All Things Trump

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: All Things Trump

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun May 20, 2018 10:22 am

I remember, but this is a far fairer system because the sick pay for the healthy.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sun May 20, 2018 10:50 am

The thought of having a system like that is terrifying.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun May 20, 2018 12:19 pm

But why should the healthy pay for the treatment and care of the sick? :whistle:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Sun May 20, 2018 1:25 pm

If you couldn't afford treatment before Obamacare then how could you after Obamacare? With Obamacare you went from having no insurance to having insurance that didn't cover shit. But hey, on paper you had insurance! :cheer:

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Sun May 20, 2018 1:46 pm

Keep in mind that if you can't afford insurance, then when the government offers to pay for part of an insurance plan your selection criteria will still only be based on price i.e. you don't magically have access to a variety of options, you're getting the shit plan.

Then of course there is the problem of how poverty is defined. If you ask me they've lost their minds, having essentially declared a big chunk of poor people to be middle class.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Sun May 20, 2018 5:17 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 1:25 pm
If you couldn't afford treatment before Obamacare then how could you after Obamacare? With Obamacare you went from having no insurance to having insurance that didn't cover shit. But hey, on paper you had insurance! :cheer:
There’s a difference between paying a 10 000 deductible and a 200 000 hospital bill.
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Joe

Post by Joe » Sun May 20, 2018 5:37 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 12:19 pm
But why should the healthy pay for the treatment and care of the sick? :whistle:
:hehe:
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Sun May 20, 2018 6:16 pm

Tero wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 5:17 pm
Sean Hayden wrote:
There’s a difference between paying a 10 000 deductible and a 200 000 hospital bill.
Not for someone who can't afford insurance. I was at the doctor this week and some guy needed a procedure that would cost 180 bucks. He couldn't afford it. That's the level we're dealing with.

For someone who can't afford 200 bucks even a 5,000 deductible is insurmountable. But you want to claim Obamacare a victory.

--remember Bush on the carrier :hehe:

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Sun May 20, 2018 6:28 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
The coverage was fine, the cost went up astronomically.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Sun May 20, 2018 6:36 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 6:16 pm
Tero wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 5:17 pm
Sean Hayden wrote:
Not for someone who can't afford insurance. I was at the doctor this week and some guy needed a procedure that would cost 180 bucks. He couldn't afford it. That's the level we're dealing with.

For someone who can't afford 200 bucks even a 5,000 deductible is insurmountable. But you want to claim Obamacare a victory.

--remember Bush on the carrier :hehe:
The person who can't afford the $200 gets free insurance, and did before Obamacare. We had a Medicaid system for truly poor people. The problem solved by Obamacare had nothing to do with poor people or people who could not afford insurance.

I'll remind you that before Obamacare over 85% of the population was covered by insurance. Of the portion that was not insured, half of them made above the median income. One quarter of the "uninsured" were illegally in the country. Of the remaining 1/4 that made below the "median" income in the US (then about $50,000 per year, many of those were eligible for free insurance under SCHIP and Medicaid, but never enrolled. The few that made too much money to qualify for Medicaid, often chose not to buy insurance which was available at something on the order of $100 per month (as late as 2012, before Obamacare kicked in).

Then Obamacare kicked in, and the cost of insurance has tripled and even quadrupled.

In my "lived experience" -- in 2012, insurance for family of four cost about $400 per month for a good plan through one of the major insurers. Now, after Obamacare spewed all over everything, It's now just under $1,400 per month. Per. Month. That's Obamacare.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Sun May 20, 2018 6:37 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 10:22 am
I remember, but this is a far fairer system because the sick pay for the healthy.
....the healthy aren't incurring any costs except an annual physical/check-up.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Sun May 20, 2018 6:40 pm

Animavore wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 9:50 am

Remember when Trump said he'd be replacing Obamacare with something better?

I remember.
Why can't he get the exchange rate based on his income? $2000 per month for an individual doesn't sound likely. He could get cheaper insurance just by picking up the phone and calling Blue Cross/Blue Shield.

But, it's Obamacare that caused insurance rates to go up. and, the only thing that Trump was able to repeal was the "individual mandate," meaning the law does not require you to buy insurance under penalty of IRS fine and criminal prosecution. The exchanges are still there.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Sun May 20, 2018 6:45 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 8:34 pm
Trump accuses FBI of infiltrating his campaign. So what? Federal law enforcement works undercover all the time. It's not like it's illegal or anything.
LOL, let the FBI plant a spy in the next Democratic candidate's camp and we'll see how legit it is.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun May 20, 2018 6:48 pm

So it's true then? Undercover operations were launched against the Trump campaign?

Frank Zappa

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Sun May 20, 2018 6:58 pm

Apparently, it was this guy. The FBI says it was part of an investigation. https://nypost.com/2018/05/19/cambridge ... -campaign/