Eating other ethnicities' foods = cultural appropriation?

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Re: Eating other ethnicities' foods = cultural appropriation

Post by pErvinalia » Tue May 16, 2017 9:35 am

The Persian Empire, and therefore Iranians of today, were the biggest appropriators going around. Where does that fit into the progressive stack?
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Tue May 16, 2017 10:45 am

Arriba la appropriacion cultural... seriously, culture is one thing that can be shared without depriving the sharing party... it's cultural imposition when one party imposes its culture on the other and causes said other to lose its own that's evil.

this coming from a guy whose country adopted couscous as a national dish in replacement of the more traditional beefsteak and chips/fries... not to mention the host of regional specialties.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Tue May 16, 2017 10:47 am

pErvin wrote:The Persian Empire, and therefore Iranians of today, were the biggest appropriators going around. Where does that fit into the progressive stack?
Actually, the others absorbed a lot more from Persian culture than Persians adopted from the Turks and Indians and Arabs (except that fucking writing system, it would be a lot cooler if Persian was still written in cuneiform)
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue May 16, 2017 10:59 am

laklak wrote:Mutton, oats, so...haggis and neeps.

Are there really people like this out there? I've never run into one, but I'd love to, just for the lulz and trolls.
Just go to Scotland.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Alan B

Post by Alan B » Tue May 16, 2017 1:06 pm

I like my Effnik foods. I don't think I'm appropriating anything. I had my first curry in London in the late '50s. Haven't looked back since.
Absolute faith corrupts as absolutely as absolute power - Eric Hoffer.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer proof nor do I have to determine absence of proof because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Tue May 16, 2017 1:10 pm

Isn't all food "ethnic" in some way?

Shouldn't it be offensive to call only some cultures or foods "ethnic" when everyone has some kind of ethnicity?

Curry is not, per se, "ethnic food" -- it's food of particular ethnicities. Fish and chips is ethnic food -- it's ethnically British.

Of course, maybe like how non-whites can't be "racist" it's a "whites can't be ethnic" thing.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Alan B

Post by Alan B » Tue May 16, 2017 1:41 pm

Actually, I couldn't give a damn about the ethnicity of the food I eat - if I like it, well, I like it. If I don't, well, I don't.

"Cultural appropriation" is a nonsense term as far as I'm concerned.
Absolute faith corrupts as absolutely as absolute power - Eric Hoffer.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer proof nor do I have to determine absence of proof because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Tue May 16, 2017 2:04 pm

Forty Two wrote: Of course, maybe like how non-whites can't be "racist" it's a "whites can't be ethnic" thing.
Gosh, you are slow.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon May 22, 2017 2:51 pm

I had some fish tacos this weekend - Mahi Mahi. I ordered off a menu that had versions of Mexican, Korean, Chinese and Indian foods, all listed together. It was some sort of "fusion" establishment. I felt so privileged, being able to appropriate any food I wanted.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Tue May 23, 2017 10:34 am

I've never had a fish taco. It sounds yummy. I can probably get one here at some hipster establishment for $30 a taco.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue May 23, 2017 3:09 pm

https://oberlinreview.org/9055/news/cds ... dents-say/

Diep Nguyen, a College first-year from Vietnam, jumped with excitement at the sight of Vietnamese food on Stevenson Dining Hall’s menu at Orientation this year. Craving Vietnamese comfort food, Nguyen rushed to the food station with high hopes. What she got, however, was a total disappointment.
Okay.....so far it sounds like she's being treated equally with every other student on campus....as I recall from university days, the campus dining facilities were a total disappointment to everyone.
The traditional Banh Mi Vietnamese sandwich that Stevenson Dining Hall promised turned out to be a cheap imitation of the East Asian dish. Instead of a crispy baguette with grilled pork, pate, pickled vegetables and fresh herbs, the sandwich used ciabatta bread, pulled pork and coleslaw.
Oh, no! You mean, the campus dining facility did not prepare your meal with fresh herbs and pickled vegetables, and they made a rough approximation using what ingredients they had? Jeez...us white people get gourmet food every time. When they say Cuban sandwich, I take a bite and I'm immediately transported to Havana. When they serve Weiner Schnitzel, the Germans think it's Octoberfest.
“It was ridiculous,” Nguyen said. “How could they just throw out something completely different and label it as another country’s traditional food?”
Uh...because that's what a cafeteria does. It throws together food which it can sell as cheaply as possible.
Prudence Hiu-Ying, a College sophomore from China, cited an instance when Stevenson was serving General Tso’s chicken, but the product did not resemble the popular Chinese dish. Instead of deep-fried chicken with ginger-garlic soy sauce, the chicken was steamed with a substitute sauce, which Hiu-Ying described as “so weird that I didn’t even try.”
General Tso's chicken is not a fucking "traditional Chinese dish." It's modern dish invented in the 1950s in Taiwan, and is not a well-known, popular or traditional dish in mainland China, after the inventor moved to the US and introduced the dish in the US. It was introduced to mainland China after it became popular elsewhere. It's the American version that is deep fried. The version served in Taipei Taiwan is a bit different and is not deep fried. https://www.quora.com/Chinese-Food-What ... os-chicken

Saying it's not being served right is like complaining about a hamburger because it's served on a roll instead of two slices of toasted white bread (it's original formation).
The sushi is anything but authentic for Tomoyo Joshi, a College junior from Japan, who said that the undercooked rice and lack of fresh fish is disrespectful. She added that in Japan, sushi is regarded so highly that people sometimes take years of apprenticeship before learning how to appropriately serve it.
And, more horseshit - this person complains about "undercooked rice" - oh, sorry, it wasn't cooked to your liking. Well, sometimes cafeterias don't cook stuff so well. It may be overcooked, it may be undercooked. The sushi isn't as good as you like? Don't eat it. But, don't expect a cafeteria to hire a master sushi chef to make your sushi. That's like complaining about supermarket sushi, because it's not as good as the sushi from a good sushi restaurant.

And, for fuck's sake, sushi first came to Japan from other places in southeast Asia, so they appropriated the fuck out of it to begin with, and modern sushi is a fast food, a street food, that Japanese people eat on the go. It's not some sacred delicacy.

Cafeterias don't cook Spanish Rice properly, and I've seen them try to serve Jambalaya, and it sucks. Even their cheeseburgers tend to be awful. And, don't get me started on their "southern barbecue" -- it's neither southern, nor barbecue, half the time.

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Tue May 23, 2017 3:17 pm

No relevant mainstream groups take the idea of cultural appropriation seriously...

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue May 23, 2017 3:22 pm

NineBerry wrote:No relevant mainstream groups take the idea of cultural appropriation seriously...
Here in the states, that's not exactly accurate....

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Tue May 23, 2017 3:24 pm

Yes, it is.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue May 23, 2017 3:37 pm

No, it isn't. Universities take it seriously, as do many prominent feminists and other social justice activists. Unless you're suggesting these are not relevant mainstream folks...