US v Manafort

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

US v Manafort

Post by Forty Two » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:07 pm

https://apnews.com/ffb7fc2995d64452be11 ... indictment

So, Paulie says he dindoonuffin.

He says all transactions were from legal sources, and that he did not set up offshore accounts or otherwise avoid US processes and taxes. He claims the indictment is "embellished." Pleads not guilty.

So, what have they got on him?

Where's the beef?
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: US v Manafort

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:53 pm

Who knows what they've got on him. Why speculate? We know what's in the indictment - let's see what each side bring to court eh?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:34 pm

That's what the thread is for - to continue the discussion as the case progresses.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:44 pm

It's all a political beat up by Hillary's Justice Department.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:22 pm

Forty Two wrote:That's what the thread is for - to continue the discussion as the case progresses.
Ah, OK. Would you like me to add Gates and the indicted Russians to the thread title?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:24 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Forty Two wrote:That's what the thread is for - to continue the discussion as the case progresses.
Ah, OK. Would you like me to add Gates and the indicted Russians to the thread title?
You can do what you want, but they can also be the subject of other threads. A 12 count federal indictment is rather complex, and worthy of its own thread. Also, there are no indicted Russians. There has been some mention that the government says it has enough evidence to charge some unidentified Russians, but that arrests would be very unlikely. So, make of that what you will.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:37 pm

I was just offering to use my Mod POWAZ!! to update the thread title for you if you wanted me to. Gates and Manafort do stand on the 12 count indictment together. Your call.

I wonder how long it'll be before it gets to court?

Frank Zappa

Strontium Dog
About me: Navy Seals are not seals

Post by Strontium Dog » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:52 pm

I'm just wondering what his argument is going to be.

"Shillary made me do it"
"I was looking after the money for a friend"
"Roubles? I thought they were root vegetables"
"The account belongs to my dog"
"Donald said he would pardon me if anyone found out"
100% verifiable facts or your money back. Anti-fascist. Enemy of woo - theistic or otherwise. Cloth is not an antiviral. Imagination and fantasy is no substitute for tangible reality. Wishing doesn't make it real.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Barry Goldwater

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:09 pm

"I now call to the stand Vladimir Putin..."
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:20 am

AKA The Impaler...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

tattuchu
a dickload of cocks
About me: I'm having trouble with the trolley.

Post by tattuchu » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:20 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:I'm just wondering what his argument is going to be.

"Shillary made me do it"
"I was looking after the money for a friend"
"Roubles? I thought they were root vegetables"
"The account belongs to my dog"
"Donald said he would pardon me if anyone found out"
:hehe:
People think "queue" is just "q" followed by 4 silent letters.

But those letters are not silent.

They're just waiting their turn.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:48 pm

"The money was just resting in those accounts."

Frank Zappa

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:47 pm

Manafort put himself 'above the law' to fund his expensive tastes, court hears
Donald Trump’s former campaign chairman Paul Manafort put “himself and his money above the law” to bankroll a lavish lifestyle that included a $21,000 watch and a $15,000 jacket made from ostrich, a court heard on Tuesday.

“As the old adage goes, just follow the money,” assistant US attorney Uzo Asonye told the jury on the first day of the lobbyist and political consultant’s trial on 18 charges of bank fraud and tax evasion.

But Manafort’s defence sought to shift blame to his deputy, Rick Gates, and attempted to cast doubt on his forthcoming evidence by claiming that he betrayed Manafort’s trust and “had his hand in the cookie jar”.

The arguments were heard on the first day of the first trial arising from Robert Mueller’s investigation into alleged collusion between Trump’s presidential campaign and Russia. Mueller was not present in the courtroom in Alexandria, Virginia, and Trump’s name was not mentioned.

Even so, a pin could have been heard to drop as Asonye embarked on his opening statement. “A man in this courtroom believed the law did not apply to him,” he said, as Manafort looked on without expression. “No tax law, no banking law.”

The evidence gathered by Mueller’s team would show that Manafort funneled more than $60m in proceeds from his Ukrainian political consulting through offshore accounts and had hidden a “significant” portion of it from the IRS, the prosecutor continued. It funded multiple luxury homes, fast cars and “fancy clothes” worth half a million dollars...

Frank Zappa

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:14 pm

Washington Post profile.

https://youtu.be/67HZD0M6L6w

Frank Zappa

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:00 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:14 pm
Washington Post profile.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka