The Internet is a shithole

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Re: The Internet is a shithole

Post by cronus » Fri May 25, 2018 4:10 pm

Easy to ram a square peg into a round hole and bring the ol' days back online. No one will thank you for it. Probably stir up popular revolt at this stage. Masses are quite addicted to their infantile clickbait culture. Might notice the oil running low faster without it?
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Fri May 25, 2018 4:19 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 3:56 pm
:lol: okay Rum, but it's fine if we discuss the negative aspects of the Internet too right?

You earned a degree online. Good for you, but how many people have taken on serious debt earning bullshit degrees from online universities? I think Trump even had one.
My MA wasn’t online learning, it was via tuition from Oxford Uni which would not have been possible without the net. I’m sure there are bogus courses out there though we do have the excellent Open University here which sets a high standard even if it’s star is fading a bit now.

Of course there’s plenty of shit on the internet, but life is shit then you die right? I prefer to sift through it and find the odd gem.

There’s a nice image to leave you with, :biggrin:

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Fri May 25, 2018 5:00 pm

I personally think the net is making me sick.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Fri May 25, 2018 5:11 pm

It could be. One way I'm able to take a break is to pick something I've wanted to learn/do and limit my online activities to mostly that stuff. Of course if you want to be politically active I guess you're fucked. --sorry

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Fri May 25, 2018 5:17 pm

I just turn it off. Half an hour over coffee in the morning, maybe the same at lunch time and then an hour or so in the evening. Some days I don't do any of that - maybe check email and that's about it. Today I've been on more than usual for some reason.

It isn't compulsory!

Joe

Post by Joe » Fri May 25, 2018 5:42 pm

Without the internet, I'd be an unemployed has-been. With it, I'm a gainfully employed has-been.

I'm not sure if that's a positive or a negative. :tut:
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Fri May 25, 2018 10:15 pm

Non-mobile phone using dinosaur I may be, but the bits of the internet I use are fucking brilliant, and I don't give a rat's arse about the rest!
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Fri May 25, 2018 10:19 pm

Animavore wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 5:00 pm
would your astrological sign be pisces? it's normal for fishes to be sick of nets.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Fri May 25, 2018 10:20 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 3:43 pm
Another interesting thing to look at is if the Internet has allowed for even more fleecing of the people than would have been possible without it? How much wealth has been stolen by the Internet, and from where? There may be some surprising stuff waiting to be found in that research.
Something like a quarter or a third of all Bitcoin in circulation are stolen. Current market cap of bitcoin is $US130 billion.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Fri May 25, 2018 10:22 pm

JimC wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 10:15 pm
Non-mobile phone using dinosaur I may be, but the bits of the internet I use are fucking brilliant, and I don't give a rat's arse about the rest!
well, I've decided to jump that post and procure a cell phone... I don't know how much I'll use it, but at least I'll have one.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri May 25, 2018 10:25 pm

Animavore wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 5:00 pm
I went through that for a while. And still do to a lesser degree. You've got to learn to let it all wash over you. Once I did that it got a lot better.

But some days I wish there was no internet so I could just get back to a more simple existence - more reading, more walking, more other stuff (whatever it was I did before the internet was around :think: ).
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri May 25, 2018 10:26 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 5:11 pm
..limit my online activities..
This phrase does not compute. :think:

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Fri May 25, 2018 10:58 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 1:57 pm
There's a lot of great stuff online.
There certainly is. I'd be lost without search engines, Wikipedia et cetera. Even Youtube has become a treasure chest filled to the brim with documentaries and films. Among the offerings I've watched in the past couple of months are Ken Burns's documentary series on the US civil war, a series about the British Touring Car Championships, The Triple Echo (starring Glena Jackson and Oliver Reed), Ken Russell's The Music Lovers and a heap of cute kitty clips. Mustn't forget the cute kitty clips. Skyping with relatives and friends who live in other countries is a bonus.
Sean Hayden wrote:
has the Internet failed to realize its potential as a tool for progress and enlightenment?
Not at all. The internet is a tool for progress and enlightenment. If you don't use it as such, don't blame the internet. The fact that it is also a tool for manipulation, fake news and sheer exploitation does not detract from that.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Fri May 25, 2018 11:08 pm

I agree with Hermit. All things considered, I'd say the internet does more good than harm.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Sat May 26, 2018 1:12 am

Hermit wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 10:58 pm
Sean Hayden wrote:
There's a lot of great stuff online.
There certainly is. I'd be lost without search engines, Wikipedia et cetera. Even Youtube has become a treasure chest filled to the brim with documentaries and films.
I'm always remarking to anyone who will listen (usually my kids) about how mind-blowing it is to someone who grew up without the internet that you can instantly find out info on almost any subject or thing or process that you are curious about. I remember as a kid that most families had a set of encyclopedias, and laboriously searching through them was the only way to find out how something worked. Now we've got an immense encyclopedia, dictionary, thesaurus and TV in our hands by way of a smart phone. Incredible! Although, I do always remind my kids that a lot of stuff on the internet is bullshit, and more than ever you need to use your critical thinking skills to sort the wheat from the chaff.