Bernie Sanders

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Re: Bernie Sanders

Post by Animavore » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:34 pm

Has a superdelegate ever gone against the public vote?
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:51 pm

well, a one trick pony is no fun... but he's also very good at dissing hilly, a shame much of his work is going to be taken up again by the GOP supporters if she gets the nod... or maybe they'll do a better job at disinterring her skeletons.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:00 pm

Hermit wrote:
Svartalf wrote:...if he manages to get the dem investiture, which can still happen...
Can not. The primaries are a farce. Clinton has almost all of the superdelegates, who make up about one fifth of all delegates on her side.
But there are only about 712 superdelegates out of about 4750 actual delegates. Superdelegates have never been the determining factor in the Democratic primaries.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:04 pm

Animavore wrote:Has a superdelegate ever gone against the public vote?
Yes, and they are not bound by the public vote. That's how Hillary had some superdelagates locked up before the vote in NH and Iowa. These are Senators, Representatives, and Democratic Party leaders that have openly declared who they are supporting.

But they are not as big a deal as folks are making it out to be. There are only about 712 of them, and there are something like 4750 total delegates.Thus, over 4000 delegates are bound by the vote they cast. Unless this winds up being a record-setting close election, either Hill or Bern will win with or without the superdelegates.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:24 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Yes, and they are not bound by the public vote. That's how Hillary had some superdelagates locked up before the vote in NH and Iowa. These are Senators, Representatives, and Democratic Party leaders that have openly declared who they are supporting.

But they are not as big a deal as folks are making it out to be. There are only about 712 of them, and there are something like 4750 total delegates.Thus, over 4000 delegates are bound by the vote they cast. Unless this winds up being a record-setting close election, either Hill or Bern will win with or without the superdelegates.
Well, from everything I've heard, it is very close between Sanders and Clinton, so they may well play a part...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:00 am

Well, so far 451 of the 747 superdelegates have sided with Clinton and 19 with Sanders, while they have gained 51 ordinary delegates each... I don't know if the superdelegates have ever been the decisive factor getting a candidate nominated even though that candidate attracted viewer votes by the mug punter than another, but the potential is definitely there. They were specifically introduced to the Democrat Party's nomination process in 1984 to diminish the influence of ordinary voters and enhance that of the party machinery instead. My guess is that Clinton will finish up with a comfortable majority in terms of the popular vote in addition to a massive majority of superdelegates, but even if Sanders attracts more votes by the public his nomination will by no means be guaranteed.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:56 pm