Problematic Stuff

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Re: Problematic Stuff

Post by Forty Two » Sun May 20, 2018 7:00 pm

pErvinalia wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 1:29 am
I thought the thread was part of a narrative from you that the SJWs are taking over the world and are bent on enslaving you.
No, that's your red herring.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Sun May 20, 2018 7:05 pm

Seabass wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 5:37 am
CALL CONGRESS’S “BLUE LIVES MATTER” BILLS WHAT THEY ARE: ANOTHER ATTACK ON BLACK LIVES
https://theintercept.com/2018/05/19/blu ... brutality/
ON WEDNESDAY, THE House of Representatives passed the Protect and Serve Act of 2018 by a vote of 382 to 35. The act — a congressional “Blue Lives Matter” bill — would make it a federal crime to assault a police officer. The Senate version of the bill, which also has broad bipartisan support, goes even further, framing an attack on an officer as a federal hate crime.

The bills exemplify the very worst sort of legislation: at once unnecessary and pernicious.

The Protect and Serve Act would allow anyone who knowingly causes serious bodily injury to a law enforcement officer to be imprisoned up to 10 years. And it creates even harsher penalties for other criminal acts against police: If a police officer were kidnapped, killed, or faced a threat on their life, then the perpetrator could get a much longer sentence, including potentially life in prison.

The nickname of the bill itself speaks volumes. Blue Lives Matter bills — which have been passed at the state level in Kentucky and Louisiana — are always superfluous from a criminal justice standpoint. In our justice system, “blue lives” are already considered to matter the most — which is why police appropriation of the call for black lives to matter is so sickening. But these bills being unnecessary does not make them pointless. The point is clear, especially with regards to the adoption of hate crime statute frameworks: to reinforce the myth of the police as vulnerable and embattled — the very grounds on which police officers consistently justify the use of lethal force against black life.

“Rather than focusing on policies that address issues of police excessive force, biased policing, and other police practices that have failed these communities, the Protect and Serve Act’s aim is to further criminalize,” wrote a group of civil and human rights groups, including the American Civil Liberties Union, Human Rights Watch, and the NAACP, in a statement to Congress opposing the measures.

A number of commentators have stressed the superfluousness of making police attacks a federal crime. There’s not a state in the country that doesn’t already treat assaulting or killing an officer with the heaviest of penalties. With the laws that are already on the books at the state level, it’s already a safe assumption today that any convicted cop killer will be sentenced to life without parole.

The police themselves recently made this point in the case of Black Panther Herman Bell. When Bell got parole after serving 44 years for killing two cops, New York’s powerful police union reacted with fury: “If Herman Bell was convicted today of the very same crime, he would have been sentenced to life in prison without parole, which was not an option in the 1970s,” a spokesperson from the Patrolmen’s Benevolent Association told me earlier this year, in response to the parole decision. There’s no lack of punishment for crimes against police.

BOTH THE HOUSE and Senate bills are predicated on the notion that police are increasingly under threat. Policing does not even rank in the 10 most dangerous jobs, according to a 2015 Bureau of Labor Statistics report. Fishers, farmers, and, above all, loggers are more likely to die on the job. And police are, according to the same statistics, more likely to kill themselves than be killed by a criminal. The Senate bill notes that, in 2016, “ambush killings of police officers hit a 10-year high, with 21 such deaths.” This narrative of growing danger, however, falls apart when one notes that just a year later, in 2017, the number dropped to eight officers killed.

The notion of police as victims is becoming entrenched in policy in other ways, too. The same ideological commitment to police-as-persecuted underpins FBI efforts to frame Black Lives Matter activists as potential “black identity extremists” — a designation, conjured from thin air, that claims anti-racist activism is breeding a terroristic targeting of cops. The FBI’s tactics against Black Lives Matter activists has veered on occasion into physical surveillance.

By explicitly modeling their bill on existing hate crimes statutes, the Senate has denigrated the very notion of persecution. Treating cops as a persecuted minority equates a uniform — which you can take off — with skin color, religion, gender, or sexual orientation. And as the Blue Lives Matter bills’ sobriquet suggests, this legislation is a direct a response to anger over the actual — if not quite legally defined — hate crimes against black people, perpetrated by those in blue. The police uniform is accorded unique authority, impunity, and power. Black skin is marked with the opposite. With this act, a vast majority of Washington lawmakers have affirmed a willingness to hold black life in America in even lower standing.
Absolutely absurd law. Should not be allowed. But, it's the natural outgrowth of identity politics. It's all social constructs. There is no such thing as race, and you can take on and off "gender" because gender is fluid and one can be male one day, female the next, and both/neither the day after that. That's the whole concept of gender nowadays.

It's just a way for the federal government to arbitrarily prosecute cases that it thinks didn't turn out right in at the state level. This kind of federal law is violative of the principle of federalism, where criminal laws are primarily matters for the States, except where the federal government has been delegated jurisdiction. An attack on a police officer is a state crime. Pretending it's a hate-crime is ridiculous. But, it's the Progressives whose ideology allows for this. Every group identity ends up wanting "protection." The next step will be to protect police from being insulted or to protect police from langage which is intended to or likely to result in hatred of police officers. Don't worry, that'll come.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun May 20, 2018 9:01 pm

"Police" is both a race and a gender.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon May 21, 2018 1:15 pm

...and a religion...

There is no such thing as race or gender - it's all just social constructs. Same with police. People identify as police officers.

If one makes public, inflammatory, hostile and hateful comments about police, it may cause others to hate police officers and incite violence against them. Certainly, nobody should be subjected to incitements to violence and hatred, should they?

I heard someone say that we have too many cops around, and they were called pigs. That kind of dehumanization is hateful, and makes it easier for people to do violence against them.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Mon May 21, 2018 8:37 pm

If US police were less trigger happy, and less inclined to be biased against black people, they would not be regarded with such disapproval...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Mon May 21, 2018 10:23 pm

JimC wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 8:37 pm
If US police were less trigger happy, and less inclined to be biased against black people, they would not be regarded with such disapproval...
Yeah but black people engage in identity politics, which is totally unwarranted, and is totally destroying the world and probably also the universe.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue May 22, 2018 5:15 pm

JimC wrote:
And that's hate speech right there. It's an incitement to hatred of police.

You're smearing all police with a broad brush. That's stereotyping, and a hallmark of bigotry.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue May 22, 2018 5:16 pm

Seabass wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 10:23 pm
JimC wrote:
Yeah but black people engage in identity politics, which is totally unwarranted, and is totally destroying the world and probably also the universe.
Racists of all stripes engage in identity politics, black, white, yellow, red.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Tue May 22, 2018 5:19 pm

The police just need to stop hiring cowards or give them some bravery training as far as I can see. Every time they shoot a black person they say they were fearing for their life. Why would you become a police officer if you're going to shit yourself every time you see someone taller than you?
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue May 22, 2018 6:44 pm

Publix supermarket censors the word cum.
http://abcnews4.com/news/local/censored ... onors-grad

Summa cum laude. Very problematic! :spray:

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue May 22, 2018 6:46 pm

Defamation of heroes and martys! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... Times.html

Well, it is hateful, dontchaknow. So, we really should restrict people and their rude commentary on the dead.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sun May 27, 2018 9:39 am

I noticed that the movie Tropic Thunder is on tonight. For those that are fortunate enough not to have seen it, Robert Downey Jnr goes blackface for play his character. Would you be allowed to play this movie in Merka these days?
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon May 28, 2018 6:26 pm

Livestreaming in a public place outside of a courthouse in the UK when Muslims are on trial. Very problematic.

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Tue May 29, 2018 9:26 am

Forty Two wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 6:26 pm
Livestreaming in a public place outside of a courthouse in the UK when Muslims are on trial. Very problematic.
Given the malignant carbuncle in question has an established history of pulling the same stunt for the express purpose of riling up like-minded goons (is in fact under a suspended sentence for that), I think the police were justified in taking action. However, there is a thread on this topic where you can rail against the injustice of it all.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Tue May 29, 2018 10:18 am

I notice the racist, xenophobic, white supremacist rag Breitbart ran that story on Tommy Robinson in the US. :ask:
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.