Keystone Pipeline (merged)

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Re: Nebraska to resist pipeline route

Post by Tero » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:20 pm

It is used in big engines that are on ocean going ships. That leaves more regular diesel for trucks on the road.

I have a blog entry on the tar sands now.
http://esapolitics.blogspot.com/2017/11 ... at-is.html
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Tyrannical

Post by Tyrannical » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:42 am

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Crude-Oil/K ... rtain.html
I, for reasons I can't explain, regularly like reading the news articles on oilprice.com :thinks:

Originally, the US needed the pipeline to get more Canadian oil. We don't need that so much now.
In the intervening years since TransCanada originally proposed Keystone XL, U.S. oil production has grown by more than 80 percent, from just over 5 million barrels per day to about 9.6 mb/d today. There has also been a massive buildout of oil pipelines in the U.S., taking crude from the Bakken and the Permian to refineries on the East and Gulf Coasts. The urgent need for Keystone XL is questionable.
Canada needs pipelines to get oil to market, and are selling at a discount.
For Canada, however, the need for pipelines is more evident than ever. Western Canada Select (WCS), a benchmark for heavy crude from Alberta, routinely trades at a discount to WTI (West Texas intermediary oil). However, that discount has worsened because of pipeline bottlenecks. Bloomberg Gadfly points out that there is a shortage of pipeline capacity from Canada equivalent to about 330,000 bpd this year, a deficit that will balloon to 700,000 bpd by 2019 as more oil sands projects come online at a time when all major pipeline projects have suffered from serious delays. WCS is now trading at a massive discount even to heavy crude from Mexico – the latter has a much easier time getting to refineries in Texas and Louisiana.
Two other options besides Keystone.......
The only options for Canada’s oil producers are the Trans Mountain expansion, which will triple the line’s existing capacity from 300,000 to 890,000 bpd, taking Alberta to Canada’s Pacific Coast and Enbridge’s Line 3 expansion to Wisconsin, which will boost the pipeline’s capacity and is much more likely to move forward. The third and last option for Alberta is Keystone XL
But don't need all three.
“We definitely need two of these pipelines by around 2025 and after that it depends on the supply outlook,” Mark Oberstoetter, an analyst with Wood Mackenzie, told Reuters earlier this year. “There’s not an evident need to get three or four pipelines built.”
A rational skeptic should be able to discuss and debate anything, no matter how much they may personally disagree with that point of view. Discussing a subject is not agreeing with it, but understanding it.

mistermack
About me: Never rong.

Post by mistermack » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:47 am

When they are talking about a pipeline deficit, the make it sound like there is no way to cut production.

You would think that if you can't shift it, you would simply slow down extracting it.

It's amazing how quickly people get dependent on oil. If Canada had never had it, they would still manage.
Maybe the people who bought into it overreached themselves with the contracts.
While there is a market for shit, there will be assholes to supply it.

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:58 pm

The business side of it is that the oil becomes too expensive if you have too many start ups and shut downs. Once you’ve built the pipe and put in the extraction plant, you have to keep producing. These are calculated based on some 20 years.

The bigger chunk of the oil you have , the more you can control the regional market. Sometimes they stock up on the diesel fuel and don't sell. Like grain silos.

mistermack
About me: Never rong.

Post by mistermack » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:28 pm

I think as far as the world market goes, an awful lot depends on what Russia decides to do.
Their dependence on the oil price is reducing, as they diversify into other industries and cut down on imports.

Places like Iraq and Texas have also had temporary problems, that should be ironed out fairly soon.
So the prospects are for more oil, at a lower price, in the medium term. Maybe that's why the big users are running down stocks at the moment. They foresee a prospect of cheaper replacement shortly.
While there is a market for shit, there will be assholes to supply it.

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:00 am

Pipeline leak was construction error 10 years earlier
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way ... gators-say

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:35 pm

Tero wrote:Only if you let rail out of control. Design better tank cars.
Pipelines are only worse if you let them out of control. LOL.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:36 pm

mistermack wrote:
Tero wrote:Only if you let rail out of control. Design better tank cars.
But you have to compare upgraded rail to upgraded pipe, and then pipe still comes out ahead.

Trains seem wasteful. They have to do the return trip, going back the same route empty.
And, additional maintenance, and they tend to run through populated areas.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:38 pm

Tero wrote:The Nebraska passed the pipe permit but not with the route Transcanada requested. "Submit new route please."
The dotted line is not going to go there. across the major aquifer. it can go on the S Dakota part to the right over to the yellow line and follow it for the NE part. I suggest they put it right thru the capitol Pierre.
[ifit]
The dotted line actually brought it closer to Pierre than the other line.

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:06 pm

Fine, Pierre it is.

Tyrannical

Post by Tyrannical » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:17 am

Because I like oilprice.com :lay:

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Crude-Oil/U ... kness.html

But most of the U.S. oil production is light tight oil, and American exports—especially those of very light sweet crude—may hit a demand constraint next year.

Last year, 51 percent of the 8.4 million bpd of crude oil produced in the Lower 48 States was light oil, or less dense oil with an API gravity of 40.1 or above, EIA data shows. The higher the API gravity, the lighter the oil. So far this year, much of the lower 48 states’ crude oil production had 30.1 or higher API gravity.
The solution is to blend with heavier Canadian oil, delivered via pipeline.
Also, consumption of various oil products outside the U.S. “argue for processing middle-gravity crudes such as Arab Light, Iranian Light and Russian Urals, rather than extra-light barrels such as 48°API gravity Eagle Ford,” Barnes said.

Import data about U.S. crude sales in some Asian market suggests that Japan and India, for example, aren’t looking for extra light barrels from the U.S. Japan’s crude oil imports from the U.S. have a weighted average API gravity 36.9, Barnes writes, quoting data by the Petroleum Association of Japan. India, for its part, is said to have recently imported WTI and Southern Green Canyon, whose API gravity is 40 and 28, respectively.
A rational skeptic should be able to discuss and debate anything, no matter how much they may personally disagree with that point of view. Discussing a subject is not agreeing with it, but understanding it.

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:38 am

Big Government (Trump) files report supporting Foreign (Canada) company ruining American farm land.
http://www.1011now.com/content/news/Rep ... 57171.html
What happened to America first?

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:37 pm

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:40 pm

Good.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:41 pm

Yeah, what does the US want with $30/barrel Canadian oil anyway?