London: Another van attack nr Finsbury Park Mosque

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

London: Another van attack nr Finsbury Park Mosque

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:59 pm

A man has died and eight others have been injured after a van ploughed into a group of people near a north London mosque in an attack police are treating as terrorism.

A 48-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder. Two people hit by the van were said to be “very seriously injured”.

The prime minister, Theresa May, who was woken to be told of the early morning attack in Finsbury Park, said in a statement from Downing Street that the “hatred and evil” of the kind seen in the attack would never succeed.

May said the attack had “once again targeted the ordinary and the innocent going about their daily lives – this time, British Muslims as they left a mosque, having broken their fast and prayed together at this sacred time of year”.

She added: “Today we come together, as we have done before, to condemn this act and to state once again that hatred and evil of this kind will never succeed.”

May said the attack on Muslims was “every bit as insidious and destructive to our values and our way of life” as the recent string of attacks apparently motivated by Islamist extremism, adding: “We will stop at nothing to defeat it.”

It is the fourth terrorist attack to hit the UK in the past three months.

Deputy assistant commissioner Neil Basu, the senior national coordinator for counter-terrorism, said the van hit a crowd of people who had gathered around a man who had collapsed on the pavement.

Basu said it was too early to say whether the man’s death was a direct result of the attack.

“No matter what the motivation proves to be, and we are keeping an open mind, this is being treated as a terrorist attack and the counter-terrorism command is investigating....

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... rth-london
Not wishing to be pedantic, or to belittle the victims or excuse the van driver, but this sounds more like an old-fashion hate-crime than a terrorist attack. I'm sure things will become clearer as more info comes out. In the meantime I await Galaxian's valuable insights (once the YouTube conspiracy factory has churned out it's stuff).
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Re: London: Another van attack nr Finsbury Park Mosque

Post by cronus » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:15 pm

TV News saying it's a Welsh registered van so most likely a hate attack. :tea:
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:16 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:In the meantime I await Galaxian's valuable insights (once the YouTube conspiracy factory has churned out it's stuff).
There is a video of the perpetrator waving his hands to the crowd after having been arrested. Clear proof he is an actor. That's what actors do after their performance. :prof:

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:41 pm

This shit could start to get out of hand.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Post by cronus » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:04 pm

pErvin wrote:This shit could start to get out of hand.

South Wales National Front, International Outreach... :coffee:
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:39 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:

Not wishing to be pedantic, or to belittle the victims or excuse the van driver, but this sounds more like an old-fashion hate-crime than a terrorist attack. I'm sure thins will become clearer as more info comes out. In the meantime I await Galaxian's valuable insights (once the YouTube conspiracy factory has churned out it's stuff).
I think that for 'political' reasons the powers that be felt they had to label it as a terrorist attack ASAP to send the message that we are all victims of terrorism at the hands of 'extremists', and not just Islamists. Trying hard to keep the moderates who care more about stability than establishing global Islam.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:09 pm

And so it begins...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:46 pm

Rum wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:

Not wishing to be pedantic, or to belittle the victims or excuse the van driver, but this sounds more like an old-fashion hate-crime than a terrorist attack. I'm sure things will become clearer as more info comes out. In the meantime I await Galaxian's valuable insights (once the YouTube conspiracy factory has churned out it's stuff).
I think that for 'political' reasons the powers that be felt they had to label it as a terrorist attack ASAP to send the message that we are all victims of terrorism at the hands of 'extremists', and not just Islamists. Trying hard to keep the moderates who care more about stability than establishing global Islam.
Yeah, I take your point. But, and you can call me old fashioned if you like, terrorist usually have a wider social/political agenda whereas this seems to be a disenchanted idiot with poor impulse control and a loathing of Muslims. Not all extreme acts are the acts of extremists, nor does having extreme views make one a terrorist by default. I just think that the 'terror attack' label could be misapplied here - although it may be a technical label which mobilises certain state resources to aid the investigation. That said, I would agree that the bastard who killed MP Jo Cox was both an extremist and a terrorist, so I'm aware that the line between hateful and violent bigot and violent political extremist, the terrorist, is a little fuzzy. Of course, none of this wibbling makes much difference to the victims, their families, or their communities, and who are now probably even more aware that merely being a Muslim marks them out as arbitrary targets for self-justifying violence - just as being not-a-Muslim marks out the rest of us, in the Jihadists' eyes at least.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:57 pm

Finsbury Park mosque attack: suspect named as Darren Osborne, 47-year-old who lives in Cardiff

Labour MP Jo Stevens has issued an appeal for information after the alleged attacker was named as Darren Osborne, a resident of her Cardiff Central constituency.

Stevens said it was “deeply concerning” that Osborne had lived in her constituency and urged users of social media to take care their comments did not prejudice any forthcoming criminal trial.

I am appealing to anyone who may have relevant information about the attack to let the police know immediately.
  • "I am also appealing to everyone who uses social media, to please be aware that prejudicial tweets about the alleged attacker may constitute contempt of court, and could even lead to any prosecution or trial having to be abandoned."
The Metropolitan police commissioner, Cressida Dick, joined the vigil in Finsbury Park this evening.

Following a meeting with the chairman of the mosque, Mohammed Kozbar, she stood with him to observe a short silence. And, as he addressed the large crowd that had gathered, he praised the “great response” from the community.
  • "Yesterday we all experienced a horrific attack on our families, on our freedom, on our dignity. A man, a father of six children, being killed in cold blood and many injured by an extremist, by a terrorist."
He said the attack was one of terror and that it was “similar” to those which have recently happened in Manchester, Westminster and London Bridge.
  • "These people, these extremists, their aim is to divide our communities, is to spread hatred, fear and division among our communities.

"We all have harmony in this area, and these people try to divide us, but we tell them that we will not let you do that."
As Kozbar finished speaking, there were cheers and shouts of Allahu Akbar from the people, with many holding signs which said “united against all terror”.

Other faith leaders from the community also spoke at the vigil, including the Bishop of Stepney the Rt Rev Adrian Newman, who told the crowd “an attack on one faith is an attack on us all”.

Rabbi Herschel Gluck said the incident hurt and was an attack on “every single Muslim in the UK and beyond”. He told the crowd:
  • "But really an attack on the Muslim community is an attack on every single citizen in Great Britain, because we are one nation, under one god, living together, working together, co-operating together in this country."
The prime minister, Theresa May, said the attack on Muslims was “every bit as insidious and destructive to our values and our way of life” as recent terror attacks motivated by Islamist extremism. Later, she attended an interfaith meeting at Finsbury Park mosque and was heckled as she left.
Ongoing coverage: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/liv ... ve-updates

Frank Zappa

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:07 am

Brian Peacock wrote:

Yeah, I take your point. But, and you can call me old fashioned if you like, terrorist usually have a wider social/political agenda whereas this seems to be a disenchanted idiot with poor impulse control and a loathing of Muslims. Not all extreme acts are the acts of extremists, nor does having extreme views make one a terrorist by default. I just think that the 'terror attack' label could be misapplied here - although it may be a technical label which mobilises certain state resources to aid the investigation. That said, I would agree that the bastard who killed MP Jo Cox was both an extremist and a terrorist, so I'm aware that the line between hateful and violent bigot and violent political extremist, the terrorist, is a little fuzzy. Of course, none of this wibbling makes much difference to the victims, their families, or their communities, and who are now probably even more aware that merely being a Muslim marks them out as arbitrary targets for self-justifying violence - just as being not-a-Muslim marks out the rest of us, in the Jihadists' eyes at least.
I certainly agree with this overall, but harking back to points I have made in earlier threads, actions like this could well become more common in Britain (and perhaps Europe) if further Islamic terror attacks occur, and particularly if there is increasing public perception (rightly or wrongly) that governments are essentially impotent to do anything concrete about them.
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

devogue

Post by devogue » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:09 am

People with particular mental health issues have discovered that running people over satisfys their needs and urges. The religious-political backdrop is a convenient trigger for their deep seated issues.

I know it's practically impossible but perhaps media blackouts to prevent continued copycatting of this method of killing should be considered.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:01 am

Or, we could use these impulses to benefit society. For example, we could give out free cars to run into crowds at Justin Bieber concerts. We could auction off cars to run over death row prisoners instead of using expensive drugs.

The possibilities are endless.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

devogue

Post by devogue » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:17 am

laklak wrote:Or, we could use these impulses to benefit society. For example, we could give out free cars to run into crowds at Justin Bieber concerts. We could auction off cars to run over death row prisoners instead of using expensive drugs.

The possibilities are endless.
Indeed.

My personal preference would be monster trucks chasing groups of chained paedos around football stadiums while I scream and boo at the doomed miscreants with the rest of society.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:28 am

We have Simon Cowell to provide the Bread and Circuses these days.

Frank Zappa

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:32 am

Bury Simon up to his neck, get out the riding mower.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.