Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:51 am

The con is over.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Re: Bitcoin about to Pop

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:52 am

If the con is over then bitcoin won't be here in a year's time. Are you ready to take that bet?
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:11 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:52 am
If the con is over then bitcoin won't be here in a year's time. Are you ready to take that bet?
You still dont get it do you. The con/scam is the ones who have started it are rich at the expense of those who later joined and as long as more idiots join the longer they will try to make their profit by trying to attract new idiots. The hype will continue because it is the nature of the beast which is driven by greed.
Why are there so many cryptocurrencies? Simple because everyone with a brain cell knows you have to be in at the beginning to make a profit. Joining later only makes a profit for those already in.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:39 am

pErvinalia wrote:
If the con is over then bitcoin won't be here in a year's time.
Your notion that cons cannot survive for longer than a year has me mystified.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:03 pm

Does longevity prove it is not a con/scam?

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:19 pm

longevity does not prove it, but continued activity, as opposed to a total breakdown tends to show it has some value, then again, it might indeed work like a pyramid scheme where early birds, or those with the means to mine get a lot reacher than latecomers with little in the way of means.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:55 pm

Svartalf wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:19 pm
longevity does not prove it, but continued activity, as opposed to a total breakdown tends to show it has some value, then again, it might indeed work like a pyramid scheme where early birds, or those with the means to mine get a lot reacher than latecomers with little in the way of means.
That is my take on it Svarty. The number of cryptocurrencies also makes it obvious what it is.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:06 pm

I'm guessing their way forward involved getting more merchants on board. They were selling bitcoin as a way to get out of the traditional system. Therefore they could add value by growing the base of people willing to trade in bitcoin. But how many people have they managed to convince? More importantly, how many must they convince?

I read that growth has stopped. People aren't coming on board. They aren't able to attract new customers at an increasing rate. But the coin to break the barrier could be just around the corner...

:hehe: I almost sold myself there.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:25 pm

The one just over the horizon. I know this guy who knows a guy who heard of a guy that was going to start a crypto... Its worth a bob or two you never know. :funny:

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:51 pm

Hermit wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:39 am
pErvinalia wrote:
He specifically said the con is over.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:50 pm

pErvinalia wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:51 pm
Hermit wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:39 am
pErvinalia wrote:
He specifically said the con is over.
That does not mean crypto-currencies will disappear in a year. Bitcoin has been traded in the 3.5 to 1000 US dollar range for eight years since its inception in 2009. The currency bubble commenced in January 2017, hit its peak eleven months later, and has been deflating ever since. I see no reason why bitcoin could not keep trading in its previous range for many years to come. Homœopathy has persevered for more than two centuries and the god concept for many more millennia. That there vash von fool born every minute.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:08 am

That's nice, but I was responding to his claim that the con was over - i.e. everyone knows it's a con. If everyone knows it's a con, then it should be dead pretty soon (like all the actual cryptocurrency cons - which you guys probably don't know about, given how you have no problem discussing a subject you clearly are ignorant of).

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:46 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:08 am
That's nice, but I was responding to his claim that the con was over - i.e. everyone knows it's a con. If everyone knows it's a con, then it should be dead pretty soon (like all the actual cryptocurrency cons - which you guys probably don't know about, given how you have no problem discussing a subject you clearly are ignorant of).
My guess is that 99.75666% of the population that is aware of the existence of homœopathy knows that it doesn't fucking work. And yet, homœopathy keeps right on going, even though it is dwarfed by medicine that works. Same can be said of psychoanalysis. The Freud bubble had finally burst toward the end of the 1960s, and yet there are a few psychoanalysts left, and they do have some customers still. In comparison to psychiatry psychoanalysis is only barely detectable. Bitcoin and its imitations will be trickling along for many more years after the bulk of its participants has become disillusioned. Some will remain rusted on, of course and a few suckers will get attracted to it in the hope of getting rich or seeing it as a means to buy drugs/avoid tax. As I mentioned above, there's one born every minute.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:10 am

Homoeopathy probably works to an extent because of the placebo effect. And psychoanalysis isn't a con. It a technique that has largely been superseded by better techniques. Try again.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:32 am

A friend of mine uses a homeopathic dentist. I have NO fucking idea how that's supposed to work.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.