Democrats...let's move on

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Re: Democrats...let's move on

Post by Tero » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:16 pm

Democratic 2020 contenders? Voters haven't heard of them
“More than half of respondents say they've never heard of many of these potential candidates,” he said. “And, since some respondents may hesitate to admit they don't know the prospective candidates, overall awareness of the Democratic field may be even lower.”

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/06/1 ... hey-239612
"All bets are off when it comes to the composition of the 2020 Democratic primary," said Morning Consult Co-founder and Chief Research Officer Kyle Dropp. "This early polling indicates that many of the names being floated in Washington still have a lot of work to do in terms of building national profiles."

A handful of heavyweight party elders, however, would enter a campaign as known quantities: former Vice President Joe Biden, Sens. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) and Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.). At least three-quarters of voters surveyed said they had an opinion on Biden and Warren.

By signing up you agree to receive email newsletters or alerts from POLITICO. You can unsubscribe at any time.
All will be septuagenarians come November 2020, including Sanders, who wasn’t included in the name-ID battery but could decide to mount a second bid for the Democratic nomination. The poll also didn’t test Martin O’Malley — another 2016 also-ran who told CBS News this week he “certainly feel compelled to continue to look at” running again — but the former Maryland governor failed to gain any traction or broad name-ID during his presidential campaign.

The next tier of potential Democratic candidates are younger but little-known. Among the senators who have been mentioned as potential candidates, only Sen. Al Franken (D-Minn.) — the former “Saturday Night Live” writer and performer — has name identification that exceeds 70 percent. More than a third of voters, 35 percent, said they have never heard of Sen. Tim Kaine (D-Va.) — a former governor and national party chairman who was the Democratic vice-presidential nominee last year.

Sen. Cory Booker (D-N.J.) may be a social-media sensation, but 46 percent of voters said they have never heard of him. And four other senators — Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.), Kamala Harris (D-Calif.), Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.) and Chris Murphy (D-Conn.) —have majorities saying they have never heard of them.

Among the governors, only New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo has significant name-ID; just 30 percent of voters said they have never heard of him. But that number is 50 percent or greater for Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe, Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper, Washington Gov. Jay Inslee and Montana Gov. Steve Bullock.

The figures are similar for a number of other potential candidates tested in the survey: Rep. Seth Moulton (D-Mass.), former Missouri Secretary of State Jason Kander, Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti, Walt Disney Company CEO Robert Iger and Starbucks executive chairman Howard Schultz.

It’s notable that these candidates are not any better known among Democratic respondents; for all but Gillibrand and Booker, each candidate was as unknown among Democrats as among the overall pool of voters.

The poll was conducted June 8-12, surveying 1,990 registered voters. The margin of error is plus or minus 2 percentage points.

There’s some evidence these candidates could be even less known than the data indicate, Dropp said.

“More than half of respondents say they've never heard of many of these potential candidates,” he said. “And, since some respondents may hesitate to admit they don't know the prospective candidates, overall awareness of the Democratic field may be even lower.”
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Tyrannical

Post by Tyrannical » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:32 pm

Cory Booker could be another Obama; failed community organizer of a crime infested hell-hole of a city. Crime plummeted in Newark once Booker was gone....
A rational skeptic should be able to discuss and debate anything, no matter how much they may personally disagree with that point of view. Discussing a subject is not agreeing with it, but understanding it.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:10 pm

Yahbut you'd be racist not to vote for him, because black.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Tyrannical

Post by Tyrannical » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:28 pm

laklak wrote:Yahbut you'd be racist not to vote for him, because black.
Yeah but, the Mayor that took over was Black, name maybe even muzzy sounding. But crime dropped a lot.
A rational skeptic should be able to discuss and debate anything, no matter how much they may personally disagree with that point of view. Discussing a subject is not agreeing with it, but understanding it.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:07 pm

Are you saying the muslamic terrorist mayor didn't implement sharia law? :o
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:28 am

The goal remains:
Confront the Republicans!
I think one of Clinton's biggest problems in the race was that she never understood that Sanders' appeal wasn't totally about his proposals -- which weren't radically different than hers -- it was about his tone and willingness to confront Republicans at all times and on all fronts.
Her political background was forged in the 1980s and 1990s -- when bipartisanship was something to be aimed at. That wasn't the mindset of the Democratic Party, whose nomination Clinton was seeking. They wanted confrontation. They viewed the GOP worldview as not just wrong but immoral. They didn't want carefully poll-tested policies designed to barely keep them on board while also peeling off moderate Republicans.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/05/politics/ ... index.html
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:35 am

Polarisation and extremism is the name of the current political game in the US, it seems...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:33 am

Not healthy. Like Britain America is an adversarial country.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

devogue

Post by devogue » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:46 am

Doug Stanhope

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:46 pm

JimC wrote:Polarisation and extremism is the name of the current political game in the US, it seems...
Not just the current. It's been a pendulum back and forth for 30 years. From Jimmy Carter it swung wildly to Reagan.

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:10 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:Not healthy. Like Britain America is an adversarial country.
Why do the Dutch have a variety of political parties?

“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:15 pm

Elsewhere, someone told me that Democrats should work with Republicans. Why would the Republicans do anything?

The difference is that Democrats would not ask help from Republicans, because Republicans have already reached their goal: nothing at all will be done. Same as their healthcare goal: do nothing or repeal current plan.

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:22 pm

'Meet the Leader of the Vast Left-Wing Conspiracy'
Almost no one knows who he is, but there may be a spot for Jeff Merkley on the left flank of the 2020 Democratic primary—and he wouldn’t rule out running even if Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren are running.

He’s already beaten Warren to Iowa, and he spent more time in Des Moines this month than Sanders has since last year’s caucuses.

A senator from Oregon for nearly nine years, Merkley is probably best known for being the only colleague of Sanders to endorse the Vermont senator last year. Most people could walk by him on the street, or even on the Senate subway, and not know who he is—a POLITICO/Morning Consult poll this week showed that 73 percent of Americans had never heard his name.

He has no campaign staff, and has raised no money. But he seems to be hoping that the credibility he has with progressive activists and the wild new world of lefty politics will change all that. So he’s starting early, even if the odds don’t look great right now.

He has a certain philosophy of life, Merkley said.

“If I believe that something matters, I’ll throw myself into it, and I’m OK losing. But when you throw yourself in with that attitude, and you’re all about teamwork, sometimes you win,” Merkley told me for the latest episode of POLITICO’s Off Message podcast, recounting a career that’s already taken him through a surprise election as a state representative in Oregon to being picked as speaker of the Statehouse to beating a popular incumbent to get to the Senate in 2008. “I’m willing to take on battles that I feel are important.”

Of course, if he does run, first he’ll have to figure out how to become known as something more than that-guy-you’re-vaguely-aware-of-who-endorsed-Bernie.

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:05 pm

I have a new simplisic view of American politics. This came about because people no longer read books or papers. Their entire grasp of government jobs is what they see: police, fire and road construction plus the occasional war somewhere far away.

They have a personal gut feel about the presidential candidates. Other than that they hate or at least dislike government. They want the government "off my back." No more printed warnings on cigarette packs. Burn what I like, shoot what I like.

The Democrats represent government. They pass all that "government stuff." The Republicans cut back government, like taxes. They would rather have the 1% keep more money than give that money to someone poorer than themself. "The poor should get a job like I have to." Delivering pizzas in a 2003 Honda civic that has a few months of life left.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:28 pm

L'Emmerdeur wrote:'Meet the Leader of the Vast Left-Wing Conspiracy'
Almost no one knows who he is, but there may be a spot for Jeff Merkley on the left flank of the 2020 Democratic primary—and he wouldn’t rule out running even if Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren are running.

He’s already beaten Warren to Iowa, and he spent more time in Des Moines this month than Sanders has since last year’s caucuses.

A senator from Oregon for nearly nine years, Merkley is probably best known for being the only colleague of Sanders to endorse the Vermont senator last year. Most people could walk by him on the street, or even on the Senate subway, and not know who he is—a POLITICO/Morning Consult poll this week showed that 73 percent of Americans had never heard his name.

He has no campaign staff, and has raised no money. But he seems to be hoping that the credibility he has with progressive activists and the wild new world of lefty politics will change all that. So he’s starting early, even if the odds don’t look great right now.

He has a certain philosophy of life, Merkley said.

“If I believe that something matters, I’ll throw myself into it, and I’m OK losing. But when you throw yourself in with that attitude, and you’re all about teamwork, sometimes you win,” Merkley told me for the latest episode of POLITICO’s Off Message podcast, recounting a career that’s already taken him through a surprise election as a state representative in Oregon to being picked as speaker of the Statehouse to beating a popular incumbent to get to the Senate in 2008. “I’m willing to take on battles that I feel are important.”

Of course, if he does run, first he’ll have to figure out how to become known as something more than that-guy-you’re-vaguely-aware-of-who-endorsed-Bernie.
How old is he? It would be good to be able to support someone who's not on death's door.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.