About me: Never rong.

Re: Re:

Post by mistermack » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:24 pm

Hermit wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:24 am
Rum wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:54 am
As usual MM is talking crap.
To be fair, marketing bullshit can be a greater contributor to sales success than the quality of the product being sold. MM's mistake is the assumption that successful marketing bullshit excludes the possibility that the product being marketed can be any good.
I've never owned a Dyson. I'm just going by the quantity listed on freegle, free to take away, and they are nearly always faulty. It might be a false impression, but that's what's there. Also, people put wanted ads in for parts for Dysons. There are very rarely any other makes listed. It could be just coincidence.

I used to sell vacs door to door for a while, after I left University. It was a good laugh, and quite easy money for the time.
The most popular vac was the hoover junior. It had a 250 watt motor and a big cloth bag with a paper one inside. They would last for absolute ages, very well made. Electrolux made the best cylinder ones.
Even with 250 watt motors, a hoover junior would keep carpets absolutely spotlessly clean, if they were used regularly. (we used to demonstrate by showing what dirt we got out, in the bag)
Some places you got no dirt whatsoever. Others would nearly fill up in a minute. It was all down to whether people actually used them or not.

I can't understand why the modern ones need a 1500 watt motor, to do the same job. Doesn't seem hardly any better. Six times the wattage for slightly more suction.
While there is a market for shit, there will be assholes to supply it.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:16 pm

mistermack wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:24 pm
Electrolux made the best cylinder ones.
They certainly did. My mother had me helping her with this one in the early 1960s.

I think it may have been the first satisfactorily functioning vacuum cleaner we ever had. It was a joy to use, apart from the hose and the bag getting clogged on a regular basis.

Things have improved over the years. I have not had a single clogging incidence in the seven years I've used my second-hand Dyson, and the retractor spring setup for the power cord has not ever snagged once either.

When my Dyson suffers a terminal failure - and in the fullness of time this is bound to happen unless I cark it first - I'll be sure to seek your advice regarding what superior vacuum cleaner to buy next.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

mistermack

Re:

Post by mistermack » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:27 pm

I think that's the electrolux 310, which was one of the first to get a rewind flex, so you can forgive them not being perfect.
I have a feeling that was one of the first that went on to paper bags, with no cloth bag. I'm not sure about that.
It was a great move for the manufacturers, but shit for the customers.

My advice is to get a free one off freegle. They all clean. My cylinder one is a bagless vax, lightweight and works ok. Almost new and for free. YGWYP4. :D

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Re:

Post by Hermit » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:50 pm

Gotta love Rationalia. Where else can you start off posting in a thread concerning a mystery of a star 1000 light years away from the sun and finish up with a recommendation from a door to door salesman with the requisite experience concerning what 55 year old vacuum cleaner with a dodgy rewind flex to get.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

mistermack

Re:

Post by mistermack » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:23 pm

I did a google search for an instruction book for the vax a couple of weeks ago, and now my google chrome is constantly decorated with ads for vacuum cleaners. I've never ever paid for one in my life, and I'm not going to start now. But they don't know that.

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:04 pm

Hermit wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:50 pm
Gotta love Rationalia. Where else can you start off posting in a thread concerning a mystery of a star 1000 light years away from the sun and finish up with a recommendation from a door to door salesman with the requisite experience concerning what 55 year old vacuum cleaner with a dodgy rewind flex to get.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: "Tabby's Star" isn't surrounded by an alien Dyson Sphere

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:13 pm

Space is full of dirty, toxic grease, scientists reveal
It looks cold, dark and empty, but astronomers have revealed that interstellar space is permeated with a fine mist of grease-like molecules.

The study provides the most precise estimate yet of the amount of “space grease” in the Milky Way, by recreating the carbon-based compounds in the laboratory. The Australian-Turkish team discovered more than expected: 10 billion trillion trillion tonnes of gloop, or enough for 40 trillion trillion trillion packs of butter.

Prof Tim Schmidt, a chemist at the University of New South Wales, Sydney and co-author of the study, said that the windscreen of a future spaceship travelling through interstellar space might be expected to get a sticky coating.

“Amongst other stuff it’ll run into is interstellar dust, which is partly grease, partly soot and partly silicates like sand,” he said, adding that the grease is swept away within our own solar system by the solar wind....
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Re:

Post by Rum » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:39 pm

The alien overlord penchant for doner kebabs has a lot to answer for..

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Re:

Post by Sean Hayden » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:49 pm

I've long suspected our universe is in the innards of an engine. Do they even know we're here?

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:57 pm

Rum wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:39 pm
The alien overlord penchant for doner kebabs has a lot to answer for..
:spray:
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Galaxian
About me: Too old & too far away from the Beloved...

Re:

Post by Galaxian » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:04 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:57 am
True. Bit I'm waiting for Galaxian to pop in to tell us what's really going on here.:tea:
Of course,the vacuum cleaner guy is James Dyson who is 3 decades after Freeman Dyson of Dyson Sphere notoriety. The idea seems to have originated from Olaf Stapleton some 40 years earlier. But Stapleton was not American, so the credit had to go to Freeman, even though he objected to the credit.

But seriously. I have been to that vicinity and there is no Dyson or Stapleton sphere there. Indeed, the whole concept of encasing a star/sun in a sphere is ludicrous when examined rationally.

The main physical problem is that of thermodynamics; the excess heat from the interior requires enormous heat pumps to get rid of it, unless there are enormous voids all around the sphere, making it like a cobweb. That defeats the whole purpose of maximizing livable area.

Then there are philosophical quandaries, such as 'the meaning of life' & the purpose of applying the capitalist ideology to population, ie; eternal pointless growth of population, just for the hell of it.

The most advanced species in the Universe have no need for Dyson/Stapleton spheres, since they are quite frugal with energy use, and have no problem generating it by 'Zero-Point' techniques (balance of spontaneous creation and annihilation of subatomic particles). Using Zero-Point machines enables the being to travel anywhere, rather than be fixed at a specific star/sun.

Speaking of which, travel, exploration, and discovering things for oneself (tourism) is one of the main reasons for existence for extra terrestrial beings. Much like tourism on Earth or why people buy amateur telescopes, to discover the rings of Saturn and the craters of the Moon for themselves. Thus alien beings do not want to be stuck in one place, with trillions of others, even if scientifically it were possible. The mere thought of it is repulsive & degenerate. :levi:
The true seeker looks for the truth wherever it may be and readily accepts it, without shame, without hope for reward and without fear of punishment._Sam Nejad
There's no Mercy. There's no Justice. There is only Natural Selection! _Galaxian
The more important a news item, the more likely that it's a hidden agenda disinformation_Galaxian
"This world of sheeple has no hope!" Thus just 13 years left before extinction by AI_ Galaxian

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Re:

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:20 pm

You really must have no life if you find yourself writing that many words pretending that you are an interstellar space traveller. Seriously, get a life, man. You're sad.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Jason
Destroyer of words

Re:

Post by Jason » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:21 pm

Savage.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Re:

Post by JimC » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:15 pm

I rather enjoy sucking things up with my Dyson.

Does that make me a bad person?
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Re:

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:27 pm

I'm still shitty that Tabby's star isn't surrounded by a Dyson Sphere.. :lay:
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.