Global Climate Change Science News

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Re: Global Climate Change Science News

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:13 am

How are you going to capture cow methane?
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:10 am

Big plastic bags? Pipes up arses? :lol:
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:31 am

:coffee:
Cow Tank.jpg
Cow Tank.jpg (48.01 KiB) Viewed 3946 times

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:02 pm

:lol: As long as it does not pop.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:07 pm

I wonder if the Orange Cunt would read this.

Policies of China, Russia and Canada threaten 5C climate change, study finds
Ranking of countries’ goals shows even EU on course for more than double safe level of warming

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:23 pm

That will just embolden him to do nothing, because Chaina.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:53 am

A big number of school kids are protesting today about government inaction on climate change. Good on them.

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:55 am

One guy posted this on FB, climate change is no matter of maths, is it?
Scientists from the Princeton University and the University of California-San Diego have owned-up to major mathematical errors in their recent study claiming that the Earth's oceans were warming much quicker than previously thought.

The study was published earlier this month in journal Nature. It claimed that oceans across the world had absorbed up 60 per cent more heat between 1991 and 2016 than previously thought.

The study suggested that global warming was at an even more advanced stage than previously believed, and that the most ambitious carbon emission goals agreed under the Paris Agreement would need to be slashed again by an additional 25 per cent to prevent disaster.

The story received extensive coverage in the mainstream media and grabbed the attention of scientific community around the world.

However, the conclusion came under scrutiny after Nicholas Lewis, a mathematician and independent climate science researcher based in the UK, raised doubts about the findings, highlighting that there were some 'serious errors' in the research.

"After correction, the... results do not suggest a larger increase in ocean heat content than previously thought," Lewis claimed on the blog of Judith Curry, another well-known critic.
https://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/news/3067026 ... eTPH5uT4yU

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:43 pm

Judith Curry wrote the book on the thermodynamics of atmospheres and oceans, but while this examination of the paper in question might throws some doubt on the validity of the data or the methodologies of the study etc, it should not be forgotten that the conclusions of those working in this field tally with respect to there being a trend towards an increasing rate of oceanic temperature rises for the entire period for which data is available.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:43 pm

The ocean is a little more difficult to measure than the atmosphere. It has an enormous heat capacity compared to air. Probably caused a lot of delay in past climate changes.
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:51 pm

”It does not feel warm.” ”They are exaggerating it.”
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... e-scenario

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:11 pm

Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:23 pm

haha

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:01 pm

A real, significant impact on climate change possible? https://www.businessinsider.com/aleph-f ... eo-2018-12

My position has been for some time that the solution to the causes of climate change is technology and science.

Here, we have a company that says it can now grow steak in a lab.

Assuming the mass production of factory produced steak, chicken, turkey and pork were possible, and we could then massively reduce the cow, chicken, turkey and pig populations in the world. Would that impact the emissions that are causing climate change?
in an average American diet, beef consumption creates 1,984 pounds of CO2e annually. Replacing beef with plants would reduce that figure 96 percent, bringing it down to just 73 pounds of CO2e.
https://climatenexus.org/climate-issues ... te-change/

So, wouldn't it be equally or nearly equally as good to produce beef in a factory, with no need for animals? And, a quick google search comes up with a result where some scientists are saying the same thing - https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... -emissions
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:09 pm

Washington (AP) -- The head of the government agency that monitors climate change says that in nearly two years he has never discussed the issue with President Donald Trump.

Timothy GallaudetSource: NOAA
Acting National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration chief Adm. Timothy Gallaudet said in a press conference at a scientific meeting this week, "I personally have not briefed the president on climate change."

Gallaudet said he doesn't know if others had briefed the president. He did note that he was in the room when Trump signed a bill aimed at keeping plastic trash out of the ocean

By contrast, Oregon State University marine ecologist Jane Lubchenco, who served as NOAA chief in the first four years of the Obama administration, said she talked with President Barack Obama about climate change every two to three months.

"I have been told by my various predecessors that most never met with the President, of if they did, it was only once or twice," Lubchenco said in an email Tuesday. "I think this says more about President Obama than it does about other NOAA Administrators."

Obama, she said, "consistently highlighted science as a key underpinning of his administration."

Obama's science adviser, John Holdren, estimates that over eight years he briefed the president about climate change more than 50 times.

Trump has dismissed his administration's warnings about the impact of climate change, including a recent government forecast that it could lead to economic losses of hundreds of billions of dollars a year by the end of the century.

"There is no sign that President Trump is interested in input from anybody on the scientific facts around climate change," said Holdren, now a professor of environmental policy at Harvard. "And his uninformed rejection of those facts — reflected in his administration's misguided policies on coal, offshore drilling, automotive fuel economy, clean-energy R&D, the Paris Agreement, and assistance to developing countries on climate-change mitigation and adaptation — is doing immense damage to the prospects for averting a wholly unmanageable degree of global climate change."

The White House Office of Science and Technology and Policy hasn't been briefing the president because it is waiting for its director to be confirmed by the Senate, according to a source familiar with the office who asked not to be identified so as not to conflict with White House messaging. Trump nominated University of Oklahoma meteorology professor Kelvin Droegemeier in July, 18 months after taking office.

Commerce Department spokeswoman Rebecca Glover, asked about whether Trump had been briefed, said in a statement that NOAA representatives meet "with the White House on a regular basis on a wide variety of topics that impact the U.S. and U.S. policy." She did not say whom at the White House was briefed.

The White House said the president gets energy and climate briefings from its own policy people, not specifically addressing briefings from scientists and on climate science.

Gallaudet acknowledged the lack of presidential briefings during a meeting this week of the American Geophysical Union.

"Climate change is real, and we are already suffering the serious consequences. Humans are the dominant cause and if we don't take urgent action it will only get worse. That's a conclusion based on real scientific data," said Chris McEntee, chief executive officer of the 100-year-old scientific society. "The president of the United States has access to some of the best scientific data and the brightest scientific minds in the world — in his own agencies and through reports like the recent National Climate Assessment. It is critical that he access that expertise and data to avoid further risk to the health and safety of the American public."

Pennsylvania State University ice scientist Richard Alley, a Republican most of his life, said: "Many scientists_dedicated, nonpartisan, knowledgeable — would happily provide administration officials with briefings or background information. The science is solid, and the full scholarship shows that making efficient use of our scientific knowledge will help the economy as well as the environment."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... on-warming