Canadians, will you take the illegal immigrants?

Should Canada Accept Illegal Immigrants

No, immigrants should come to Canada lawfully, in compliance with Canadian law;
33%
Yes, if illegal immigrants enter Canada, they should not be deported;
50%
Tacos.
17%

Total votes: 6

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Re: Canadians, will you take the illegal immigrants?

Post by Hermit » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:05 pm

Forty Two wrote:Well, the people that call him racist are not going by the literal verbiage he uses...
I did. To wit:

Jack: If you invoke his race as a reason why he can't do his job...
Donald: (cuts in) I think that's why he's doing it. I think that's why he's doing it.
Forty Two wrote:...he does not literally call Mexicans rapists as a people.
Agreed. He called those Mexicans "they send" rapists, which definitely is not the same as calling Mexicans a rapist race.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Tyrannical

Post by Tyrannical » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:27 pm

Hermit wrote:
Forty Two wrote:Do we have any evidence that Trump thinks Mexican is race?
Yes.
Mexicans are a collection of pre-Columbian native races with varying degrees of European (Spanish) influence.
A rational skeptic should be able to discuss and debate anything, no matter how much they may personally disagree with that point of view. Discussing a subject is not agreeing with it, but understanding it.

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:00 am

Tyrannical wrote:
Hermit wrote:
Forty Two wrote:Do we have any evidence that Trump thinks Mexican is race?
Yes.
Mexicans are a collection of pre-Columbian native races with varying degrees of European (Spanish) influence.
Yes. And...

P.S.: lol
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:37 pm

Hermit wrote:
Forty Two wrote:Well, the people that call him racist are not going by the literal verbiage he uses...
I did. To wit:

Donald: (cuts in) I think that's why he's doing it. I think that's why he's doing it.
I already went through that -- in context, it's not Trump using the verbiage "race" it's the interviewer, Tapper. Trump answered many questions specifying that it was the judge's Mexican heritage and his affiliation with the La Raza lawyers group that was the issue. That's why he's doing it. You're cherry picking one question and answer. Trump himself never uses the term "race." But Tapper kept at it. If that's the best evidence you have, then it's pretty weak in terms of showing that Trump thinks people of Mexican nationality are a race.
Hermit wrote:
Forty Two wrote:...he does not literally call Mexicans rapists as a people.
Agreed. He called those Mexicans "they send" rapists, which definitely is not the same as calling Mexicans a rapist race.
Definitely not the same. He also didn't call all of the Mexicans sent "rapists." He said "they're sending rapists" along with other types of people they are sending. It is absolutely clear from what he's saying that he is alleging that Mexico is sending the bad ones to get rid of them. Trump has made iterations of this statement many times.

There's plenty to criticize about Trump. What's weird is that some folks are desperate to pigeonhole him into this Nazi or fascist category, that they are just certain that he's an out-and-out racist. A guy who was raised liberal, came of age in the 1960s, in liberal New York, which was even then very diverse and cosmopolitan, and who has an unblemished hiring practice in his companies, is supposedly now a card carrying Neonazi or KKK sympathizer. Come on, guys...you can do better than that.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:40 am

:roll: A guy who was raised liberal, came of age in the 1960's, in liberal New York, which was even then very diverse and cosmopolitan... and is demonstrably a misogynist.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:36 am

Forty Two wrote:
Hermit wrote:
I did. To wit:

I already went through that...
Indeed. Explaining that Trump does not mean what he said keeps a lot of people busy. You are one of them.

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:40 pm

Well, from my perspective, I explained that he did not say what folks here said he said - that the characterization of his words goes too far.

I will admit that he has a lack of tact, and he speaks very roughly. When listening to Trump, you have to realize he speaks from his gut, and he speaks in a way a person speaks who is not used to having to carefully calculate his words. It's part of what I find appealing about him (although a lot about him is not appealing too). I like that he is not a politician He should be held to his words. However, Donald Trump is not new to me, as I grew up around New York City, and he was in the public eye as far back as my middle school years, in the early 1980s. Everyone knew Donald Trump. He said a ton of things in public. He had divorces and scandals, etc., business deals, successes and failures. The characterization of him in 2016 was not the person I was aware of for 30 years. And some of the allegations have been bizarre - water sports in hotel rooms, pubic groping of women in full first class cabins with no repercussions... that kind of thing. Weird.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Tyrannical

Post by Tyrannical » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:13 pm

Lol, I called all my senators and Congressmans office today.
I don't always understand or agree with trump, but please support him. I think he knows what he's doing lol
A rational skeptic should be able to discuss and debate anything, no matter how much they may personally disagree with that point of view. Discussing a subject is not agreeing with it, but understanding it.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:17 pm

He knows what he s doing, like the Russian admiral did in 1905 when he engaged his fleet in the Tsushima straits
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:53 pm

Forty Two wrote:When listening to Trump, you have to realize he speaks from his gut, and he speaks in a way a person speaks who is not used to having to carefully calculate his words.
I do realise all that, and every time I hear or read his words I think of his gut as wine. Wine, as, you know, in vinum veritas. By not carefully calculating his words Trump does say exactly what he means, brother. Believe me. It's true. There is nobody more honest than Trump when he speaks off the cuff.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:33 am

pErvin, this is a warning that the following post: http://www.rationalia.com/forum/viewtop ... 7#p1700387
contains an attack on a fellow member; a repetition may require a suspension.
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:36 am

I was speaking about the specific gravity of his body. Us humans are quite dense you know?
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:39 am

And that would of course be believed by millions... ;)
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:54 pm

I'll take q couple. I need a decent gardener and a chamber maid. Wonder if Ivana has a sister?
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

DaveDodo007
About me: When ever I behave as a man I am called sexist, It seems being a male is now illegal and nobody sent me the memo. Good job as I would have told them to fuck off.

Post by DaveDodo007 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:55 am

Canada has already made Islamophobia illegal, it is lost and should never be taken seriously again. Pathetic loser twat of a country.
We should be MOST skeptical of ideas we like because we are sufficiently skeptical of ideas that we don't like. Penn Jillette.