Republicans

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Re: Republicans

Post by Forty Two » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:19 pm

Joe wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:33 am
Forty Two wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:56 am
Fair point, but the electorate voted for Trump. They did not vote for "not Trump." They did not vote for "long held conservative values" - Trump is not deviating from what he promised in the campaign. He's fulfilling his promises.

Once again, for the OpEd writer - the anonymous Republican Trump-Thwarting-Protector-of-Democracy - what has Trump done which threatens our Democracy or Democratic institutions? What has this OpEd person "thwarted" or helped thwart which is something other than a policy difference of opinion?

I submit to you that the OpEd writer identified exactly zero examples of those things precisely because there aren't any to give. He's not thwarted Trump from eliminating or destroying some democratic institution and he didn't thwart any impulse or inclination of Trump which posed a danger to democracy.
Or he was smart enough to know giving examples increased the risk of being identified, and there was no need for examples anyway, since a 488 page book full of examples and written by a reputable journalist was coming out today.

Now, those two things couldn't be related, could they? :thinks:
Woodward's book provides examples of things Trump was inclined or impulsed to do which posed a danger to democracy or democratic institutions, and this op-ed writer (or part of his alleged cohort) thwarted?

Pray tell, what is a prime example or two?
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:28 pm

Tero wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:58 am
3 million of the electorate voted for Hillary over Trump. But what you claim did happen, only the ELECTORAL COLLEGE, an 18th century relic, voted for Trump.
So what?

The system is basically set up that each State has x number of votes based on population, and there is no national election, just 50 state level elections. Win a state, get all that state's votes. The States elect the President, not the individual citizens. That's the system.

If the system were otherwise, the campaigns would run differently, they would campaign differently. The results would be different because the participants would play under different rules.

When you know it's 50 state-level elections, you prioritize which states you need to win. When it's one big election, then you prioritize where you get the most votes.

Example - with an electoral college, if you already have States A, B, and C in the bag, you don't dedicate more resources there to increase the spread of popular vote from say 55% to 70% in those states. You gain nothing by doing so. You would prefer to divert resources to States D, E and F where you may be losing by 3 or 5 points and try to make that ground up and flip the state. If it's a pure national vote, if you have more to gain vote-wise by adding resources to A, B, and C and trying to overwhelm those states, then you'll do that, and not worry about making up a smaller spread in closer states.

It cannot be said that the popular vote would remain the same if we just had a national vote system, becasue the systems are completely different.

The same is true for parliamentary systems where the PM is elected by the Parliament after the MPs are elected. The individual voter might be voting for Labour in district/riding A, but if he had a direct vote for PM instead of just voting for his local MP, he might choose a different person. The election would be different. When Theresa May gets elected by the majority party or coalition in Parliament, it's not the same as saying that she would have won that election if the individuals voted for PM instead of for their local party MP. Her election to PM is a function of party-politics, not electoral politics. Change the system to a direct election of PMs and there is a good chance she would not have become PM.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:13 pm

So you get corruption. All you have to do is turn 3000 black voters away in each major county. Because they were not registerd etc. Win a state by 30 000!
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:49 pm

Tero wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:13 pm
So you get corruption. All you have to do is turn 3000 black voters away in each major county. Because they were not registerd etc. Win a state by 30 000!
...or have the dead vote in Chicago and you have a Democrat as President. "There was a cemetery where the names on the tombstones were registered and voted. I remember a house. It was completely gutted. There was nobody there. But there were 56 votes for [John F.] Kennedy in that house." - Earl Mazo, reporter, New York Herald Tribune. Illinois state special prosecutor Morris Wexler indicted 677 election officials for election fraud. In 1962, an election worker for the Democrats confessed to witness tampering.

You can get corruption in a national election too.

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:41 pm

Only republicans do it for real. And they can. Voter ID law. You vote for president and dog catcher on the same ballot.

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:04 pm

No arguments, or problems issuing, photo ID in EU. It’s your free social security/insurance card.

Joe

Post by Joe » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:41 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:19 pm
Joe wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:33 am
Forty Two wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:56 am
Fair point, but the electorate voted for Trump. They did not vote for "not Trump." They did not vote for "long held conservative values" - Trump is not deviating from what he promised in the campaign. He's fulfilling his promises.

Once again, for the OpEd writer - the anonymous Republican Trump-Thwarting-Protector-of-Democracy - what has Trump done which threatens our Democracy or Democratic institutions? What has this OpEd person "thwarted" or helped thwart which is something other than a policy difference of opinion?

I submit to you that the OpEd writer identified exactly zero examples of those things precisely because there aren't any to give. He's not thwarted Trump from eliminating or destroying some democratic institution and he didn't thwart any impulse or inclination of Trump which posed a danger to democracy.
Or he was smart enough to know giving examples increased the risk of being identified, and there was no need for examples anyway, since a 488 page book full of examples and written by a reputable journalist was coming out today.

Now, those two things couldn't be related, could they? :thinks:
Woodward's book provides examples of things Trump was inclined or impulsed to do which posed a danger to democracy or democratic institutions, and this op-ed writer (or part of his alleged cohort) thwarted?

Pray tell, what is a prime example or two?
So the media says, but you know you can't trust them. Pray tell, why don't you read it yourself and answer your own questions?
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:02 am

You're the one who said the book was "full of examples." I take it you don't know whether it does or not, correct?

You also said "now those things couldn't be related, could they?" - what makes you think they are related? Anything?

Joe

Post by Joe » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:23 am

Forty Two wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:02 am
You're the one who said the book was "full of examples." I take it you don't know whether it does or not, correct?
And I also said "So the media says , but you know you can't trust them." I take it English isn't your first language.
Forty Two wrote:
You also said "now those things couldn't be related, could they?" - what makes you think they are related? Anything?
Here's another English lesson. Sentences that end in "?" are not statements of opinion.

Now, how about answering my question. Why don't you just read the book?
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:49 am

Forty Two wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:28 pm
Tero wrote:
3 million of the electorate voted for Hillary over Trump. But what you claim did happen, only the ELECTORAL COLLEGE, an 18th century relic, voted for Trump.
So what?

The system is basically set up [snip]
in such a way that - contrary to what you wrote in your previous post, to wit "the electorate voted for Trump" - the electorate voted for Clinton. The Electoral College, which the electorate did not vote for, voted for Trump. 46.1% of the popular vote resulted in Trump receiving 57.3% of the College vote, while 48.2% of the popular vote resulted in Clinton receiving 42.7% of the College vote.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:20 am

Forty Two wrote:
Tero wrote:
So what?

The system is basically set up [snip]
in such a way that - contrary to what you wrote in your previous post, to wit "the electorate voted for Trump" - the electorate voted for Clinton. The Electoral College, which the electorate did not vote for, voted for Trump. 46.1% of the popular vote resulted in Trump receiving 57.3% of the College vote, while 48.2% of the popular vote resulted in Clinton receiving 42.7% of the College vote.
Forty Two wrote:
each State has x number of votes based on population
No, it has not. For example, while California has one electoral vote per 712,000 people, Wyoming has one electoral vote per 195,000 people. If the number of Electoral College votes were based on population the respective states should both have one elector for 712,000 people or one elector for 195,000 people. As it stands, each Wyoming voter is worth 3.65 Californian voter to the candidates.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:04 am

Why not just add all the votes up and see who has the most?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:21 am

That would be too easy. We Merkins like a good challenge. Builds character...
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:31 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:04 am
Why not just add all the votes up and see who has the most?
NOOOOOOO! It would mean the candidate electorate voted for would win the election! We can't have that!

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:20 am

Joe wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:23 am
Forty Two wrote:
And I also said "So the media says , but you know you can't trust them." I take it English isn't your first language.
Forty Two wrote:
Here's another English lesson. Sentences that end in "?" are not statements of opinion.

Now, how about answering my question. Why don't you just read the book?
Well, because I think the media did not, in fact, say that woodward’s book contained examples of what the op ed writer said he and his cohorts were doing. But you can always cite your source. Maybe it’s one I haven’t seen.

I will read the book eventually.

As for your question about “they couldn’t be related, could they?” I took your “question” as a figure of speech - meaning that you believed that they were related. If you really were literally asking me that, then sure they “could be.” But neither you nor I have read the book. So can some other publications coming out around now. They “could be” related. We don’t know.