The Make Fun of Elizabeth Warren Thread

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Re: The Make Fun of Elizabeth Warren Thread

Post by Forty Two » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:32 pm

Elizabeth went to see the Braves play the Dodgers the other day:

“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:48 pm

Stop trying so hard to be clever and step back from an issue Cunt. I doubt she's racist.

She exercised poor judgment and has not made things better by continuing to act like she's done nothing wrong. It's embarrassing for her and for Harvard. The other university did not choose to use her claim to be a Native American in order to show its diversity.

That's about all there is to this issue. It doesn't deserve much more attention than that. In terms of what our politicians get up to it doesn't even rate that, a mention.

But she needed to just own it. Instead, we get this.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:03 pm

“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:19 pm

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:51 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:48 pm
Stop trying so hard to be clever and step back from an issue Cunt. I doubt she's racist.
By your standard, you are probably right. I humbly submit that she doesn't need to please your race though.

Why not ask someone indigenous how they feel about her cultural appropriation for political gain.

Unless of course you think her words on it are 'indigenous enough' for you.
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:00 pm

:lol: fair point

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:03 pm

Tim's point is pretty important. Warren didn't do this for herself, she did it for Trump.

She might even realize it now.
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:06 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:44 pm
I'm with 42 on this one. It's a reach to call it racist to call her out on this.

If race didn't matter, no racists anywhere, it would be okay to claim you're a Native American and fabricate the reasons why?
I've not called anybody a racist - but I am talking about 'race' and to and about those people who think it's an actual something-or-other, even it can only be described in terms of 'I know one when I see one'. I'm not making excuses for Warren, but I do feel a little perspective is in order here.

I happen to think that our identity as family members (children, siblings, parents, spouses, uncles and aunts, nieces and nephews, grandchildren, grandparents) is tied up with the experience and views of previous generations and the stories they tell us about themselves and about the past. By these things we seat ourselves of an in a family within a wider social and historical setting. "This is who we are son." ;) Now, would we lambaste someone to the same degree for saying they were Irish-American or Italian-American when the plain antecedent facts of the matter might disagree?

I was struck by 42 when he said that Warren apparently claimed to be a 'person of colour' - with 'colour', of course, being one of those loaded terms that's still considered a significant, the significant characteristic of that nebulous fraternity of races. 'Colour' in this context isn't to do with shading or skin-tone though is it, for wouldn't we still consider the self-reporting Italian-American 'White' even if they were more swarthy in skin-tone than, say, Bill John Baker, the current principle chief of the Cherokee nation?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_John_Baker

So Bill John Baker is 'a person of colour' these days and such a distinction is quite telling - and it sets me a-thinking.

As far as I'm aware Warren isn't saying she is a Native American, not least because as you'll know 'Native American' has a specific meaning and status in the US, with tribal citizenship only being conferred after specific requirements have been met (rather than merely being granted after asserting or demonstrating a connection by lineage, as it were). What Warren has done is stake a claim to a Native American heritage, in the same way someone might stake a claim to an Irish or Italian heritage - so what's the consternation all about? Well, that's where we come back to 'colour' I think, and who gets to play the race-card and who doesn't, and, as I said before, a conflict between popular brands of 'identity politics' that being fought out in the political mainstream rather than at the fringes.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:17 pm

Ok, there's the problem. She has claimed to be Native American.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:19 pm

That's what it means to tick the box and tell your school, your employer, the feds and everyone else that you're Native American.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:20 pm

Funny, a hundred years ago admitting native American ancestry would be political death. Pesky redskins. Drunks and savages, the lot. And claiming slave-holding forebears and KKK membership would get you elected to the Florida state senate. Lo, the worm has turned, eh?

I don't think there's any Amerind in my background, though as a descendant of slave owners there's probably a touch of the tar brush.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:26 pm

My grandma 100% Italian. My grandpa's side is a bit of an unknown, and my dad's pretty much completely unknown.

My aunt did a test, she's a Jew now. :lol: joking, she'd never claim to be Jewish because of a DNA test

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:24 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:17 pm
Joe wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:39 pm
Animavore wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:55 am
She fucked up on this one. She fed the troll. Don't feed the troll. Put him on ignore. Talk about policy and watch the no-nothing fool Trump get lost in the conversation.

"Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience every time."
;this: Warren has a lot to say policy-wise, and this BS keeps the focus on an emotional "issue" that is just another of the silly dramas Trump likes to gin up. I wonder what the Cherokee nation thinks about universal single-payor insurance. :ask:
Yes, let's discuss her plan to nationalize every major business with $1 billion or more revenue.
Under Senator Warren’s proposal, no business with more than $1 billion in revenue would be permitted to legally operate without permission from the federal government. The federal government would then dictate to these businesses the composition of their boards, the details of internal corporate governance, compensation practices, personnel policies, and much more. Naturally, their political activities would be restricted, too. Senator Warren’s proposal entails the wholesale expropriation of private enterprise in the United States, and nothing less. It is unconstitutional, unethical, immoral, irresponsible, and — not to put too fine a point on it — utterly bonkers.
https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/08/ ... hard-left/

The bill requires corporations with more than $1 billion in annual revenue to obtain a federal charter.Require that employees elect at least 40% of board members. Restricts political expenditures. Restricts the sale of shares of stock. Allows the federal government to put them out of business.

Her recipe for crony capitalism is complete and obvious crap. https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/15/economi ... ided-.html
That's not crony capitalism.
An economy that is nominally free-market, but allows for preferential regulation and other favorable government intervention based on personal relationships. In such a system, the false appearance of "pure" capitalism is publicly maintained to preserve the exclusive influence of well-connected individuals.
Read more: http://www.businessdictionary.com/defin ... alism.html
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:29 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:37 pm
Strontium Dog wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:24 pm
We really need a thread devoted to tearing a politician apart because she maybe exaggerated her legitimate Native American ancestry.

Whereas Trump lies every time he opens his mouth, and there's total radio silence from the same quarters (unless it's to defend him).

Hmmm.
LOL!

Threads can be created by anyone, anytime - they aren't up to a vote, and only those threads that "we" as a group agree on are permitted. You don't like the thread - why? There are far less relevant threads about other politicians and small non-issues.

Radio silence on Trump? Are you mad? There are several threads on Trump bashing him, all the time. Try to create a thread on a political or economic issue that doesn't bash him, and it's merged with the "bash trump" threads. I can't believe you are trying to sit there with a straight face and saying there isn't enough space here dedicated to bashing Donald Trump. LOL. That takes some denial.
That's not what he's saying. He's saying we never hear YOU criticising Trump.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:36 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:11 pm
He has destroyed ISIS.
Why do you keep repeating this bullshit? Syria and Russia have destroyed ISIS. The US has had only a minor role compared to them.