Exercise and nutrition

Give us a seminar, lecture or lesson on what your 'thing' is. Now with our exclusive ASK-A-NERD!!!

Do you believe that your weight can be managed by controlling your caloric intake?

Yes
57%
No
14%
Cheese
29%

Total votes: 7

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Exercise and nutrition

Post by Cunt » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:18 am

I have recently taken up a new hobby - exercise.

For about forty years, I ignored the need, celebrating my enjoyment of NOT moving, eating to excess and laughing at those who wasted their time that way.

About a year ago, I changed it. First with a bit of deliberate walking, then quickly learned my TDEE, and ate consistently below it.

Much has changed about me since. I have some examples. Of course as soon as one eats below their TDEE, their weight is reduced. That's pretty plain to anyone who can add and doesn't ignore facts.

The unexpected changes were a total lack of fear in situations where I felt significant fear in the past. A different outlook to how hard it is to lose weight (or to gain it).

With regards to the fear, I used to be afraid on the ice roads, to the point where I was very uncomfortable. Now, I found myself without that fear during a run across Yellowknife Bay. Even when I realized this during my run, and tried to evoke the old fear, it was not present. Remarkable, really. I don't know how to quantify it, but holf fuck it is different.

With regards to the weight loss thing, I honestly think it is harder work getting, or staying overweight, than it is to reduce weight. Of course, people have trouble 'from the neck up', as did I. What I am talking about is the effort/work involved in either enterprise.

I will start a seperate thread for my favourite exercise, and hope some can help me make them more effective, or that I can help someone else, but I wanted to start a thread generally about exercise and nutrition because they have become quite an interest.

If anyone here thinks they can't lose weight, or has trouble accepting the 'calories in/calories out' science, I doubt I can help. If, however, you do understand that the problems are 'neck up' (willpower, committment etc.), then I really think I can. It may take some difficult steps, but part of my new passion is making an effort to help.

My nutrition plan is still based on my TDEE, but with very few restrictions. Diets like paleo, low-carb and gluten-free are, in my opinion, cute next to the overriding factor of total calories consumed. There are indeed places for them, but they don't have nearly the positive effect that counting calories does.

So who is interested? Are there any other exercise and nutrition newbies here?
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Re: Exercise and nutrition

Post by Rum » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:47 am

I took to going to the gym in January. I did it mostly because I had read advice that it is good for depression.

Well I can tell you it is fabulous for depression. It has had a very marked impact on my mood (which is always low in the Winter months).

I am somewhat overweight but not hugely, so I'm not focusing on that so much as just getting the old heart pumping, so I do about 45 minutes pedalling and 15 minutes on a stepper thing - a bit like a miniature escalator. Sometims I mix in a few weights as well. I do this four or five times a week.

Sadly I have had a virus thingy for the last week and have not been to the gym as a result. I have really noticed the difference.

I highly recommend it. It is one of those things people always say - regulat excercice bla bla bla - and most of us just zone out - me included. But it is one of the best things I have done for myself almost ever. Hopefully back to it next week.

Tyrannical

Post by Tyrannical » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:46 am

I use diet tonic water for my gin and tonics.......
A rational skeptic should be able to discuss and debate anything, no matter how much they may personally disagree with that point of view. Discussing a subject is not agreeing with it, but understanding it.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:01 am

I walk, on occasions...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:24 am

We are going to have a whole generation of disabled due to gym exercise. Most over do it and never think about the future. You cant just stop.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:10 pm

Rum wrote:I took to going to the gym in January. I did it mostly because I had read advice that it is good for depression.

Well I can tell you it is fabulous for depression. It has had a very marked impact on my mood (which is always low in the Winter months).

I am somewhat overweight but not hugely, so I'm not focusing on that so much as just getting the old heart pumping, so I do about 45 minutes pedalling and 15 minutes on a stepper thing - a bit like a miniature escalator. Sometims I mix in a few weights as well. I do this four or five times a week.

Sadly I have had a virus thingy for the last week and have not been to the gym as a result. I have really noticed the difference.

I highly recommend it. It is one of those things people always say - regulat excercice bla bla bla - and most of us just zone out - me included. But it is one of the best things I have done for myself almost ever. Hopefully back to it next week.
From what I have read, and experienced, it's not simply exercise, but cardio which improves the symptoms of depression.

Coincidentally, if I were to suggest exercise to someone I love (and I find it easy to love you, Rum) I would say to prioritize in this order:
Cardio - daily or aim for it. Good cardio means about half hour with your heart rate between 60 and 80% of your max.
Core - delicious, injury-preventing core...mmmmmm.
Resistance training of some sort. As you likely know, old folks like you (and like I hope to be) lose muscle mass pretty predictably without it.

All with a main goal of injury prevention. Don't get injured in training - you are there to get fit!
Scot Dutchy wrote:We are going to have a whole generation of disabled due to gym exercise. Most over do it and never think about the future. You cant just stop.
You might be joking, but that is very true. If more people made injury prevention in the gym a priority, I would be a happier man.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

rainbow wrote:
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:29 pm

Yep - my cousin, who is my age give or take a few months. He was a PE teacher until he retired at 60. He played Rugby until he was in his early 40s, used to run every day and swim several times a week. He was fit as a fiddle. At 65 (this month I think) he has had one hip replacement and two knee operations. The lesson is watch out for too much impact exercise I guess.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:36 pm

When I began running, I found a running program written by, and for, an overweight senior. It worked awesome, as I finished a half-marathon (the goal of the training) within 27 seconds of my planned time.

With no pace bunnies, and few kilometer markers.

Kind of proud of that. :)

I don't run every day, but to get cardio on non-running days, I pitch the incline on the treadmill as high as it will go, and walk. It's getting my heart rate where i want it, with far fewer impacts per hour.

Also, I am told fapping can be 'good cardio'. I am not able to maintain the needed heart rate without blistering though...as I said. It's all about injury prevention.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:01 pm

Who thinks diet cannot manage weight?
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:15 pm

I played rugby on and off for 25 years while rock climbing and hill walking. Buggered my back, had my teeth kicked out (gum shields did not exist back then), got an artificial knee and turned into a tinnitus sufferer.

Yep sport is really healthy.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:40 pm

I think sport can be healthy, but most people don't aim to do it that way. I am quite careful about competing because, with my lack of experience, I expect that I would drive myself into injury.

The one time I did compete (the half-marathon), I was very tempted to exceed the speed of my plan. Honestly, I think I could have logged a faster time, but injury prevention, and injury resistance is why I exercise. Not to log a fast time. I was comfortably ahead of the average runner, so I'm happy enough with that.

Sport can suck for hurting people. I kind of wish it wasn't such a big dick-waving contest. On the other hand, if the dick-wavers didn't have that, they would likely go waving them around in another venue.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:42 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:We are going to have a whole generation of disabled due to gym exercise. Most over do it and never think about the future. You cant just stop.
I thought about this, and we already have a whole generation of disabled due to obesity.

Which is worse? Being so overweight you can't function, for years? Or an occasional exercise injury?
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote: