Rationalskepticism,lol part III.

A forum to talk about other sites and things you've found in the jungle that is the internet.

Please take a moment to read the rationalia guidelines: http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3449
JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Re: Rationalskepticism,lol part III.

Post by JimC » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:19 am

Here's a new username for you - Aussie Redsox...

:hehe:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:22 am

I'll hold a poll for the name of my next sock.. :)
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Surendra Darathy
About me: I am only human. Keep in mind, I am Russian. And is no part of speech in Russian equivalent to definite article in English. Bad enough is no present tense of verb "to be".

Post by Surendra Darathy » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:27 am

rEvolutionist wrote:They're so paranoid over there, I'd say they've taken browser and OS info and same ISP and probably a call on the content of the posts being sock/troll-like, and made a call. From what I've learnt in the past, I don't think they are that concerned with being right. They are more concerned with paranoia about socks under the bed.
It's not paranoid if the call turns out to be right. You'd perhaps have more success if you conceived of sock puppetry as something besides a means of trying to get away with spamming your message that you think it's a joke over there.
I'll get you, my pretty, and your little God, too!

Ayaan
Queen of the Infidels
About me: AKA: Sciwoman
Location: Married to Gawdzilla and living in Missouri. What the hell have I gotten myself into?

Post by Ayaan » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:35 am

As a long time forum admin, all I will say is that we have ways of discovering sock puppets. :levi:
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." ♥ Robert A. Heinlein
“Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself; (I am large, I contain multitudes.)”-Walt Whitman from Song of Myself, Leaves of Grass
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.~Ripley
The Internet: The Big Book of Everything ~ Gawdzilla Sama

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:09 am

Surendra Darathy wrote:
rEvolutionist wrote:They're so paranoid over there, I'd say they've taken browser and OS info and same ISP and probably a call on the content of the posts being sock/troll-like, and made a call. From what I've learnt in the past, I don't think they are that concerned with being right. They are more concerned with paranoia about socks under the bed.
It's not paranoid if the call turns out to be right.
Someone of your obvious engineering qualifications would surely understand the concept of "false positives". I can explain it to you if you are struggling.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:14 am

Ayaan wrote:As a long time forum admin, all I will say is that we have ways of discovering sock puppets. :levi:
Haha, yes, I was a forum admin too. And IT educated as well. There's only so much you can do at the far end of a network connection. Just thinking about this some more while taking my arvo beach walk, I wonder if there's a way to get general device info (not MAC address, but more like brand and type of device). Even though my device is full Windows OS, it's a tablet, so perhaps MS send that info off with http requests. It's not a common tablet, I imagine, so that with the other stuff might have been enough for them to feel sure enough. Either that, or they just took a guess and got it right. Expanding on my last post to surrender monkey, we don't hear about the false positives. Those people just disappear without a whimper.

Fallible
About me: pronoun; the objective case of I, used as a direct or indirect object.

Post by Fallible » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:37 am

If you're bored, you could always devote your time to working out the possible numbers by trawling through the members list and looking at banned members, then ruling out the obvious socks. :ab:
Don't be afraid of what they'll say.
Who cares what cowards think anyway?
They will understand one day,
One day.
- Yann Tiersen

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:43 am

I dunno what that means. And if I did, I probably wouldn't do it either. Sounds boring.. :hehe:

Fallible
About me: pronoun; the objective case of I, used as a direct or indirect object.

Post by Fallible » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:51 am

There's a member list, saying which are banned. You could identify them, take out the people you know weren't socks, eg. your original account, Tyrannical, Seth, all that lot. Those left would be either spammers or socks. Then you could remove those who you know were socks, like epete and Seth's sock, and those whose posting history shows only spamming, and you would be starting to get towards identifying false positives...OK yes, I possibly have aspergers. :oops:
Don't be afraid of what they'll say.
Who cares what cowards think anyway?
They will understand one day,
One day.
- Yann Tiersen

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:59 am

Yeah, fuck that.

tattuchu
a dickload of cocks
About me: I'm having trouble with the trolley.

Post by tattuchu » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:25 pm

rEvolutionist wrote:Yeah, fuck that.
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
People think "queue" is just "q" followed by 4 silent letters.

But those letters are not silent.

They're just waiting their turn.

Surendra Darathy
About me: I am only human. Keep in mind, I am Russian. And is no part of speech in Russian equivalent to definite article in English. Bad enough is no present tense of verb "to be".

Post by Surendra Darathy » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:49 pm

rEvolutionist wrote: Someone of your obvious engineering qualifications would surely understand the concept of "false positives". I can explain it to you if you are struggling.
Sure, explain away. Someone of such obvious skill in engineering your recent sock puppets will have much to say about the incidence of false positives in RatSkep's list of banned members.
I'll get you, my pretty, and your little God, too!

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:07 pm

Surendra Darathy wrote:
rEvolutionist wrote:Someone of your obvious engineering qualifications would surely understand the concept of "false positives". I can explain it to you if you are struggling.
Sure, explain away. Someone of such obvious skill in engineering your recent sock puppets will have much to say about the incidence of false positives in RatSkep's list of banned members.
Leave rEv alone, Pense. You are just a blow-in from ratskep while he is, err, never mind.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:52 pm

This thread makes me want a ratskep sock of my own, and I'm not even banned. rEv makes them sound like so much fun!
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:35 pm

They are! Let's ALL sock ratskep!! :fall: