US Election 2020

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Re: US Election 2020

Post by Tero » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:10 am

2F396AE7-6D2E-4D51-8D58-EC31780CB5B9.png
Winning! Foreigners will be hone by 2020! Insulted out of US including tourists.
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:26 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:24 am
Svartalf wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:28 pm
mmmh, the risk of getting hacked is far too high, I wouldn't trust online voting. I don't even trust electronic voting machines
Entirely agree. The Russians would have a field day.

We tried voting machine once and never again. The machines or the software could easily be tampered. Also the size of our ballot papers create too many problems. We had 33 parties in the last election. All those standing for each party has to be on the paper as well. The major parties have at least half of the number in the chamber and that is 75. It is quite a table cloth. You are sent a copy before the election so you can orientate your way around it.

The Democrats would call a ballot like that "voter suppression" in the US. :prof:
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:28 pm

Yeah too many choices and teeny-tiny check boxes. Morons can't figure it out.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:33 pm

Republicans are out there kicking ass when it counts, as usual. To anyone still hoping for a blue wave I suggest you adjust your expectations.

laklak

Post by laklak » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:34 pm

No telling what's going to happen, two weeks from today it will be all over save the crying.

It will be amusing, though, no matter what. If it's a Blue Wave Fox News will be hilarious, if it's a Red one CNN will be good for a few belly laughs.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:50 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:33 pm
Republicans are out there kicking ass when it counts, as usual. To anyone still hoping for a blue wave I suggest you adjust your expectations.
Pussyhats. Trump groping pussy was bad. Huge no confidence vote on Trump. Don’t trust polls. They reach Republican grannies.
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:44 pm

Seabass wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:27 pm
Sean Hayden wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:04 pm
Probably. There's a chance someone spooked her but it's unlikely.
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss her complaints.
What complaints? Did Sean set forth a complaint that she made? What are you suggesting we not dismiss?
Look - in the three different states I've voted for the last few decades, you go to the polling place, which is usually in a library, school building, county building or some other local place. There is a sign there that says "Vote here." And, then it says the number of the precinct involved, so that you can tell if it's the correct polling place. There is a room, and possibly a line of people. You get in line. Nobody asks if you are in a party, and electioneering gear (political hats, buttons, shirts, signs, stickers - whatever) are prohibited. People stand there in line and they hardly talk.

You go up to a table and they check the voter roll for that precinct. If your name is on there, you get a ballot. If it's not, you can fill out an affidavit and a provisional ballot. Then you go vote. You put the ballot in the reader and you get a little sticker that says "I voted." The polling places tend to be staffed by retirees -- both major parties are permitted to have poll watchers there, but they aren't allowed to talk to voters.

None of the links you posted had anything to do with that, and it's no wonder you just post a slew of links with no explanation to Gish Gallop your way pretending to have shown some sort of voter suppression. Example - your first link is an article from 2016 suggesting that "Nazis and the KKK" would be monitoring the polling places in "urban areas" and bringing "40s and weed" to the urban areas which they suspected would keep black people home from the polling places. I mean, come the fuck on with this nonsense. Anonymous sources from KKK people talking about suppressing the vote by bringing them beer and pot? This isn't serious. And, "monitoring the polling places?" What Nazis and the KKK monitoring the polling places in South Philadelphia? In Philadelphia, the voter intimidation was by the New Black Panther Party who showed up there to "guard" the polling place, LOL.

The second one, they were ordered off the bus because the driver didn't have a proper license to drive the bus.

The third one, the guy was issued a citation because he violated the prohibition on taking photographs inside the courthouse, and he took an excessive number of photographs of the court clerk there when he was delivering a letter. Nobody's vote was suppressed.

The fourth link - Indiana purges people from the voter roles. So? Dead people, felons, and outdated registrations who are not permitted to vote SHOULD be off the voter roles. States are required by law to update the voter roles - people move in and out of the state - people die - people move to different counties and re-register. For example, if I move from my current residence to another state, the voter roles should eventually be updated to show that I'm no longer registered in the place I no longer live. That's what the article explains, but you just link it and say "nearly 500,000 purged from voter roles" - Yes, of course - because the voter rolls had not been updated in many years. That that causes is the numbers for voter turnout to be reported as unfairly low, because so many invalid registrations are still on the list, and also it harms the integrity of the voter rolls. There was nothing wrong with that, but it gets portrayed for political purposes as if it hurts Democrats. Why would it hurt Democrats more? Republicans die. Republicans move to new houses, Republicans can be inactive voters, can't they?

And again, none of that has anything to do with Sean's student, does it? She was a first time voter, so she couldn't have been purged. What are you claiming is so hard about voting?
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:49 pm

laklak wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:34 pm
No telling what's going to happen, two weeks from today it will be all over save the crying.

It will be amusing, though, no matter what. If it's a Blue Wave Fox News will be hilarious, if it's a Red one CNN will be good for a few belly laughs.
Indeed, if the blue wave of Reds take the House, we'll have to sit through endless declarations of victory, and it will be called by CNN a resounding rejection of Trump-anomics, Trump foreign policy and Trump immigration policy. Suddenly, the Democrats will have a "mandate" to do whatever they want, and the Republicans will be declared obstructionist. The words "lame duck" will be applied to Trump.

If the GOP holds the House, there will be more primal screams at the sky, and the Republicans will gloat.

I only hope for the latter because of Trump, not the Republicans. I don't want Trump to be subject to a bullshit impeachment effort, which you can bet dollars to donuts will happen. He'll be fucked. The only way he'll get out of it is to "work with" Democrats, which means it will be Trump that will usher in nationalized health care, or some other major Democrat plank. Lay a bet on it.
Last edited by Forty Two on Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:51 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:33 pm
Not sure I agree with that. There has been so much anti-Trump stuff published since he was elected, that I really am not sure that enough independents and cross-over Reagan-type-Democrats to cover the spread in the blue districts that are up for grabs.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:51 pm

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:10 pm

So, 42, if the process involved in being able to vote seems "reasonable" to you, you would not care at all if it was clearly shown that the process meant that statistically, a significant number of a particular demographic was not able to vote, and that this meant that a particular party was advantaged at an election? Especially if it was clear that the process was deliberately set or maintained for that very purpose?
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:24 pm

I would care if statistics showed that significant numbers of a particular demographic were not able to vote.

That being said, if it exists, I would like to see the proof that statistically, a significant number of a demographic was not able to vote.

The fact that a particular demographic, say 18 to 21 year old males, do not vote as frequently as older males, is not necessarily an indication that they are not able to vote.

laklak

Post by laklak » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:01 pm

Certainly, Jim, if a significant demographic was denied the vote it would be voter suppression. But we're going to need to define some terms, like "demographic" and "significant". Plus we'll have to look at the reasons the vote is denied. For example, if there is a free, universally available photo ID, and that ID is required to vote, and a significant portion of a particular demographic doesn't have them, it's not necessarily suppression. It depends on the reason they don't have the ID. If they simply didn't go down to the town hall or bother to get one then it isn't suppression, it's laziness. If they didn't bother to register is isn't suppression, it's laziness.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:17 pm

laklak wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:01 pm
Certainly, Jim, if a significant demographic was denied the vote it would be voter suppression. But we're going to need to define some terms, like "demographic" and "significant". Plus we'll have to look at the reasons the vote is denied. For example, if there is a free, universally available photo ID, and that ID is required to vote, and a significant portion of a particular demographic doesn't have them, it's not necessarily suppression. It depends on the reason they don't have the ID. If they simply didn't go down to the town hall or bother to get one then it isn't suppression, it's laziness. If they didn't bother to register is isn't suppression, it's laziness.
I think you are underestimating how difficult it may be for poor or homeless people to jump through bureaucratic hoops that you or I would find easy.
Forty Two wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:24 pm
The fact that a particular demographic, say 18 to 21 year old males, do not vote as frequently as older males, is not necessarily an indication that they are not able to vote.
In that instance, I would probably agree with you - it is purely personal choice. But there are other circumstances where a particular segment of society may be under-represented in voting, simply because the whole process of having the right ID is, on average, harder for them. That doesn't mean it will have that effect on the whole demographic, but it may be enough to give a particular party an edge in some circumstances. Bad enough if the barriers are, in a sense, accidental and not deliberately contrived; even worse if they are...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

laklak

Post by laklak » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:23 pm

That's when we come to the definition of "significant". I'm sure there are people who have no car and never did, aren't on government benefits, have no bank account, have no job, never had a social security number, but how many are we actually talking about?