge then?
Because the people who built the tramways used the same jigs and tools that they used for building wagons, which used that wheel spacing.
Okay! Why did the wagons have that particular odd wheel spacing?
Well, if they tried to use any other spacing, the wagon wheels would break on some of the old, long distance roads in England, because that's the spacing of the wheel ruts.
So who built those old rutted roads?
Imperial Rome built the first long distance roads in Europe (and England) for their legions. The roads have been used ever since.
And the ruts in the roads?
Roman war chariots formed the initial ruts, which everyone else had to match for fear of destroying their wagon wheels. Since the chariots were made for Imperial Rome, they were all alike in the matter of wheel spacing.
The United States standard railroad gauge of 4 feet, 8.5 inches is derived from the original specifications for an Imperial Roman war chariot. And bureaucracies live forever.
So, the next time you are handed a spec and told we have always done it that way and wonder what horse's ass came up with that, you may be exactly right, because the Imperial Roman war chariots were made just wide enough to accommodate the back ends of two war horses.
Now, here's the twist to the story...
Remember the Space Shuttle? Picture it sitting on its launch pad before takeoff. There are two big booster rockets attached to the sides of the main fuel tank. These are solid rocket boosters, or SRBs. The SRBs were made by Thiokol at their factory in Utah. The engineers who designed the SRBs would have preferred to make them a bit fatter, but the SRBs had to be shipped by train from the factory to the launch site.
The railroad line from the factory happens to run through a tunnel in the mountains. The SRBs had to fit through that tunnel. The tunnel is slightly wider than the railroad track, and the railroad track, as you now know, is about as wide as two horses' behinds.
So, a major Space Shuttle design feature of what was arguably the world's most advanced transportation system was determined over two thousand years ago by the width of a horse's ass.
And you thought being a horse's ass wasn't important.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:31 pm

It is brilliant! I have seen it before. But it weird.
Spain changed it as defence against France.
I travelled this year on the Spanish gauge or better know as the Iberian gauge; 1668mm or 5 foot, five and five-eights inches. The trains are much wider. The first class is ridiculously spacious.
Standard gauge is 1435mm.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:24 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:38 pm
Food is affordable. Eating badly is convenient.
Yep. There's probably also a level of coping strategy going on. Fat and sugar taste great, and people use that as a crutch to put a bit of good feeling into their otherwise shit lives.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:29 pm

I know that since I've been majorly depressed, since late november, I've been eating like 3 ogres put together, not that it makes me feel really better, but eating, especially comfort foods takes my mind away from my misery at least while I'm eating.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:30 pm

Olanzapine is bad for that. I put on 10 kilos soon after starting on it.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:44 am

DRSB wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:18 pm
A Horse's Tail
-- Author unknown

Does the statement, "Because we've always done it that way"... ring any bells?
The U.S. standard railroad gauge (the distance between the rails) is 4 feet, 8.5 inches. That's an exceedingly odd number.
Why was that gauge used?
Because that's the way they built them in England, and English expatriates built the US Railroads.
Why did the English build them like that?
Because the first rail lines were built by the same people who built the pre-railroad tramways, and that's the gauge they used.
Why did they use that gauge then?
Because the people who built the tramways used the same jigs and tools that they used for building wagons, which used that wheel spacing.
Okay! Why did the wagons have that particular odd wheel spacing?
Well, if they tried to use any other spacing, the wagon wheels would break on some of the old, long distance roads in England, because that's the spacing of the wheel ruts.
So who built those old rutted roads?
Imperial Rome built the first long distance roads in Europe (and England) for their legions. The roads have been used ever since.
And the ruts in the roads?
Roman war chariots formed the initial ruts, which everyone else had to match for fear of destroying their wagon wheels. Since the chariots were made for Imperial Rome, they were all alike in the matter of wheel spacing.
The United States standard railroad gauge of 4 feet, 8.5 inches is derived from the original specifications for an Imperial Roman war chariot. And bureaucracies live forever.
So, the next time you are handed a spec and told we have always done it that way and wonder what horse's ass came up with that, you may be exactly right, because the Imperial Roman war chariots were made just wide enough to accommodate the back ends of two war horses.
Now, here's the twist to the story...
Remember the Space Shuttle? Picture it sitting on its launch pad before takeoff. There are two big booster rockets attached to the sides of the main fuel tank. These are solid rocket boosters, or SRBs. The SRBs were made by Thiokol at their factory in Utah. The engineers who designed the SRBs would have preferred to make them a bit fatter, but the SRBs had to be shipped by train from the factory to the launch site.
The railroad line from the factory happens to run through a tunnel in the mountains. The SRBs had to fit through that tunnel. The tunnel is slightly wider than the railroad track, and the railroad track, as you now know, is about as wide as two horses' behinds.
So, a major Space Shuttle design feature of what was arguably the world's most advanced transportation system was determined over two thousand years ago by the width of a horse's ass.
And you thought being a horse's ass wasn't important.
What a giggle. I love that story. :lol:

However ;)

There was no such thing as a standard railroad gauge to start with. Not in the US, where there were at least three variants, nor in many other countries. In Australia, for instance, each of the six colonies decided on its own. Until 1962, trips between Australia's two biggest cities, beautiful , cultured Sydney and drab, uncivilised Melbourne, involved having to change from one train to another in Albury, a town at the border between New South Wales and Victoria because of the difference in gauges used in each colony.

Here is a list of 19 of gauges used throughout the world. They range from 600 to 2140 millimetres in width.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:55 am

Hermit wrote:Until 1962, trips between Australia's two biggest cities, beautiful , cultured Sydney and drab, uncivilised Melbourne

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:08 am

We are not amused... :dq:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!