Republicans

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Re: Republicans

Post by JimC » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:14 pm

laklak wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:54 pm
Sean Hayden wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:42 pm
Shit, ain't no more perverted than uncle Lonie and you invite that motherfucker to the BBQ every year, even after he got drunk and went on and on bout buying himself a teenage asian!
Iffin I tol' Lonie onct I done told him a hunnert times, you caint buy them girls no more. Not sinct the war, nohows. All you kin do is rent 'em, and they's dear.
:funny:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:10 pm

"The uploader has not made this video available in your country." :lay:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:44 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:12 pm
But why do they want to hurt liberals? Eh?
Little girl before Trump election: Hillary wants to kill babies.

All is explained by Jesus guns and babies.
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:50 am

Actually, I think guns and babies are basically explained by Jesus.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:09 am

Seabass wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:02 pm
This is just part of disenfranchisement that takes place in this "democratic" country. Along with other voter deterrents and gerrymandering no wonder so few vote. On top of this most states have not got a clue who lives there.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:10 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:50 am
Actually, I think guns and babies are basically explained by Jesus.
The bible tells us that baby Jesus warned the Romans that they'd prise his guns from his cold, dead hands...

And they did... :tea:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:12 pm

The real horror to Republicans is that Democrats will use ”my tax money to kill babies.” Just the fact that Obama would allow military women to fly to a location to get abortions was enough to anger them. Even if they paid for the abortion. Obamacare, same issues.

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:23 pm

Ah yes... the baby abortion squads. Rounding up pregnant women in the middle of the night with rusty coat hangers in their black bag.

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:26 pm

Red Squad by the crack of dawn... :tea:

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:14 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:09 am
Seabass wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:02 pm
This is just part of disenfranchisement that takes place in this "democratic" country. Along with other voter deterrents and gerrymandering no wonder so few vote. On top of this most states have not got a clue who lives there.
He's such a dumb-ass.

Sure, a good argument can be made for allowing certain convicted criminals or even all of them to vote. Various countries have different rules, and various countries have changed those rules over time. It's not "tacking something on at the end" as he pretends that it's some kind of surprise that felony convictions sometimes result in a loss of right to vote. It's not a surprise. In states where it happens, it's codified into law, so it is, in fact, part of the convicted criminal's sentence and part of their "debt to society" that they pay.

Also, he phrases this as someone paying forever for a "mistake." This isn't getting busted for misdemeanor weed possession. This is felony conviction, most of which are quite serious offenses, not many of which happen by "mistake."

Moreover, felons who have completed their sentences are allowed to vote in most U.S. states. In our system, the States determine which crimes result in the loss of voter eligibility, and that's set forth in the Fourteenth Amendment of the federal constitution. It's very clear.

In Florida, which he scoffs at, felons can apply to reinstate their right to vote 7 years after completing their sentence. Maine and Vermont allow felons - even those currently in prison - to vote. In fourteen states, the right to vote comes back automatically after the sentence is over. And in 19 states it ends after probation is over. So, that's 35 states. In 35 states, out of 50, the right to vote exists while in prison, or after release/parole.

Of the remaining 15 states, 7 restore rights to some felons based on the circumstances of or type of crime involved. And in four states, there is an individual petition required allowing for reinstatement. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felony_disenfranchisement

So, what's so horrible here? Answer, nothing.

Anyway, we all know why Republicans tend to oppose felons voting, and we all know why Democrats tend to support it. It's because they both think most felons vote Democrat. It's politics.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:50 pm

Once your sentence has been served, and if all probationary conditions are being met, then you should be free to take part in the democratic process as outlined by the constitution on the same footing as everyone else.

If that's the proposition what's the best argument against it?

Frank Zappa

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:34 pm

It was so much simpler in Old England. Thieves werehanged. Unless you could pay off the hangman.
As in Gallows Pole
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RSZca1Q9IWA

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:03 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:50 pm
Once your sentence has been served, and if all probationary conditions are being met, then you should be free to take part in the democratic process as outlined by the constitution on the same footing as everyone else.

If that's the proposition what's the best argument against it?
A serious offense of a violence, theft or significant fraud nature would be considered an offense against society itself and renders the convicted felon untrustworthy to participate in civil government, and loss of the right to vote would part of the sentence.

I think that only makes sense where felonies are a limited set of "non mistake" crimes.

I should clarify my posts on this topic that a felony is not supposed to be a "mistake" as the video portrays it, but in the last generation or so, the felonization of criminal law has so expanded the number of crimes considered felonies that it is said that the average person commits about three felonies per day without even knowing it.

So, I wouldn't want the right to vote to be lost for someone pranking their friend's facebook page by posting on there that they love Nickelback, or failing to adhere to the terms and conditions of a website (Computer Fraud and Abuse Act felony), but I really have no problem with murderers, rapists, and Ivan Boesky or Bernie Madoff losing their right to vote. So, to me, it depends.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:09 pm

Retribution. The only thing the American so called "justice" system is about eh? Is that why you lock up 10% of your population? So they cant take part in a corrupt undemocratic system?
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:14 pm

Tero wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:34 pm
It was so much simpler in Old England. Thieves werehanged. Unless you could pay off the hangman.
As in Gallows Pole
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RSZca1Q9IWA
...well, plus, nobody voted back then...