Irish Deportation of Undocumented Immigrants

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Irish Deportation of Undocumented Immigrants

Post by Forty Two » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:14 pm

Ireland deporting record numbers of hard working immigrants. http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/40 ... 23461.html

Cruel and inhumane Irish government making people homeless by enforcing immigration laws to remove illegal immigrants. https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social- ... -1.3228138

Deportations from Ireland higher than Irish deportations from the US - https://www.irishcentral.com/news/depor ... ns-from-us

Immigrants fight for their rights in Ireland -- http://www.thejournal.ie/undocumented-i ... 9-Nov2016/
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Re: Irish Deportation of Undocumented Immigrants

Post by Rum » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:30 pm

What exactly is wrong with deporting illegal immigrants? They are illegally in the country.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:23 pm

Rum wrote:What exactly is wrong with deporting illegal immigrants? They are illegally in the country.
Depends on which illegal immigrants you are referring to. Are you talking about refugees from war zones, economic opportunists, people who overstay their visa, or what?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:18 pm

I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:32 pm

Rum wrote:What exactly is wrong with deporting illegal immigrants? They are illegally in the country.
That's what I was wondering. Every time there is a push for illegal immigrants in the US to be deported, there is a hubbub. I created this thread, actually, because of a post in another thread about the tragedy and horror of illegal immigrants in Washington State being deported by Trump's immigration service. The article recounts that apparently everyone thought only rapists and murderers would be deported, but now people who are "just" illegally in the country are being told to leave. I thought it interesting, given that the one who posted the story about the US's horrific treatment of illegal aliens refers in his profile to being from Ire Land.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:44 pm

Not me. 'Illegal' means illegal as far as I am concerned. There might be valid arguments concerning the definition of that word, but if you don't have a law then your country is making itself vulnerable to being swamped in the right circumstances.

Lost in the middle distance of history now was the 'inlux' as it became known of illegal immigrants fleeing the Cultural Revolution in China and swamping Hong Kong to the tune of two million over a couple of years...and HK is a very small place. I remember it well - including the huge shanty towns that grew up on the hillsides. Most were simply sent back to await whatever fate the Commies had in store for them, but clearly a lot made it. It was pretty chaotic at the time.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:35 pm

So, given the lack of participation in this thread, can we assume that most people think the Irish are not treating their illegal immigrants inhumanely by telling them they ought to leave?

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:43 pm

There's no conspiracy to discredit the Irish. I guess we could start one, but why? They ain't a threat to nobody. :tea:

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:08 pm

No attempt to "discredit" them. Discussion of issues doesn't need to serve some overarching issue of favoritism toward or discredit of one group or another or one country or another. If the US's immigration policy is reasonable fodder for discussion, so is Ireland's. The US is not some special case that must have wide open immigration, come one come all, in order to be humane, while every other country can maintain its borders, is it?

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:16 pm

:sigh: I think a lot of the negativity directed our way is the result of propaganda aimed at discrediting the US. Some days it feels like we've lost that battle altogether. There probably isn't much energy spent propagandizing against the Irish. Why would there be?

Of course the discussion doesn't need to serve some overarching issue, but don't be surprised when it keeps running out of steam without backing from major players interested in highlighting the faults of Ireland. :biggrin:

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:38 pm

Well, my question is -- if what the US does is so bad, why aren't people up in arms about what other countries do? The US has, comparatively, a very porous border and very open and welcoming immigration system, allowing a million new permanent residents per year and a million new citizens per year for about the last 15 to 20 years. That's the legals.

As I mentioned, it was someone purportedly Irish who posted a very scathing post about the US deporting people who were illegally in the country. I was curious what the Irish do. And, it turns out, they are pretty solidly in favor of deporting people who are illegally in the country. Not sure why an Irishman would be up-in-arms about what the US does, before addressing what they believe to be wrong in their own country....

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:44 pm

Yeah, no interest in un-ignoring just to read what bollox is written here.

Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:00 pm

Well this is the article you posted on another thread, Animavore: https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-ne ... ion-crack/

A Washington county that went for Trump is "shaken" because neighbors are disappearing, says the dramatic title.

What was the horror? A guy in that county who knew an illegal immigrant was shocked that the illegal immigrant was deported. Apparently, the illegal immigrant's visa expired 12 years ago, and he had been living and illegally working during that time. The article starts out saying that the guy just disappeared, but what really happened is that ICE visited where he was illegally working (he did not have a work visa) and they arrested him, booked him, detained him and then let him out on bond pending due process afforded by the immigration process where he can raise his defenses and try to resolve the matter with immigration before he is actually deported.

Another woman they deported had entered the country 10 years ago. She was caught, and sent back to Mexico right away, and she was subjected to a deportation order and a legal bar/prohibition on entering the US for a period of time. Instead of obeying that order, she reentered the US almost immediately and made it, and then she opted to live illegally in the US, also working illegally. She was then arrested and deported recently. The tragedy is that she has two kids that she birthed here in the States, and for them to stay with her, they had to go to Mexico. I mean, that's terrible. But, in that circumstance, what would they do in Ireland or elsewhere? Say, oh, well, you were already deported, already subjected to an order saying you aren't allowed in, you purposefully violated the law and that order, and demanded to live in the US illegally, but we're going to just let you stay now?

Then it gets kind of funny - the article goes on to say that in the 1980s and 90s, the immigration service would do sweeps in the county, arresting dozens of illegals at a time and deporting them. "But the Obama years, despite a record level of deportations nationally, seemed to leave the county’s immigrants pretty much alone." -- lol - Obama had "record levels of deportations" but that's cool because he left the illegal immigrants of Pacific County alone. Record levels of deportations - awesome. Deportations in Pacific County, horrific and unacceptable.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:15 pm

Forty Two wrote:So, given the lack of participation in this thread, can we assume that most people think the Irish are not treating their illegal immigrants inhumanely by telling them they ought to leave?
No, "we" cannot.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:35 pm

Well, it seems to me that Ireland ought to be suspending deportations, and enacting programs to allow illegal immigrants to work in Ireland, utilize Ireland's universal healthcare system and attend public schools. That's what civilized countries should do, isn't it? Deporting people is so American.