Magic mushrooms

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Re: Magic mushrooms

Post by cronus » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:45 am

Only a matter of time before they reverse-engineer the language module(s) of the brain and put them on a silicon substrate. It's not game over for a theory of minds yet but it is getting there. And the supremacy of human cognition will fall soon after. I'm not a fan of singularity/trans-humanist hubris but cannot see any ghost in the wet-ware of the human brain that won't be exactly as happy in the dry-ware of a machine, on the day.
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:40 am

It's not game over for theory of mind at all. I know you have one.
:tea:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

cronus
Black Market Analyst

Post by cronus » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:54 am

Brian Peacock wrote:It's not game over for theory of mind at all. I know you have one.
:tea:
The chattering classes fell for Freud too, all this Theory of Mind thing is. Average IQ can be a disability. :tea:

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:57 am

Unless you think yours is the only mind in the universe theory of mind is secure - and if you do think that, your out of yours. :tea:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

cronus
Black Market Analyst

Post by cronus » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:18 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:Unless you think yours is the only mind in the universe theory of mind is secure - and if you do think that, your out of yours. :tea:
Ears take in sounds devoid of meaning that in a greater or lesser amount impact on the language module and their output. Meaning isn't necessary. A precise theory of mind will not be necessary, it is unlikely a theory of mind will be needed at all - to mimic human cognition. You'll understand later if there is time? :tea:

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:45 pm

It's all brain. It's just nigh impossible to imagine how to reproduce it algorithmically...

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:47 pm

But we can algorithmetize (!) certain aspects of perception, such as motion, colour or edge detection, facial or voice recognition, text-to-speech etc. It's only a matter of creating an operating framework on which these modules can hang, and then managing I/O, memory allocation and buffer overrun issues. The algorithmetized mind is coming, and it will probably run on Windows. :D

Frank Zappa

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:45 pm

Anyway, the mind can induce organic physical changes in its host, the brain, this has been proven by extensive research on meditation. What you think triggers biochemistry that affects the brain. So if our forefathers enhanced their mind by consuming mushrooms that induced new neural connections firing, it is quite likely that it impacted the brain.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:20 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:But we can algorithmetize (!) certain aspects of perception, such as motion, colour or edge detection, facial or voice recognition, text-to-speech etc. It's only a matter of creating an operating framework on which these modules can hang, and then managing I/O, memory allocation and buffer overrun issues. The algorithmetized mind is coming, and it will probably run on Windows. :D

:lol: That's what the blue brain project's for... Just get it modeled up, extend the USB lightning rod, and we're off!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:47 pm

Frank Zappa

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:50 pm

DRSB wrote:Anyway, the mind can induce organic physical changes in its host, the brain, this has been proven by extensive research on meditation. What you think triggers biochemistry that affects the brain. So if our forefathers enhanced their mind by consuming mushrooms that induced new neural connections firing, it is quite likely that it impacted the brain.
Learning French induces physical changes in the host.

Just saying' :whistle:

Frank Zappa

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:00 pm

I think the brain/mind is one thing, a little like a lightbulb and the glow it produces. One can't exist without the other as things stand anyway. Given how ephemeral it is I suspect consciousness is an illusion. Persistent and pretty convincing, but very temporary, elusive, and a mere wisp of a thing, easily extinguished and never repeated in quite the same way.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:21 pm

You might have a head like a boiled egg, but you have the soul of poet Rum. :D

Frank Zappa

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:25 am

DRSB wrote:Anyway, the mind can induce organic physical changes in its host, the brain, this has been proven by extensive research on meditation. What you think triggers biochemistry that affects the brain. So if our forefathers enhanced their mind by consuming mushrooms that induced new neural connections firing, it is quite likely that it impacted the brain.
Agreed; it's not entirely improbable that those whose brains were more amenable to these changes could have been more successful surviving and reproducing, driving an evolutionary change.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:02 am

DRSB wrote:or you can be conscious of things you are not aware of,
Can you give an example of this? While consciousness and awareness aren't synonymous, I'd expect that awareness is a subset of consciousness.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.