Qanon

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Re: Qanon

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:21 am

To turn one page? :lol:

It will a thick as the book on famous Belgians.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:51 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:19 am
That must have been a page turner..
It was for me, but then I like reading about history. For instance, I read about one of the first lease holders loosing a third of his sheep to a drought, then drowning while trying to save his cattle from a flood in the same year. A description about what it took to transport a clip of wool from the Kanyaka shearing shed to the Port Augusta rail head was quite interesting too. Apparently it took four drays, 26 bullocks (plus enough feed and water for them) four drivers, two helping hands, two weeks and a broken foot if things did not go too badly.

What's left of the shearing shed.

What's left of some of the people who lived and died there.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:06 am

I have past through Quorn on my way to the Flinders Ranges...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:36 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:21 am
From singer Jacques Brel to painter Paul Delvaux through bicyclist Eddy Merckx, there are actually quite a lot of famous Belgians...
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:41 pm

Svartalf wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:36 am
Scot Dutchy wrote:
From singer Jacques Brel to painter Paul Delvaux through bicyclist Eddy Merckx, there are actually quite a lot of famous Belgians...
I know Svarty. It is just an old Dutch joke. Like Belgians make jokes about Dutch being stingy (which they are not).

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:36 pm

Svartalf wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:36 am
Scot Dutchy wrote:
René Magritte
Peter Paul Rubens
Georges Lemaître
Henri La Fontaine
Georges Simenon
Hergé
César Franck
Eugène Goossens
Jacky Ickx
Olivier Gendebien
Jean-Claude Van Damme
Claude Lévi-Strauss
Jan Van Eyck
Victor Horta
Adolphe Sax
Gerardus Mercator
Audrey Hepburn

And that's after a few minutes of thinking. Google will probably bring up a few hundred more.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:40 pm

Do Rubens, Van Eyck and Mercator actually count as Belgians? Belgium did not exist back when they were alive.

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:56 pm

Svartalf wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:40 pm
Do Rubens, Van Eyck and Mercator actually count as Belgians? Belgium did not exist back when they were alive.
If you insist on there being a formal nation to go with a geographical location most famous Germans and Italians would not actually count as Germans and Italians either. If you think about it long enough you'd probably be able to think of quite a raft of others too. Why are we even talking about ancient Greek philosophers, for instance?

Expanding on that, is France even French? Think Clovis I. Also, where was Charlemagne's palace and burial place?

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:15 pm

Svartalf wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:40 pm
They would have been Dutch (the Low Countries until 1813).

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:18 pm

That's what I was thinking.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:16 pm

Belgium never existed before then.
There is a story that the Foreign Secretary (Salisbury) had an agreement with Napoleon that an area would be created where European wars could be fought which is why Belgium was created. It is just a story but...
I was only joking about famous Belgians. Belgium is also home to one of the largest chemical families; Solvay.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:54 pm

The Q t shirt wearing Trumpists are just Phase II of Pizzagate.
Then revive Obama birth certificate case!
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:49 pm

pErvinalia wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:07 pm
Deep lyrics, man.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Alan B

Post by Alan B » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:05 pm

I thought 'Q' was this source for Matthew and Luke...

Wiki

Or are these Qanon really that nutty.
Absolute faith corrupts as absolutely as absolute power - Eric Hoffer.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer proof nor do I have to determine absence of proof because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:36 pm

It's possible the QAnon rabbit hole was started by leftist scum.

'People Think This Whole QAnon Conspiracy Theory Is A Prank On Trump Supporters'
Last month, an Italian leftist activist collective called the Wu Ming Foundation pointed to a book they published in the ’90s that is shockingly similar to QAnon.

In 1999, Roberto Bui, Giovanni Cattabriga, Federico Guglielmi, and Luca Di Meo, writing under the name "Luther Blissett," published an Italian novel called Q.

Luther Blissett was a name regularly adopted in the ’90s by leftists, anarchists, and general troublemakers in Italy. It was used for staging all kinds of pranks. The Luther Blissetts in different cities would occasionally communicate by phone, but for the most part the project just spread organically. Think of it like an analogue Guy Fawkes Anonymous mask.

Three of the authors behind Luther Blissett — Bui, Cattabriga, and Guglielmi — told BuzzFeed News that the Blissett project was "a network of activists, artists and cultural agitators who all shared the name 'Luther Blissett.'"

They now operate under the name "Wu Ming" or "No Name."

"Coincidences are hard to ignore," Bui, Cattabriga, and Guglielmi said. "Dispatches signed 'Q' allegedly coming from some dark meanders of top state power, exactly like in our book."

They also pointed to the fact that the Q from the QAnon community is described almost exactly like Luther Blissett used to be described, "an entity of about 10 people that have high security clearance."

One of the most popular theories in the QAnon community is that John F. Kennedy Jr. faked his own death in 1999 and became QAnon, which is also the year Q was first published.

"We can't say for sure that it's an homage," they said. "But one thing is almost certain: our book has something to do with it. It may have started as some sort of, er, 'fan fiction' inspired by our novel, and then quickly became something else."

"Let us take for granted, for a while, that QAnon started as a prank in order to trigger right-wing weirdos and have a laugh at them. There's no doubt it has long become something very different. At a certain level it still sounds like a prank. But who's pulling it on whom?" they said.