GamerGate: 'Press must tackle misogyny,' says developer

For discussion of video games, and their theory and practice, as well as the social impact of such.
cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Post by cronus » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:56 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-29616197

More video game news sites must place a spotlight on the misogynistic abuse that could drive women from the industry, a developer has demanded.

Brianna Wu, who said she faced death threats after speaking out, said the sites could help change the industry's culture.

A debate is raging in the sector about claims of corrupt relationships between some developers and reviewers.

But it has also regularly veered into the issues of feminism and misogyny.

"Every woman I know is terrified that what happened to me will happen to them next. And this is a true campaign of terror on women in the field," she told BBC News.

Ms Wu fled her home on Friday 10 October after graphic sexual threats were made against her.

The next day, she shared screenshots of tweets from one user who had threatened to murder her and her family, and had posted her home address to prove they knew where she lived.

The abuse came after she shared pictures on Twitter mocking players with sexist attitudes, who had used the Twitter hashtag GamerGate.

(continued)
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Re: GamerGate: 'Press must tackle misogyny,' says developer

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:44 am

It's about the only sexual activity some of these sorry geeks will ever get.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

cronus
Black Market Analyst

Post by cronus » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:48 pm

rEvolutionist wrote:It's about the only sexual activity some of these sorry geeks will ever get.
First person shooters ask dangerous questions and not only of the players. :nono:

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:09 pm

It looks like there is an agenda-driven movement among some in the games press. This seems to have started in August of 2014, when about 10 or so articles appeared simultaneously in the games press declaring gamers dead and descrying video gamer culture. It was discovered that some games journalists had been colluding behind the scenes to start this movement. Also, there were examples of video games journalists with conflicts of interest -- like the video game journalist who was sleeping with developer Zoe Quinn while he was reviewing her games.

There is a radical feminist movement to attack "gamers" because it was seen as a mostly male hobby.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

cronus
Black Market Analyst

Post by cronus » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:09 pm

Appears they have a two prong approach to cut the knackers of boys toys via gaming and science. They are becoming smart or there is a man in charge disguised as a woman? :nono:

cronus
Black Market Analyst

Post by cronus » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:09 pm

Appears they have a two prong approach to cut the knackers of boys toys via gaming and science. They are becoming smart or there is a man in charge disguised as a woman? :nono:

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:10 pm

“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:12 pm

It's hard to get the tits to stick to them.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:18 pm

laklak wrote:It's hard to get the tits to stick to them.
That's not the problem.

The problem is that snow women tend to be rather frigid.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:05 am

Phwoar!!
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:47 pm