That's amazing ! Post incredible facts here.

DRSB

Re: That's amazing ! Post incredible facts here.

Post by DRSB » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:04 am

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:14 am

wow, somebody could actually film that and come back up unhurt?
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Joe

Post by Joe » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:59 pm

An audio reconstruction of the minute World War I ended. It's worth a listen.
As we approach the centenary of the Armistice on November 11, the Imperial War Museum has released a recording of the moment the war ended, patched together using recordings from their collections. The artillery activity it illustrates was recorded on the American front near the River Moselle, one minute before and one minute after the war ended.
Sorry, I don't know how to embed the video.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:20 pm

There’s been a lot on the media here about it all this year given it will be exactly 100 years on 11th Nov since the end of the war. It will probably slowly fade in the collective memory too after that as even the children of the last soldiers to fight die.

I visited the battlefields and the cemeteries in north west France a few years ago when we were over there for a holiday. I have rarely been as saddened and moved by an experience. The ‘Great War’ was a truly terrible waste of life.

Joe

Post by Joe » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:33 pm

We vacationed in the UK last summer, and I noticed the memorials in the towns we visited.

It brought home the scale of the casualties. Few Americans appreciate what a catastrophe the world wars were. I still remember my father, a WWII and Korean War veteran, telling me of going to France after the war and trying to look up a woman he had been friends with before. When he went to the hillside village where she lived, it was gone, as was the hill it had graced.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:31 am

Harsh words were spoken!
Ennio Morricone Calls Quentin Tarantino a ‘Cretin’ Whose Movies Are ‘Trash’
He won an Oscar for composing the score to Tarantino's "The Hateful Eight.
“The man is a cretin,” Morricone said. “He just steals from others and puts it together again. There is nothing original about that. And he is not a director either. So not comparable to real Hollywood greats like John Huston, Alfred Hitchcock or Billy Wilder. They were great. Tarantino is just cooking up old stuff.”

"
https://www.indiewire.com/2018/11/ennio ... sZ6zaExMrY

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:19 am

Ouch! I always thought Quentin was a little overrated. I wouldn't go as far as calling his body of work trash though. I enjoyed Pulp Fiction and Inglourious Basterds well enough...
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:16 pm

What do you say when the music director of one of your favourite films of all time (Good, Bad, and the Ugly), slags off the director of another one of your favourite movies of all time (Reservoir Dogs)? :shockcorn:

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:13 am

After watching three of Tarantino's films (Reservoir Dogs, Natural Born Killers, Kill Bill Vol.1) I have decided to not waste my time on any of his others. This is not to say they are trash. They are simply not my cup of tea. I reserve judgements like 'trash', 'rubbish' etc to films like Dirty Harry and its sequels, and even then not without qualification.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:51 am

THere are prcisely two Tarantino movies I enjoyued: Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill... the rest were meh, at best.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:22 pm

The presence of a nuclear envelope separates transcription from translation in space and time.
:hehe: --so dramatic! But really DNA -> mRNA -> protein is freakin amazing.

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:31 am

Hermit wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:13 am
After watching three of Tarantino's films (Reservoir Dogs, Natural Born Killers, Kill Bill Vol.1) I have decided to not waste my time on any of his others. This is not to say they are trash. They are simply not my cup of tea. I reserve judgements like 'trash', 'rubbish' etc to films like Dirty Harry and its sequels, and even then not without qualification.
But then, you are not a Maestro and do not have this special immunity that entitles you to trashing whatever you want. :lou:

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:40 am

Pulp Fiction and the recent one with Jaime Foxx as a slave were really good. The rest, ho hum.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:00 am

DRSB wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:31 am
Hermit wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:13 am
But then, you are not a Maestro and do not have this special immunity that entitles you to trashing whatever you want. :lou:
Try to stop me. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:08 am

Eastern Europe is actually Old Europe: