Carbohydrates (CHO) and Fibre - Energy Values

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Re: Carbohydrates (CHO) and Fibre - Energy Values

Post by JimC » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:45 am

You forgot to mention gin... :nono:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:47 am

mistermack wrote:I think that calorie counting isn't all it's cracked up to be.
It sounds simple, to just restrict yourself to a certain number of calories. But it's nearly impossible to control your weight that way.
If you don't satisfy your body's demands, the cravings are near enough impossible to fight, just with willpower.

So willpower needs help. To lose weight, you need to find foods that supply bulk without too many calories. Food that fills the gap, conning your body into thinking it's well fed, so that it doesn't set off the hunger switches in your brain.

Foods with a high water content, like lettuce, celery, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, tomatoes, carrots, onions etc etc, can do the trick. You need to eat lots of it, to get the same full feeling as high carb foods give you, but it does work, and you can lose weight without feeling hungry all the time if you apply it properly. Add a not excessive piece of lean steak or fish, and you have a balanced meal without high carbs that kills the cravings very well.
Can the same be done with starches? I think they are usually pretty filling, but I'm not sure on what their energy content is.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:50 am

Compared to the veggies mm mentioned, starch (or food that is mostly starch) has more calories per volume. To get the same "full" feeling from eating potatoes as you'd get from a range of salad vegetables, for example, you would certainly have a lot more calories...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:55 am

JimC wrote:You forgot to mention gin... :nono:
gin has no fiber, it's all filtered out before it's put in the bottle
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:56 am

JimC wrote:Compared to the veggies mm mentioned, starch (or food that is mostly starch) has more calories per volume. To get the same "full" feeling from eating potatoes as you'd get from a range of salad vegetables, for example, you would certainly have a lot more calories...
That's interesting, as when people think of 'having a light meal', salad is usually the first thing that comes to mind. If you want a 'heavy meal', have steak and potatoes and bread.. would usually be the line of thinking.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

mistermack
About me: Never rong.

Post by mistermack » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:04 am

pErvinalia wrote:
JimC wrote:Compared to the veggies mm mentioned, starch (or food that is mostly starch) has more calories per volume. To get the same "full" feeling from eating potatoes as you'd get from a range of salad vegetables, for example, you would certainly have a lot more calories...
That's interesting, as when people think of 'having a light meal', salad is usually the first thing that comes to mind. If you want a 'heavy meal', have steak and potatoes and bread.. would usually be the line of thinking.
If you want to use salads to lose weight, I think you need a much bigger plate than usual. An ordinary sized salad wouldn't sort out my hunger pangs, but a big one does.
Loads of lettuce, cucumber, onions, tomatoes to start with. Then I add mixed veg, straight from a frozen bag into boiling water, takes no time at all. Still low on calories, but high on variety and bulk.
My salad would make two or three average salads, it's very filling, but it's still low on calories.

Funny thing is, I really fancy it in summer, but less so in winter. But if the object is to lose weight, it really works.

Starches are to be avoided like the plague, unless you are trying to actually gain weight.
While there is a market for shit, there will be assholes to supply it.

Alan B

Post by Alan B » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:05 pm

pErvinalia wrote: I thought you Europeans had moved into the modern age and used SI units. What's with all this calorie shit? AND mixing it with an SI unit like kilo...
NineBerry wrote: Legally, the labelling has to use Joule, but using kcal _additionally_ is still allowed and quite common.
I used kcalories in my OP to pander to those across the pond... :whistle:

I normally use kJoules as the 'accurate' figure and recalculate to kcal. in my spreadsheets as dual info. My son still uses calories even though he has a German wife...
(I thought she would have educated him by now).
Absolute faith corrupts as absolutely as absolute power - Eric Hoffer.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer proof nor do I have to determine absence of proof because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.

Alan B

Post by Alan B » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:08 pm

mistermack wrote: Starches are to be avoided like the plague, unless you are trying to actually gain weight.
So far, Sainsbury's, in the UK, is the only supermarket to add 'Starch' to their nutrition labelling - AFAIK.
Absolute faith corrupts as absolutely as absolute power - Eric Hoffer.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer proof nor do I have to determine absence of proof because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:40 pm

Starches are the actual food. All the carbs are are used for energy once broken to monosaccharides. The slow processing gives a steady dose. Sugar just gives a quick spike.

The processing ends with
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citric_acid_cycle