The Intelligence Community - Champion of Democracy

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Re: The Intelligence Community - Champion of Democracy

Post by Hermit » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:09 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:20 am
Just have PR and be done with it. No thresholds.
We have PR in Australia.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:14 am

He would never cure cancer just claim he cured it.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Joe

Post by Joe » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:03 pm

JimC wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:22 am
Brian Peacock wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:34 am
JimC wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:02 am
I've always wondered how big an influence that US voter's evident distaste for Clinton had on the election result, rather than them wanting Trump per se...
Yeah, but that nasty woman... so nasty... still polled more votes.
Sure, that's the electoral college anomaly. But I've always wondered whether a Democrat cleanskin candidate would have done even better; perhaps quite a few voters disliked Trump, but couldn't bring themselves to vote Clinton, so didn't vote at all...
I actually saw yard signs that said "Stop Hillary," so there's something to it. Of course, the signs were put out by the Stop Hillary PAC, which is now The Committee to Defend the President.

No surprise there. :prof:
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:47 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:53 pm
I would say that if the foreign person in the example above gave money to the campaign, or paid vendors on behalf of the campaign, then it would be a violation of the law on the part of the foreign person. Also, the campaign would be legally responsible if they wilfully and knowingly conspired with them to do that. Or, if the foreign person and the campaign conspired to have the foreign person fund an election ad campaign, then the campaign would be liable. Obviously, the donation of any real or personal property would be verboten, too.

But, if we're discussing this issue, the next step in the hypothetical would really be whether a crime was committed if the foreign persons actually transferred the information to the campaign. Let's say it's information only -- they have a witness that saw Trump masturbating in an elevator, and H.Clinton was witnessed walking into a swingers party. They tell that information to the respective campaigns. Any legal violation?

I say no.
How do you feel about multi-national corporations making campaign donations? Do they qualify as a 'foreigner?'

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:10 pm

How do you feel about it? Are they?
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:32 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:39 am
So what did he do that was positive and can be proven by facts not just claims?
Gotta give the Trump-meister his due - https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 ... their-due/

Lowered taxes
Reduced unnecessary and detrimental regulations 16 regs gone for every 1 created (billions of dollars in savings)
Eliminate the ISIS Caliphate
Open the door to denuclearization of the Korean peninsula
Iran deal, gone
Paris Accord, gone
Renegotiating NAFTA
Revised middle east travel ban
Got European countries to agree to $12 billion in more military funding
Facilitated Keystone pipeline
Opened up vast oil exploration areas
Overhaul of Veterans Administration - adding veteran healthcare choice
...just to name a few
But when it comes to actual policy accomplishments tied to pledges he made on the campaign trail, Trump is actually doing pretty well – whether you like the results or not.
https://www.usnews.com/opinion/articles ... f-all-time
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:35 pm

Lowered taxes without cutting spending. How is that good?
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:35 pm

WASHINGTON—Q, the pseudonymous individual who for the last several months has released classified information about high-ranking government officials and the deep state, reportedly tendered his resignation from the U.S. Department of Agriculture Tuesday after failing to properly file an expense report. “I want to apologize to the American taxpayers for abusing my power as a public servant in the USDA, as well as everyone depending on me to supply high-level classified information from the Trump administration as the leader of QAnon,” said Ray Benjamin, 59, who stepped down from his post as a commodity grader in the Agricultural Marketing Service division of the USDA after 26 years with the agency and nearly a year posting on 4chan and 8chan as Q. “I deeply regret failing to document my $15.35 meal, as well as several other business expenses, including a reimbursement for parking, but ultimately I must own up to my mistakes. Unfortunately, with my security clearance revoked and my access to top-secret government intelligence cut off, it means that I will no longer be capable of posting updates about The Storm, offering informed predictions of Hillary Clinton’s imminent arrest, or unmasking the establishment liberals involved in a massive international human-trafficking ring. I am profoundly sorry to both the Department of Agriculture and to my QAnon supporters. I let you all down.” Reached for additional comment, Benjamin admitted that he was privately relieved that he was no longer under the obligation to run QAnon and could spend more time relaxing with his wife, gardening, and watching University of Virginia football.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:38 pm

Svartalf wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:34 am
JimC wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:02 am
I've always wondered how big an influence that US voter's evident distaste for Clinton had on the election result, rather than them wanting Trump per se...
Still, it takes an uncommon dose of stupidity or sheer malice to choose that clown over the gold digger
It could be a different point-of-view as to what constitutes positive policy positions. There did appear, for the first time in a long time, to be a really dramatic difference in what we would get. Most elections in my lifetime have been choices between marginal differences in actual actions that the president would take. I doubt many people would say that we'd have gotten anywhere close to the same policies under Clinton as we have had under Trump. I prefer the substance of Trump's policies, and that's partly due to the fact that that they are often different from what the last 3 decades of Republicans have brought us, and very different from what Democrats have brought us.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:41 pm

Tero wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:35 pm
Lowered taxes without cutting spending. How is that good?
It improved the economy, put people back to work, and saved taxpayers money.

The not cutting spending part is not great, but that's not as easy to do, as the standard politicians don't like to cut. But, in 2018 he vowed "never again," so stay tuned for 2019 budget.

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:05 pm

So do Keynsian economics. But both are just a punt, not a solution.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:36 pm

Tero wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:05 pm
So do Keynsian economics. But both are just a punt, not a solution.
It's important to distinguish between Keynes and today’s Keynesians (who are wrong about almost everything). Keynes, for instance, understood the concept behind the Laffer curve, and he wrote that taxation may be so high as to defeat its object and a reduction of taxation will run a better chance than an increase of balancing the budget. Keynes also understood the importance of limiting the size of government, advocating a max of 25% income tax and he implied an upper limit to the size of government and he did not believe in permanent deficits).

If modern Keynesians advocated some of that, we'd all be better off.

:-)

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:58 pm

Speculating about the spot we are on on the Laffer curve is just that - speculation. Doesn't matter whether it's Keynes or 42. Let's see some data.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:28 am

Here's some data. This is based on the data in these two articles - https://www.thebalance.com/current-u-s- ... ue-3305762 & https://www.thebalance.com/us-gdp-by-year-3305543. This is the ratio of tax revenue to GDP. If we were on the right side of the Laffer curve we'd expect tax revenue as a proportion to GDP to go up as taxes came down. Since the 80's taxes have come down significantly, yet relative revenues have remained pretty similar. This suggests we are at the top of the Laffer curve in the flat area of the curve. So cutting taxes much more risks putting us on the left side of the curve eventually, where we'll see falling relative tax revenue with falling tax rates.

Untitled.png
Untitled.png (9.32 KiB) Viewed 2012 times
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:30 am

Tero wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:35 pm
WASHINGTON—Q, the pseudonymous individual who for the last several months has released classified information about high-ranking government officials and the deep state, reportedly tendered his resignation from the U.S. Department of Agriculture Tuesday after failing to properly file an expense report. “I want to apologize to the American taxpayers for abusing my power as a public servant in the USDA, as well as everyone depending on me to supply high-level classified information from the Trump administration as the leader of QAnon,” said Ray Benjamin, 59, who stepped down from his post as a commodity grader in the Agricultural Marketing Service division of the USDA after 26 years with the agency and nearly a year posting on 4chan and 8chan as Q. “I deeply regret failing to document my $15.35 meal, as well as several other business expenses, including a reimbursement for parking, but ultimately I must own up to my mistakes. Unfortunately, with my security clearance revoked and my access to top-secret government intelligence cut off, it means that I will no longer be capable of posting updates about The Storm, offering informed predictions of Hillary Clinton’s imminent arrest, or unmasking the establishment liberals involved in a massive international human-trafficking ring. I am profoundly sorry to both the Department of Agriculture and to my QAnon supporters. I let you all down.” Reached for additional comment, Benjamin admitted that he was privately relieved that he was no longer under the obligation to run QAnon and could spend more time relaxing with his wife, gardening, and watching University of Virginia football.
Nothing to see here folks. It's just another article by The Onion.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould