Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: All Things Trump

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:11 pm

Svartalf wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:40 pm
technically, it being a verb used as a noun, it should be invariable

You mean there's a lot of backwards, gullible, religious, and racist invariables? :whistle:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:12 pm

Two Norwegian lawmakers have nominated the The Donald for a Nobel Peace Prize. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... s-nrk-says
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:18 pm

Give it in joint to Trump and Lil' Kim.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:31 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:12 pm
Two Norwegian lawmakers have nominated the The Donald for a Nobel Peace Prize. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... s-nrk-says
Anders Behring Breivik must be more influential in Norway than I feared.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:20 pm

Trump will definitely make Time Magazine's "Person of the Year". He'll be in good company with those who got there in 1938, 1939, 1942 and 1979.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:27 pm

All this political spamming has to stop. LOL
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:58 pm

Happy birthday, Mr. President.

'New York attorney general sues Trump Foundation'
The New York attorney general on Thursday sued President Donald Trump's charitable foundation along with its directors -- the President, his sons Eric and Donald Jr. and daughter Ivanka, alleging they violated state and federal charities law.

Attorney General Barbara Underwood alleges a pattern of persistent illegal conduct over more than a decade that includes extensive unlawful political coordination with the Trump presidential campaign.

Underwood is asking a court to dissolve the Trump Foundation and wants $2.8 million in restitution plus additional penalties.

The attorney general seeks to ban Trump from serving as a director of a New York not-for-profit for 10 years and Trump's children from serving for one year.

The complaint alleges that the Trump Foundation engaged in repeated and willful self-dealing transactions to benefit Trump's personal and business interests.

"As our investigation reveals, the Trump Foundation was little more than a checkbook for payments from Mr. Trump or his business to nonprofits, regardless of their purpose or legality," Underwood said. "This is not how private foundations should function, and my office intends to hold the Foundation and its directors accountable for its misuse of charitable assets."

The investigation also found that the board existed in name only and did not meet after 1999. Additionally, Trump allegedly made all decisions related to the foundation.

"This is politics at its very worst," a Trump Foundation representative said in a statement.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:10 pm

Sounds fishy. We should start a thread about that to follow the suit, if the moderators will allow. I'll look up the pleadings and papers.

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:14 pm

Per an earlier series of posts in which an investigation of Peter Strzok was advocated, the Office of the Inspector General of the US Department of Justice has released the report on its investigation of the FBI's actions during the 2016 campaign. It's a rather lengthy report and covers multiple issues. Among the topics it addresses is the question of whether Strzok's professional decisions during the campaign were affected by his political bias. The OIG found no evidence to support the claim made by right wing media that Strzok let his political opinions affect his decisions on the investigation. From the Executive Summary (page 12 of the PDF):
The text messages and instant messages sent by these employees [Strzok, Page, et al.] included statements of hostility toward then candidate Trump and statements of support for candidate Clinton, and several appeared to mix political opinions with discussions about the Midyear investigation.

We found that the conduct of these five FBI employees brought discredit to themselves, sowed doubt about the FBI’s handling of the Midyear investigation, and impacted the reputation of the FBI. Although our review did not find documentary or testimonial evidence directly connecting the political views these employees expressed in their text messages and instant messages to the specific investigative decisions we reviewed in Chapter Five, the conduct by these employees cast a cloud over the FBI Midyear investigation and sowed doubt the FBI’s work on, and its handling of, the Midyear investigation. Moreover, the damage caused by their actions extends far beyond the scope of the Midyear investigation and goes to the heart of the FBI’s reputation for neutral factfinding and political independence.
From Chapter Five (page 178 of the PDF):
[W]e did not find documentary or testimonial evidence that improper considerations, including political bias, directly affected the specific investigative decisions discussed below, or that the justifications offered for these decisions were pretextual. We recognize that these text and instant messages cast a cloud over the FBI’s handling of the Midyear investigation and the investigation’s credibility. But our review did not find documentary or testimonial evidence that these political views directly affected the specific investigative decisions that we reviewed in this chapter.

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:53 pm

Curious--the Chief Financial Officer of the Trump Organization was also the treasurer of the Donald J. Trump Foundation, but he says that he was unaware of that fact. It would certainly make it easier for Trump to play fast and loose if the person who was supposed to keep an eye on the foundation's finances was unaware that was his responsibility.

'Treasurer Of Trump Charity Says He Didn’t Know He Was Involved For Decade'
One of the top executives in The Trump Organization was on the board of Donald Trump’s charitable foundation for years, but said he only found out about that during a New York state investigation into the charity that eventually led to criminal charges.

New York state attorney general Barbara Underwood filed a lawsuit Thursday accusing the Foundation of operating under a “pattern of persistent illegal conduct, occurring over more than a decade.”

Part of the investigation included a deposition of Allen Weisselberg, who took the reins of The Trump Organization when Donald Trump assumed the presidency. A state investigator asked Weisselberg, who was listed as treasurer of the foundation, whether the foundation had a policy for determining which specific payments it was allowed to make, The Washington Post reported.

Weisselberg said there was no policy. The interviewer then asked whether Weisselberg had understood that he was actually on the board of the Trump Foundation, and had been for more than a decade.

He replied: “I did not.”

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:30 am

No no no. The philandering FBI agent didn't want Trump to be president, therefore he was biased - just like everyone who didn't want Trump to be elected. Only people who wanted to see Trump elected are unbiased.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:58 am

Another Trump "accomplishment"! Internment camps for brown kids! :td:

Administration will house migrant kids in tents in Tornillo, Texas
The Trump administration has selected a border facility near El Paso to build a tent city with 450 beds for migrant children.
BROWNSVILLE, Texas — The Trump administration has selected Tornillo, Texas, for the construction of tents to house the overflow of immigrant children, many of whom have been separated from their parents under a new "zero tolerance" policy, according to three sources familiar with the decision.

The Department of Health and Human Services will erect a "tent city," full of large tents whose walls touch the ground, that is estimated to hold 450 beds for children, say the sources.

It will not be the first time the U.S. government has erected tent cities to house immigrants. U.S. Customs and Border Protection used tents to house an influx of immigrants in 2014 and at the end of the Obama administration. But now the overflow of a particular immigrant population — in this case, children — is a government-created problem.

The increase of children who are alone and in need of care at the border is the product of a new Trump administration policy that on May 7 began criminally prosecuting all adult migrants crossing the U.S.-Mexico border between ports of entry. As a result, the Department of Homeland Security separates any children traveling with those adults before prosecution.

One shelter in Brownsville, holding nearly 1,500 boys aged 10 to 17, opened its doors to reporters on Wednesday. NBC News was among the first to tour the facility, which closely resembled a jail and allows children outside for only two hours per day.

The overflow of children at HHS facilities has caused backup at border stations, the first stop for immigrants crossing into the United States. As of last week, over 570 unaccompanied children were in the custody of the U.S. Border Patrol, and nearly 300 of those had been held for more than 72 hours, the limit for holding an immigrant of any age at a border station.

continued: https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/immigr ... as-n883281
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:29 am

Trump's not racist—he's just misunderstood. And if he is racist, everyone is racist anyway, so who cares? And if not everyone is racist, being racist isn't against law, so really, it's all just a big fat nothingburger.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:16 am

Seabass wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:58 am
Another Trump "accomplishment"! Internment camps for brown kids! :td:

Administration will house migrant kids in tents in Tornillo, Texas
The Trump administration has selected a border facility near El Paso to build a tent city with 450 beds for migrant children.
BROWNSVILLE, Texas — The Trump administration has selected Tornillo, Texas, for the construction of tents to house the overflow of immigrant children, many of whom have been separated from their parents under a new "zero tolerance" policy, according to three sources familiar with the decision.

The Department of Health and Human Services will erect a "tent city," full of large tents whose walls touch the ground, that is estimated to hold 450 beds for children, say the sources.

It will not be the first time the U.S. government has erected tent cities to house immigrants. U.S. Customs and Border Protection used tents to house an influx of immigrants in 2014 and at the end of the Obama administration. But now the overflow of a particular immigrant population — in this case, children — is a government-created problem.

The increase of children who are alone and in need of care at the border is the product of a new Trump administration policy that on May 7 began criminally prosecuting all adult migrants crossing the U.S.-Mexico border between ports of entry. As a result, the Department of Homeland Security separates any children traveling with those adults before prosecution.

One shelter in Brownsville, holding nearly 1,500 boys aged 10 to 17, opened its doors to reporters on Wednesday. NBC News was among the first to tour the facility, which closely resembled a jail and allows children outside for only two hours per day.

The overflow of children at HHS facilities has caused backup at border stations, the first stop for immigrants crossing into the United States. As of last week, over 570 unaccompanied children were in the custody of the U.S. Border Patrol, and nearly 300 of those had been held for more than 72 hours, the limit for holding an immigrant of any age at a border station.

continued: https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/immigr ... as-n883281
He probably got the idea from us Aussies. :(
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:17 am

Seabass wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:29 am
Trump's not racist—he's just misunderstood. And if he is racist, everyone is racist anyway, so who cares? And if not everyone is racist, being racist isn't against law, so really, it's all just a big fat nothingburger.

And there's good racists and bad racists.