Kavanaugh hearing

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: Kavanaugh hearing

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:13 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:21 pm
Yeah, imagine if Trump had lied about being a Native American!
Rather than just about his height, his weight, his taxes, his etc ∞ ;0
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:15 pm

:lol: I'm with you 100. I bet Warren is a great person, and this is minor. I'm just not going to spin it.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:41 pm

It's not a zero-sum game though.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:58 am

I don't understand Brian. It seems like you're going out of your way to avoid saying it was wrong for her to lie about being a Native American.

As far as I'm concerned if the worst thing she's ever done is lie about being a Native American then she's a fucking saint compared to me. :biggrin:

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:14 am

Sean Hayden wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:58 am
I don't understand Brian. It seems like you're going out of your way to avoid saying it was wrong for her to lie about being a Native American.

As far as I'm concerned if the worst thing she's ever done is lie about being a Native American then she's a fucking saint compared to me. :biggrin:
I don't mind accepting she claimed to be a Native American, with all that that implies as far as an official tribal/ethnic status is concerned...
Brian Peacock wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:06 pm
I'm not making excuses for Warren, but I do feel a little perspective is in order here...
Brian Peacock wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:39 pm
Sean Hayden wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:17 pm
Ok, there's the problem. She has claimed to be Native American.
Fair enough.
... but I'm not quite sure how 'wrong' this actually was. As noted, and as I've said already, this failure on her part--and the idea that this is a more significant or problematic failure than, for example, erroneously claiming to have Swedish or Italian heritage--speaks to me about race. Given what 42 said on the other thread, that an individual with Native American heritage is considered 'a person of colour' in the US, that Warren claimed to be a person of colour, Warren's foolishness is being treated like she's crossed an otherwise impermeable racial membrane.

I'm still a bit unsure aobut whether she actually made a claim to the official tribal/ethnic status or if she did the equivalent of US tourists in Edinburgh, saying: "We find Edinboro so fascinating because our people are Scottish - from my grandfather's side." But then again, these comparisons with Irish, Italian, Swedish and now Scottish heritage fall through, because what she has done is, apparently, the equivalent of claiming she was ethnically Black or Japanese. I'm not sure I'm expressing myself well here, but her transgressions is being touted as more important than I think it should be because the notion of 'race' is not only accepted as a real and valid thing, but also because it is the foundation of the kind of identity politics that is, well, the only political game in town at the moment.

Frank Zappa

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:38 am

I recommend reading why some Native Americans are upset. They aren't hysterical in any way, but it's easy to see why they find it upsetting.

Keep in mind that Harvard used Warren's status as a Native American to tout their diversity. Do you think a Native American involved in her community and seeking similar employment might be upset by someone claiming to be Native American because of family lore, and worse, lore that's not even remotely true? I mean that's crazy right? Also, what's wrong with just being weirded out by someone willing to do that? What, she just decides one day she's Native American?

As for the constant comparison of this to calling yourself Irish, well, that's just weird. Do Europeans have some unique history in America and with the US government that warrants special consideration, and that I'm overlooking?

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:52 am

Sean Hayden wrote:
I wish he had, a native has zilch chance of ever being elected, especially as a GOP canidate
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:44 am

:lol:

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:17 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:13 pm
Sean Hayden wrote:
Rather than just about his height, his weight, his taxes, his etc ∞ ;0
Of course, he hasn't been shown to have lied about his height, weight or taxes. "Girthers" have speculated about his height and weight, but there has been no determination about it. And, nothing about his taxes has been shown to be a lie.

The height thing, the most I've seen is they have him in photographs next to other people who are supposed to be of certain heights. But, who seems taller in a photograph is often deceiving. I've seen where they show him next to Justin Trudeau and they look comparable height, but I've also seen Justin Trudeau next to Barak Obama and Justin seemed shorter than Obama. Obama is supposed to be 6'1", and Trudeau 6'2". A lot depends on perspective, and if a person is just slightly behind the other, the perspective changes.

Weight fluctuates. And, height even fluctuates about a 1/2 inch from morning to afternoon for a person over 6 feet tall. And, not to mention, once you hit 40, you start to shrink about 1/3 of an inch every decade, so he could be almost an inch shorter now than he was in his 30s. However, doctors don't tend to bother measuring patient's height. My kids get measured when they go, because they're growing, but me, in middle age, I don't get measured for height when I go to get checkups. The height is in the chart, and they weigh me, unfortunately.

We're also talking about a few pounds either way and a couple inches. It doesn't matter. Many people's height will show one thing on a driver license and another in a doctor's chart or whatever. These things are not exacting.

And, Warren's American Indian status is hardly much more important (although being billed as a native American professor or a "professor of color" is rather a bit more relevant than whether one is an inch taller or shorter) -- but, Warren made it important because she herself invested in it. She seemed to think it important. She claimed to be a native American. She's not. She could have just said "oh, well, whatever, it's family lore - maybe it's not true, so what?" and nobody could do much with it - but she double, triple and quadrupled down, and then she laughably bought into the Trump game of "go get a DNA test" and she did! It's pathetic and sad. Trump would just say "fuck you, prove me wrong."
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:22 pm

Yes, that's all fine, but what about his mushroom dick? :ask:

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:29 pm

stormy 3.jpg
I don't know where I got this, was it maybe even here? But the answer is there.
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Joe

Post by Joe » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:17 pm

Yeah, the etc for Mushroom Don puts the Warren flap in perfect perspective.

Warren checking a box is a relative nothing burger she should have ignored.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:02 am

Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:59 pm

Why would someone lie?

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavl ... n-n2534477
Kavanaugh Accuser Admits: I Made Up Claims of Sexual Assault to "Get Attention"
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:29 pm

Working the weekends now eh?