Trump and Russia; Spasiba, Harasho!

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Re: Trump and Russia; Spasiba, Harasho!

Post by Forty Two » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:58 pm

I've traditionally had a low opinion of journalists and reporters. I find them rarely to be particularly discerning. They're sloppy. They're imprecise. And, I have found that on close inspection, any technical, legal, scientific, or generally complex issue will, almost always, be wrong in some demonstrable, factual way.

Nowadays, though, I find the figures - the talking heads - to be bordering on the ludicrous, and certainly the politically biased (both on outfits like Foxnews and also CNN/MSNC, etc.). A recent example I saw was Chris Cuomo reporting on the violence the other day by antifa at the 25 strong alt-right march. He reported that using words to protest, marching, singing, carrying signs, and using slurs, etc., are all fine, but then when you cross the line into using your fists, you're wrong, you're breaking the law, you're a thug. I agreed with him up until that time. Then he points out that antifa were at the alt-right march the other day and antifa attacked, physically, reports and police officers. So, what does he go on to say? He says that not all unjustified violence is the same, and that if you're there to protest bigots "and it gets out of hand" and you commit violence, then it's not as bad as if it was the bigots committing the same kind of acts. Certainly he's entitled to his opinion on that - not all violence is the same - certainly a valid viewpoint. However, where he went off the rails into stupidity was that his argument doesn't justify why antifa was attacking reporters and police (reporters there to report on what's going on, and police there to keep order while respective citizens say their peace). So, apparently, to Chris Cuomo, antifa attacking news reporters and police is antifa acting against bigots and racists and nazis. LOL. Were the reporters and police bigots and racists and nazis? Were they provoking the attacks from antifa, which violence was justified because it got out of hand and their hearts were in the right place? LOL - apparently, according to Chris Cuomo, legally they were wrong, but morally they're right. This is what passes for opinion journalism on CNN in prime time.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:03 pm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... story.html

William H. McRaven, a retired Navy admiral, was commander of the U.S. Joint Special Operations Command from 2011 to 2014. He oversaw the 2011 Navy SEAL raid in Pakistan that killed al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden.

Revoke my security clearance, too, Mr. President

Dear Mr. President:

Former CIA director John Brennan, whose security clearance you revoked on Wednesday, is one of the finest public servants I have ever known. Few Americans have done more to protect this country than John. He is a man of unparalleled integrity, whose honesty and character have never been in question, except by those who don’t know him.

Therefore, I would consider it an honor if you would revoke my security clearance as well, so I can add my name to the list of men and women who have spoken up against your presidency.

Like most Americans, I had hoped that when you became president, you would rise to the occasion and become the leader this great nation needs.

A good leader tries to embody the best qualities of his or her organization. A good leader sets the example for others to follow. A good leader always puts the welfare of others before himself or herself.

Your leadership, however, has shown little of these qualities. Through your actions, you have embarrassed us in the eyes of our children, humiliated us on the world stage and, worst of all, divided us as a nation.

If you think for a moment that your McCarthy-era tactics will suppress the voices of criticism, you are sadly mistaken. The criticism will continue until you become the leader we prayed you would be.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:59 pm

Oh, fiddlesticks. Who gives a fuck?

John Brennan? Confirmed liar and obvious partisan?

Look, the guy is not in government anymore. He works for MSNBC and NBC, which are partisan networks. The only reason to leave former spooks with security clearance is so current government officials can consult with them. The custom of leaving a CIA head with clearance after they leave is to benefit the administration, not as some sort of honory gift or gold watch to the former employee. Why in the world would Brennan need clearance now? And, clearance is on a need to know basis.

Brennan misused his power and lied about it - https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ied-senate (I know the Guardian is an unreliable right-wing source, but it came up first in the googles...)''

Fuck John Brennan and the only reason anyone is pretending to be up in arms that his clearance is gone is because they lose a guy who can poke his nose around the inside of the administration and leak shit to the press.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:03 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:59 pm

Look, the guy is not in government anymore. He works for MSNBC and NBC, which are partisan networks. The only reason to leave former spooks with security clearance is so current government officials can consult with them. The custom of leaving a CIA head with clearance after they leave is to benefit the administration, not as some sort of honory gift or gold watch to the former employee. Why in the world would Brennan need clearance now? And, clearance is on a need to know basis.

Brennan misused his power and lied about it - https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ied-senate (I know the Guardian is an unreliable right-wing source, but it came up first in the googles...)''

Fuck John Brennan and the only reason anyone is pretending to be up in arms that his clearance is gone is because they lose a guy who can poke his nose around the inside of the administration and leak shit to the press.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:36 pm

The Guardian when Trump is President - https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... recedented and https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... ism-latest - oh, it's just so horrible - so controversial - this man must not be deprived of security clearance!

When Obama is president, Brennan should be fired for his blatant lying, and his complicitness in torture. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... mark-udall Private apologies are not enough - a few years ago -for this scumbag who deserved to be fired! https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ied-senate

Fast forward to 2018 and he is an honorable man, serving his country with diligence and faithfulness - the greatest man I have ever known, says an admiral.... lol. It is now a complete travesty for this liar and torturer...er, I mean, honorable and dedicated public servant... to lose his security clearance as he goes into private employment with MSNBC....

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:18 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:36 pm
The Guardian when Trump is President - https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... recedented and https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... ism-latest - oh, it's just so horrible - so controversial - this man must not be deprived of security clearance!

When Obama is president, Brennan should be fired for his blatant lying, and his complicitness in torture. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... mark-udall Private apologies are not enough - a few years ago -for this scumbag who deserved to be fired! https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ied-senate

Fast forward to 2018 and he is an honorable man, serving his country with diligence and faithfulness - the greatest man I have ever known, says an admiral.... lol. It is now a complete travesty for this liar and torturer...er, I mean, honorable and dedicated public servant... to lose his security clearance as he goes into private employment with MSNBC....

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:38 pm

Tero wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:59 am
Pee pee tapes!
Actually, I think Russia owns Trump. His businesses would have collapsed without Russian investment.
Trump Won’t Follow Congressional Directives on Russia and Crimea
President Donald Trump objects to an effort by Congress to prevent his administration from recognizing Crimea as part of Russia.

Crimea is a region in Ukraine that has been occupied by Russia for several years, with the Russian Federation having claimed to have annexed the region in March 2014. Russian President Vladimir Putin has claimed the territorial matter is settled, but many in Washington disagree.

Language in the fiscal 2019 defense authorization, which Trump signed into law Monday during a ceremony at Fort Drum in upstate New York, purported to impose a funding blockade on the Pentagon acting on recognition of Crimea as part of Russia.

The literal text of the new law states: “None of the funds authorized to be appropriated by this Act or otherwise made available for fiscal year 2019 for the Department of Defense may be obligated or expended to implement any activity that recognizes the sovereignty of the Russian Federation over Crimea.”

The defense authorization law does allow for the provision to be waived, provided that the secretaries of Defense and State provide explanations to the relevant House and Senate committees.
https://www.rollcall.com/news/politics/ ... sia-crimea
That is a very telling bit of information. If that ain't a pay off, I don't know what would be...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Joe

Post by Joe » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:40 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:37 pm
To post an interesting point relevant to the topic. People "post without comment" all the time. Not every post has to be some sort of slam dunk and conclusive proof of some point or another. If that was the test, most of the posts people have been posting about Donald Trump should receive the scrutiny you're giving mine. In that context, the thinnest, least supported, speculative theories on Trump's guilt or evil nature never seem to get questioned in this way.
Yes Forty Two, people post without comment all the time. However, they do so in the context of a thread. You, on the other hand, have started threads by posting links without a comment.

Moreover, you have been repeatedly admonished for misrepresenting and strawmanning people's arguments. I don't have a lot of sympathy when you claim it's happened to you.

If you don't add a disclaimer, I think many of us will assume you support what you post because so often you do. After all, you're complaining about a position you supposedly don't hold being criticised here. :bored:
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:46 am

Forty Two wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:58 pm
I've traditionally had a low opinion of journalists and reporters.
We know. You prefer propagandists, conspiracy nuts, and smear merchants.

Alex Jones
Infowars
Mike Cernovich
Mark Dice
Newsbusters
Gateway Pundit
True Pundit
Zerohedge
Breitbart
Political Insider
Daily Caller
The Blaze

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:49 am

:hehe:
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:12 am

Anyone with an informed opinion is categorised as partisan theses days, along with anyone else who is critical. I guess we can degrade and dismiss your own contribution as partisan now, and safely ignore it on that basis - or are we to somehow prove that we agree with you before you'll allow us to disagree.

I am not a member of a pokrixal party and I don't disagree with you or Trump on the basis of a partisan affiliation. You'll now suggest that the very fact of disagreeing with you or Trump marks me out as a partisan apologist for that other lot regardless of my political affiliations. Indeed, you've accused me of being anti-Trump and a Hilary suppierter on that basis alone, as if I adopted my ideas just to forward the cause of that other lot you don't much like.

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:35 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:12 am
I am not a member of a pokrixal party
Neither am I.. thank God! :?
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:36 am

By the way, I'm well partisan. I'm partisan to reality - i.e. the left. I'm also anti mental illness like my bipolar and other's conservatism. Fuck conservatives up the bum with a cactus! Partisan that, bitches!

Joe

Post by Joe » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:17 am

Forty Two wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:59 pm

No Forty Two, the working stiffs who need a clearance to do their jobs give a fuck because the President used the clearance process as a tool to punish a political enemy. Not only that, he did it in response to someone exercising his 1st Amendment rights.

That might make private sector jobs look a little more attractive. The clearance process is intrusive enough without having to worry about losing your job by pissing off some ass clown politician.

That's poor leadership at best, and has probably lowered the bar in DC another notch.

I don't care about Brennan, but Trump messed up again.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:48 am

As far as I've been able to discover, Mike Flynn still has his security clearance. It was suspended at one point, but reinstated.