Holy Crap!
cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

The stigma of being an atheist in the US

Post by cronus » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:27 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-28616115

Atheists in the US are rallying together, launching a new TV programme and providing support for those who go public with their beliefs.

"Sometimes things need to be said, and fights need to be fought even if they are unpopular. To the closeted atheists, you are not alone, and you deserve equality."

So goes the rousing speech from the American Atheists president, David Silverman, in the opening moments of the first US television broadcaster dedicated to those who do not believe in God, Atheist TV.

A series of testimonies from prominent atheists then follows.

"It's one of the best decisions I've ever made in my life and I completely advocate people 'coming out'," says Mark Hatcher, from Black Atheists of America.

"Coming out" is how many atheists in the USA describe what remains, for many, a very difficult admission to make publicly.

At one of the biggest gatherings of atheist students in the country, in Columbus, Ohio, Jamila Bey from the Secular Student Alliance said there were many attendees who were nervous about being interviewed and had indicated so by what they were wearing around their neck.

"Red lanyards mean 'You may not talk to me'," says Bey. "A number of the students we have aren't 'out'. Their parents may not know that they are atheist or questioning their religion."

She said many were worried about being ostracised or were even scared of violence if they revealed they did not believe in God.

(continued)
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Re: The stigma of being an atheist in the US

Post by JimC » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:44 am

Stone them!
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:08 am

With Hemp!
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:35 am

A hempen rope!
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:45 am

Scumple wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-28616115

Atheists in the US are rallying together, launching a new TV programme and providing support for those who go public with their beliefs.

"Sometimes things need to be said, and fights need to be fought even if they are unpopular. To the closeted atheists, you are not alone, and you deserve equality."

So goes the rousing speech from the American Atheists president, David Silverman, in the opening moments of the first US television broadcaster dedicated to those who do not believe in God, Atheist TV.

"It's one of the best decisions I've ever made in my life and I completely advocate people 'coming out'," says Mark Hatcher, from Black Atheists of America.

"Coming out" is how many atheists in the USA describe what remains, for many, a very difficult admission to make publicly.

At one of the biggest gatherings of atheist students in the country, in Columbus, Ohio, Jamila Bey from the Secular Student Alliance said there were many attendees who were nervous about being interviewed and had indicated so by what they were wearing around their neck.

"Red lanyards mean 'You may not talk to me'," says Bey. "A number of the students we have aren't 'out'. Their parents may not know that they are atheist or questioning their religion."

She said many were worried about being ostracised or were even scared of violence if they revealed they did not believe in God.

(continued)
Incredible in an allegedly modern liberal society.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

cronus
Black Market Analyst

Post by cronus » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:03 am

Where there is hope is that England/UK share similar values and the same language whereas religion is on the hop here rather than atheism. And even fifty years ago we were a fairly religious country. Showing it is not a issue intrinsic to culture, that it can be overcome over two or three generations....without recourse to violence. :read:

Ayaan
Queen of the Infidels
About me: AKA: Sciwoman
Location: Married to Gawdzilla and living in Missouri. What the hell have I gotten myself into?

Post by Ayaan » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:38 am

rEvolutionist wrote:
Scumple wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-28616115

(continued)
Incredible in an allegedly modern liberal society.
At the old RDF, the subject of whether or not to tell one's parents came up several times. It was generally advised not to say anything if you were still dependent on your parents. There are too many stories about kids being thrown out of the house or shipped off to some "Christian boot camp" to "exorcise the atheism."

It's been over a decade, but I had my own problems with being shunned. having my tires slashed, and my cats killed after being seen reading a book about atheism while living in a small town in Mississippi. No one bothered to ask me what my personal thoughts were. Things were a bit better when I lived in New Mexico, but you were still more accepted if you professed believe in some sort of religion, even if it wasn't christian.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." ♥ Robert A. Heinlein
“Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself; (I am large, I contain multitudes.)”-Walt Whitman from Song of Myself, Leaves of Grass
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.~Ripley
The Internet: The Big Book of Everything ~ Gawdzilla Sama

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:42 am

I don't know if wicca is accepted as "having a religion", but try declaring your religion to be satanism... I bet even muslims have better acceptance than that.

cronus
Black Market Analyst

Post by cronus » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:46 am

The only two really rational positions are agnosticism and nihilism. Not sure I'd get on with a convinced atheist for long without provoking argument concerning their position. How do they know this isn't a universe with a God in it? Have they looked everywhere? or have they spent their limited numbered days checking out one planet and the fleeting light that lands on it? But that is discourse with words not sticks and stones and social/economic pressure. A mature people can talk it through. :tup:

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:18 am

Maybe it's the baby-eating thing?
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:26 am

Baby eating is uncivilized, I prefer a nice beefsteak.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:03 am

Scumple wrote:The only two really rational positions are agnosticism and nihilism. Not sure I'd get on with a convinced atheist for long without provoking argument concerning their position. How do they know this isn't a universe with a God in it? Have they looked everywhere? or have they spent their limited numbered days checking out one planet and the fleeting light that lands on it? But that is discourse with words not sticks and stones and social/economic pressure. A mature people can talk it through. :tup:
I don't think atheism means what you think it means.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:07 am

Stop the trolling, that debate, we've had enough of it.

cronus
Black Market Analyst

Post by cronus » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:11 am

Only one true atheist and his name is not Richard Dawkins. Wanna be starting something? :read:

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:13 am

I was thoroughly disappointed by tGD