Theoretical Ebola spread based on 1.86 infection rate

MrJonno

Re: Theoretical Ebola spread based on 1.86 infection rate

Post by MrJonno » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:28 pm

More useful to quarantine children who don't take the MMR vaccine (which SD supports children not taking it). Measles etc is a far greater threat to public health in the Western world than Ebola is
When only criminals carry guns the police know exactly who to shoot!

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:49 pm

There y'all go again, muddying the waters with sciency stuff.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

MrJonno

Post by MrJonno » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:51 pm

laklak wrote:There y'all go again, muddying the waters with sciency stuff.

Nah just don't like children, I would quarantine the lot of them vaccinated or not
When only criminals carry guns the police know exactly who to shoot!

Strontium Dog
About me: Navy Seals are not seals

Post by Strontium Dog » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:20 pm

MrJonno wrote:More useful to quarantine children who don't take the MMR vaccine (which SD supports children not taking it). Measles etc is a far greater threat to public health in the Western world than Ebola is
I don't support people not getting vaccinated. There is a huge difference between supporting something and supporting a person's right to do something. Please don't misrepresent me, thanks.
100% verifiable facts or your money back. Anti-fascist. Enemy of woo - theistic or otherwise. Cloth is not an antiviral. Imagination and fantasy is no substitute for tangible reality. Wishing doesn't make it real.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Barry Goldwater

Babel

Post by Babel » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:32 pm

I think vaccines work best if as many members of the target population has been treated. Without that the benefit of vaccinating is reduced.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:34 pm

MrJonno wrote:
laklak wrote:There y'all go again, muddying the waters with sciency stuff.

Nah just don't like children, I would quarantine the lot of them vaccinated or not
Great minds think alike. Compulsory government boarding schools, preferably on an island accessible only by boat, surrounded by sharks. Alcatraz could be the template.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Post by cronus » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:44 am

http://www.dailytech.com/Second+ZMappTr ... e36429.htm

Second Zmapp Patient Dies

Amid efficacy questions, a Japanese antiviral drug is also being evaluated to combat the deadly disease

The World Health Organization (WHO), the health department of the United Nations (UN), revealed on Friday that the Ebola virus (EBOV) epidemic that's gripped central Africa has now claimed over 1,400 lives. Adding to the bad news, supplies of the experimental drug ZMapp have reportedly been exhausted and a recent death of a ZMapp-treated doctor is increasing questions of the drug's efficacy, as health workers in Africa desperately search for a way to treat -- or at least stop the spread of -- the deadly virus.

(continued)
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

Ayaan
Queen of the Infidels
About me: AKA: Sciwoman
Location: Married to Gawdzilla and living in Missouri. What the hell have I gotten myself into?

Post by Ayaan » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:25 am

Scumple wrote:http://www.dailytech.com/Second+ZMappTr ... e36429.htm

Second Zmapp Patient Dies

Amid efficacy questions, a Japanese antiviral drug is also being evaluated to combat the deadly disease

The World Health Organization (WHO), the health department of the United Nations (UN), revealed on Friday that the Ebola virus (EBOV) epidemic that's gripped central Africa has now claimed over 1,400 lives. Adding to the bad news, supplies of the experimental drug ZMapp have reportedly been exhausted and a recent death of a ZMapp-treated doctor is increasing questions of the drug's efficacy, as health workers in Africa desperately search for a way to treat -- or at least stop the spread of -- the deadly virus.

(continued)
I didn't see anything in the article about factors that could have affected the outcome other than age. Age can play a part, but general overall health, how long the patient had been infected, and just general human variation can also help determine outcome. A drug that works well for one patient may not work so well (or at all) in a patient who outwardly seems to be very similar.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." ♥ Robert A. Heinlein
“Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself; (I am large, I contain multitudes.)”-Walt Whitman from Song of Myself, Leaves of Grass
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.~Ripley
The Internet: The Big Book of Everything ~ Gawdzilla Sama

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Post by cronus » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:21 am

I'd like to know more about the scaling economics of production for this 'miracle' drug, even if it is effective to some extent, since that will determine price and availability as the global pandemic spreads outwards on a cough and splutter.
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

Ayaan
Queen of the Infidels
About me: AKA: Sciwoman
Location: Married to Gawdzilla and living in Missouri. What the hell have I gotten myself into?

Post by Ayaan » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:37 pm

Well, biologics, a fairly new class of drugs to treat autoimmune diseases, can cost between $2000 and $4000 a month (US). The new Hepatitis C drug is $84,000 for a full course of treatment. I'm sure it will not be cheap, but if they overprice it, governments might feel obliged to step in and set prices for them.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." ♥ Robert A. Heinlein
“Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself; (I am large, I contain multitudes.)”-Walt Whitman from Song of Myself, Leaves of Grass
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.~Ripley
The Internet: The Big Book of Everything ~ Gawdzilla Sama