Scientific Proof Of God

Holy Crap!
Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: Scientific Proof Of God

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:39 am

superuniverse wrote:...

The modern non-religious man assumes a new existential position toward reality compared to all previous history. He regards himself as the sole subject and agent of history, and he refuses with scorn all appeals to transcendence. He considers the sacred as the prime obstacle to his freedom. He believes he will only become truly himself by demystifying everything, until he has killed every God.

So this event is seen by modern to have no significance at all other than it happened.

I believe it symbolizes the spiritual death of atheism and the forfeiture of divine protection
Tell us what you mean by 'transcendence' and 'spiritual' and perhaps we can start to have a honest discussion.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:43 am

Stop pestering his brain cell. It can only do so much. :ab:
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:48 am

superuniverse wrote:What I am doing here is contrasting different world views and the absolute poverty of the atheist imagination.
What you're actually doing is demonstrating the intellectual and moral paucity of an ideology which demands that the reality of the natural world must bow down and conform to the ignorant assumptions and misapprehensions of long dead goat roasters without a germ theory of medicine, who thought the Earth was flat and the sky was a dome, and who raped and murdered their neighbours just to steal their stuff.

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:54 am

Which world view will not exist, sh&thead...

As if the Nye geek and the gang of atheists we deftly deal with (https://nostradamusart.wordpress.com) can destroy thousands of years of religious belief. Scoff.
It's about time you faced up to the fact that we're only atheists because you've failed to convince us. Therefore you have to accept that whatever it is you're doing it's just not working - if atheism is a failure then it's your and your religion's failure. You simply must try harder.

Frank Zappa

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:54 am

Never did get an answer to my multiverse question.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:56 am

superuniverse wrote:NOTE: RANDI IS COMPLETELY OBLIVIOUS TO WHAT IS REALLY GOING ON:

He troubles you doesn't he? Who are you actually trying to convince he's wrong? Is it us or yourself?

Frank Zappa

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:57 am

superuniverse wrote:Most of you, old farts and what not, are harmless enough. Just keep your nonsense to yourself and you will be ok.
Healer heal thyself.

Frank Zappa

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:07 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:54 am

Which world view will not exist, sh&thead...

As if the Nye geek and the gang of atheists we deftly deal with (https://nostradamusart.wordpress.com) can destroy thousands of years of religious belief. Scoff.
It's about time you faced up to the fact that we're only atheists because you've failed to convince us. Therefore you have to accept that whatever it is you're doing it's just not working - if atheism is a failure then it's your and your religion's failure. You simply must try harder.
Awww, c'mon, religion simply isn't convincing, and using mormon or JW methods and insistence will serve only to make it obnoxious to boot.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:01 pm

In the days when a high proportion of children died young, where disease and random death reigned supreme it is easy to see why consolation was a big attraction - and how priest classes exploited it for their own ends making up fairy stories to offer some sort of consolation.

Mortality and its reality are still probably the biggest factors in religious belief - well that and the indoctrination you might be subject to in your family of birth but it isn't the immediate force it once was.

I do think SU has a point about 'transcendence' though (about the only coherent point he has made in this long sorry thread). Transcendence in Hinduism, Buddhism and even in some of the more esoteric branches of Christianity allowed a means of finding a kind of peace in this world. One may not agree with the methods involved - basically learning to turn off that which makes you human - i.e. your hopes, fears, passions and terrors but it has a long and at times positive tradition.

The woo that is attached to it is another matter of course. Meditation, for example, is quite easy top practice without resorting to mysticism to explain it and to place it in a context.

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:33 pm

The modern non-religious man assumes a new existential position toward reality compared to all previous history. He regards himself as the sole subject and agent of history
I have to disagree with you right here. I think the first-person perspective belongs to the religious and spiritually inclined people of the world - they tend to view themselves as the prime agent in the mortal world (with divine agents typically above them in an orchestrated structure [triad-topped simple hierarchies are popular]). The non-religious person assumes a collectivist perspective if you ask me - their prime concern in many decisions is how it impacts the climate and the population of the world.

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:39 pm

When I say 'prime agent' I mean to say that many religions adopt the view, generally speaking, that this life is a stage upon which we all play to please the divine agent(s). Their focus is on themselves, performing on the stage for divine approval.

That sounds like someone who regards themself (I think that's the proper gender neutral term?) as the "sole subject and agent."

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:43 pm

Śiva wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:33 pm

The modern non-religious man assumes a new existential position toward reality compared to all previous history. He regards himself as the sole subject and agent of history
I have to disagree with you right here. I think the first-person perspective belongs to the religious and spiritually inclined people of the world - they tend to view themselves as the prime agent in the mortal world (with divine agents typically above them in an orchestrated structure [triad-topped simple hierarchies are popular]). The non-religious person assumes a collectivist perspective if you ask me - their prime concern in many decisions is how it impacts the climate and the population of the world.
begging pardon, but where and how does a person arriving to the conclusion that religion is false, and thus becoming an atheist adopt a collective perspective? he still is the prime knower in his universe.

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:51 pm

I wasn't prepared for the Spanish inquisition.

Signor, I do not understand the question. Are you putting it to me that atheists cannot be communists?

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:00 pm

Definitely not, but i don't get how an atheist is any more "collective" than a religious person. without going into solipsim, every person still is the prime actor and thinker in their own universe... and if atheists can communicate, so can god botherers, and they do,, a lot, if only to spread their infection.

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:16 pm

Oh, well that's true. No one ever does your thinking or acting for you.

Unless you're a brain in a jar... then who knows?