Problematic Stuff

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Re: Problematic Stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:52 pm

Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:05 pm

Hipster sexism (aka ironic sexism) and joking in a tongue-in-cheek way is sexism. Like all rape is rape and there is no difference. All sexism is sexism. https://www.bitchmedia.org/post/hipster ... ism-sexism
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:18 pm

I don't get what any of that has to do with hipsters. And if the title of the site wasn't enough to make me think "wtf?", within the first paragraph she(?) goes from saying grouping people under the term "hipsters" is obnoxious, to then expounding on how sexist hipsters are. Good work, love.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:35 pm

It creates an environment where [...] you can joke that a woman should make you a sandwich knowing that she’ll “get” the joke, but really, underneath it all you kind of do think women should have to make your sandwiches.
Oh, Kelsey knows us sexist hipsters too well. Every one of us. And I know she's right because she has an M.A. in Communication Studies/Gender Studies and a B.A. in Communication Studies/Sociology/French.

So, why do I use "she" and "her"? Well, if it's good enough for Bitchmedia, it's good enough for me. Also, complaining about "ironic sexism" in an article written for bitchmedia... :nono:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:41 pm

I thought that too, but I know already what the answer would be. Teh feminists are reclaiming the word!

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:07 pm

Hermit wrote:
It creates an environment where [...] you can joke that a woman should make you a sandwich knowing that she’ll “get” the joke, but really, underneath it all you kind of do think women should have to make your sandwiches.
Oh, Kelsey knows us sexist hipsters too well. Every one of us. And I know she's right because she has an M.A. in Communication Studies/Gender Studies and a B.A. in Communication Studies/Sociology/French.

So, why do I use "she" and "her"? Well, if it's good enough for Bitchmedia, it's good enough for me. Also, complaining about "ironic sexism" in an article written for bitchmedia... :nono:
Bitchmedia is claiming the word bitch, and their use of it is a marginalized group empowering itself by taking ownership of the word, instead of it being used towards them by the oppressor group.

I've reevaluated, maybe "Communications Studies" and "Gender Studies?" sound like rigorous disciplines that provide a solid, quality education. I'd expect such a person to have a deep and abiding knowledge of the ironic sexism of hipsters, which is quite an important area of study.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:12 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Hermit wrote:

Bitchmedia is claiming the word bitch, and their use of it is a marginalized group empowering itself by taking ownership of the word, instead of it being used towards them by the oppressor group.
There's actually nothing wrong with the concept of wresting control of a word that is derogatory to people through no fault of their own. Not that I'd expect you to understand that, with your ridiculous black and white characterisations.

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:27 pm

Forty Two wrote:Bitchmedia is claiming the word bitch, and their use of it is a marginalized group empowering itself by taking ownership of the word, instead of it being used towards them by the oppressor group.
If they are attempting to emulate the civic rights movement who fought derogatory associations that came with the word "black", they ought to connect "bitch" with something positive.

Maybe "Bitch is Wow"?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:28 pm

:lol:

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:49 pm

Hermit wrote:
Forty Two wrote:Bitchmedia is claiming the word bitch, and their use of it is a marginalized group empowering itself by taking ownership of the word, instead of it being used towards them by the oppressor group.
If they are attempting to emulate the civic rights movement who fought derogatory associations that came with the word "black", they ought to connect "bitch" with something positive.

Maybe "Bitch is Wow"?
Well, in the US, there was never any derogatory association with the word black. Black was acceptable. The derogatory words were nigger, negro and colored, etc. They "reclaim" nigger by using it themselves.

I have no problem with feminists using the word Bitch, or Jezebel, or "chick" etc. I just don't agree that it does anything to "empower" anyone. I also don't agree that women are "marginalized" or "oppressed" in our society, which is why I often use those words in a way that convey my opposition to the terms.

It's like guys saying they're empowering themselves by using the word "asshole" or "dick" when referring to each other. Men are referred to by derogatory names all the time, even by women. It would, nevertheless, be really stupid to create "Dick Media" (as an equivalent to Bitch Media) as some pro-men's rights effort to reclaim the word "dick."

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:50 pm

Yeah, what about the men? It's really not fair.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:00 pm

I neither asked what about the men, nor suggested something was unfair. Image

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:06 pm

"Men are referred to by derogatory names all the time"

Uh huh.

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:38 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Hermit wrote:

Maybe "Bitch is Wow"?
Well, in the US, there was never any derogatory association with the word black.
Yes, there was. Once you have established the stereotypical African American, "black" became inevitably associated with derogatory characteristics every time someone referred to someone else as a black person. At its crudest it took the form of society as a whole having had a negative perception of the African American body, labelled "black" on account of skin colour, as suitable only for slave status. Black also became synonymous with being lazy, stupid and untrustworthy when applied to such a person.

You certainly know the USA much better than I, but we had a USAF pilot renting an apartment on the floor above us in the late 60s, and he had dozens of soldiers visit him in that time, all WASPs. I had just read Uncle Tom's Cabin and The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (both translated into German), and was keen to improve on my school English, so I thought those books were a good topic to converse with them about. Oh boy. It was the blacks this and the blacks that without end. My parents naturally got wind of it, because I told them all about the new things I had discovered from day to day. At one stage my mother sat me down in the lounge room and explained to me at length that the blacks are human beings like I her, dad, my sisters, my brother, neighbours, friends... My father walked in somewhere behind me and muttered: "But he knows all that." My mother looked over the top of my head and replied: "Just in case." Reading the books, getting the reaction from the pilot's visitors and my mother's precautionary lecture was quite an eye-opener. A few weeks later there was a bigger one. We began seeing white policemen setting German shepherd dogs on black people on the streets in US cities on the evening news.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:48 pm

A college professor criticized Trump. Now the White House wants an investigation.

White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders wants the University of Nevada, Las Vegas (UNLV) to investigate one of its professors after she strongly criticized President Donald Trump and the consequences of his election as the city reeled from the mass shooting.

Recordings of assistant professor Tessa Winkelmann showed her speaking to her class about the president's violent rhetoric and the power of his words.

"Right when he got elected, I told my classes, three semesters ago, that some of us won’t be affected by this presidency, but others are going to die," Winkelmann said in the video, obtained by the Las Vegas Review-Journal. "Other people will die because of this."

One student was "dumbfounded" and said the professor's comments were "appalling," in the wake of the recent mass shooting in Las Vegas, the Review-Journal reported.

"He’s [Trump] threatened to declare violence against North Korea and other places," the professor added. "And words, especially if they’re coming from someone who is the president, have consequences. . . I don’t know that these events would have inevitably happened whether or not he got elected, but he has rhetorical powers every president has to encourage or to discourage (violence). So far all he’s done is to encourage violence."
The White House condemned the comments and said the school should "look into" the professor's actions.
https://www.salon.com/2017/10/10/a-coll ... stigation/
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.