Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:34 pm
pErvinalia wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:48 pm
Forty Two wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:26 pm
Seabass wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:59 am
New Poll: 43% of Republicans Want to Give Trump the Power to Shut Down Media
The “enemy of the people” talk is working. A plurality of self-identified Republicans say they want Trump to have the power to take “bad” media outlets out.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/new-poll- ... down-media
Very concerning. It shows why a rock-solid constitutional provision concerning freedom of speech and the press is so important. Leaving such things up to the viscissitudes of the voting public is a bad idea, as is allowing any inroad to have government set orthodoxy or determine truth.
These are the people you side with in supporting Trump. You'd think this would make you second guess your support..
There are people of that level of idiocy on the side of the Democrats, too.
It's more about the sheer numbers of idiots who are republicans. I doubt you'll find nearly half of Democrats wanting to destroy one of the cornerstones of democracy.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Re: Problematic Stuff

Post by Hermit » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:19 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:17 pm
Forty Two wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:57 pm
JimC wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:21 pm
42, "taking out" "bad media outlets" is a dangerous, sweeping assault on the media and free speech in general. It cannot be compared with proposed narrowly targeted restrictions on true hate speech against people of different colour. Having said that, some on the left tend to broaden suggested targeted restrictions to absurd degrees, which I would oppose - few here support general restrictions based on political correctness alone...
I disagree that it cannot be compared to what you describe as narrowly targeted restrictions, because those restrictions tend not to stay narrow
Please show where hate speech laws haven't stayed narrow.
The "thin edge of the wedge" argument is a valid one. I have supplied an example of it in action less than a year ago. (42, take note that it was perpetrated by the political right.) And yes, the wedge happens on the left too. The prohibition of hate speech has already spread in quite a number of democracies by legislating against insults and offending speeches in relation to religions. I know hate speech =/= offending religions, but I regard the prohibition of one spreading to the other like a bushfire jumps a firebreak. Insults and offending speeches in relation to religions have become just another member of the genus hate speech.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:32 am

I think you'd find that the religious aspect was involved right from the beginning, as respect for religious bullshit is unfortunately ingrained in our societies.

Are there any cases where "hate speech" laws spread to other types of more benign speech?
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:02 am

Real problems.

One year after a white nationalist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, left a counterprotester dead, the event's organizer is producing an encore.

On Sunday, demonstrators are set to hold a "white civil rights rally" on the anniversary of last year's "Unite the Right" protest.
This time, supporters plan to gather in a much more high-profile setting: Lafayette Square park, directly across the street from the White House.

Get ready for another white nationalist rally -- and counterprotests, too
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:07 am

Drop a bomb on them while they are all together in the one place.. :tea:

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:12 am

That's what should happen. But we all know tgat facist police are going to beat the anti-facist protestors and the facist President is going to blame them. And then our local facists will be on here defending facism.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:54 am

The comment section if IGN's review of BlacKKKlansman has been shut down due to an abundance of racist comments from angry, defensive Trump fans who believes the movie takes aim at them.

This is a movie about African American cop, Ron Stallworth, who infiltrated the Klan in the 70s over the phone posing as a white man, even managing to get a conversation with Trump supporter and ally, David Duke.

The comment section was alight with butt-hurt white folk crying about reverse racism and white people under attack.

Remember when Nazis and the Klan were made fun of in movies and people cheered, whether it was Blazing Saddles or The Blues Brothers, these racist dickheads were rightfully ripe for laughing at. Now people are coming to their defence or presuming an attack on the KKK is an attack on white people. And all of this fury and racial tension is fuelled from the very top. From the White House. THIS is the real problematic stuff going on in the US.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:14 am

No no, the SJW are the real threat to American society. Get this... they want to stop people being racially abused! Fuck me, it's a take over the whole society!

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:07 am

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:14 am

Actual problem. Not just the quivering fears of old, white racists afraid of a changing times and demographics.
California police worked with neo-Nazis to pursue 'anti-racist' activists, documents show

Officers expressed sympathy with white supremacists and sought their help to target counter-protesters after a violent 2016 rally, according to court documents
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... er-protest

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:38 am

New California.

Resisting the resistance: anti-liberal rage brews in California's right wing
Should California be split into two states, one conservative and one progressive? Under Trump, a far-fetched idea has found a home in fringe, frustrated communities
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:57 pm

Jeff Greene, candidate for Florida governor in the Democratic primary, asked to drop out of race because he "smacked" a cocktail waitress on the arm back in 2012 to get her attention and ask her to turn down the music.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/08 ... tions.html

They're turning on each other like hyenas fighting over a buffalo carcass.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:26 pm

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:30 pm

pErvinalia wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:46 pm

It's more about the sheer numbers of idiots who are republicans. I doubt you'll find nearly half of Democrats wanting to destroy one of the cornerstones of democracy.
Cornerstone's like the First Amendment and Second Amendment?
https://reason.com/blog/2015/12/17/yale ... ition-to-r

More than half of California Democrats -- https://www.mercurynews.com/2017/09/12/ ... ionalists/ and https://today.yougov.com/topics/politic ... ate-speech

Democrats voted to fine FoxNews for putting on the debate of the lesser candidates during the Presidential run. During the case, the Obama Administration lawyers argued that they could suppress books and other publications critical of politicians during campaign season. And, that's what they want to do by "bringing back Citizens United" - which was about whether someone could publish a movie or book critical of candidates within a certain time period before an election.

“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:33 pm

Animavore wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:26 pm
The concept of freedom of speech does not have much to do with who any individual decides to listen to, or whose views deserve serious consideration. It's about everyone have the right to speak, write and publish. That's not saying you have to listen, or that the ideas are worthwhile. Even ideas that one person or another thinks are not worthwhile are within freedom of speech.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar