Rock n Roll - dead, on life support, or just in a coma?

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Re: Rock n Roll - dead, on life support, or just in a coma?

Post by JimC » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:03 pm

Seabass wrote:
Coito ergo sum wrote: I'm not saying there are zero rock bands around now, but I think that the difficulty people are having in naming new bands of the current decade is instructive.
:funny:

What difficulty? Rachel named several right off the bat, which you ignored. Tero posted Modest Mouse, Lak posted a couple Rockabilly bands, I named three bands, all ignored. You've only acknowledged MrFungus' list which you wrote off as being too old.

The difficulty here isn't in naming contemporary rock bands; the difficulty is in finding bands that satisfy your ridiculously narrow criteria, i.e. younger than three years AND the ability to pack stadiums, and must be liked/recognized/acknowledged by you.

This discussion is very silly. You've set up all the parameters so the only possible conclusion is the one you have predetermined.
What if one removed the "must be liked/recognized/acknowledged by CES"?

And maybe 5 years, not 3...

And pack stadiums by themselves, not as part of a multi-band festival?

Not so many, I think...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:58 pm

JimC wrote:
Seabass wrote:
Coito ergo sum wrote: I'm not saying there are zero rock bands around now, but I think that the difficulty people are having in naming new bands of the current decade is instructive.

What difficulty? Rachel named several right off the bat, which you ignored. Tero posted Modest Mouse, Lak posted a couple Rockabilly bands, I named three bands, all ignored. You've only acknowledged MrFungus' list which you wrote off as being too old.

The difficulty here isn't in naming contemporary rock bands; the difficulty is in finding bands that satisfy your ridiculously narrow criteria, i.e. younger than three years AND the ability to pack stadiums, and must be liked/recognized/acknowledged by you.

This discussion is very silly. You've set up all the parameters so the only possible conclusion is the one you have predetermined.

Not so many, I think...
Your requirements aren't much better than Coito's. If your criteria are so restrictive that even a band like The Black Keys doesn't make the cut, I think you need to ease your requirements a little. By any reasonable standards, The Black Keys should be counted on a list of successful, modern rock bands.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:36 am

Seabass wrote:
JimC wrote:
Seabass wrote:

Not so many, I think...
Your requirements aren't much better than Coito's. If your criteria are so restrictive that even a band like The Black Keys doesn't make the cut, I think you need to ease your requirements a little. By any reasonable standards, The Black Keys should be counted on a list of successful, modern rock bands.
It's not a question of whether they are successful or great musically. The point people are making, which seems to have some force, is that the days of the absolute mega band, playing to packed stadiums and dominating the charts may have passed...
And my gin!

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:50 am

JimC wrote:
Seabass wrote:
JimC wrote:
Seabass wrote:

Not so many, I think...
It's not a question of whether they are successful or great musically. The point people are making, which seems to have some force, is that the days of the absolute mega band, playing to packed stadiums and dominating the charts may have passed...

But the title of the thread is: "Rock n Roll - dead, on life support, or just in a coma?"

The answer to that question is a resounding 'no', IMO.

Sure, the hordes of screeching teeny boppers have moved on from rock to pop, but that is hardly a sign that rock is dead, on life support, or in a coma.

If the the question in the OP had been "Can rock bands formed within the last five years pack stadiums?", then we'd probably all be in agreement. But that's not what Coito originally asked.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:27 am

Fair point - I just had a feeling the key question of the thread had evolved beyond the OP...

Mind you, everything since the 70s is still crap...

:hehe:
And my gin!

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:35 am

JimC wrote:Fair point - I just had a feeling the key question of the thread had evolved beyond the OP...

:cranky:

Clinton Huxley
19th century monkeybitch.

Post by Clinton Huxley » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:57 am

JimC wrote:
Clinton Huxley wrote:Aye, the rock is undergoing metamorphosis.

I share these sediments...
Gneiss pun.
"I grow old … I grow old …
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled"

AND MERRY XMAS TO ONE AND All!

Imagehttp://25kv.co.uk/date_counter.php?date ... 20counting!!![/img-sig]

Audley Strange
"I blame the victim"

Post by Audley Strange » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:14 am

For CES.
"What started as a legitimate effort by the townspeople of Salem to identify, capture and kill those who did Satan's bidding quickly deteriorated into a witch hunt" Army Man

Audley Strange
"I blame the victim"

Post by Audley Strange » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:15 am

JimC wrote:Fair point - I just had a feeling the key question of the thread had evolved beyond the OP...

Can't beat Captain Beaky and Chicory Tip eh?
"What started as a legitimate effort by the townspeople of Salem to identify, capture and kill those who did Satan's bidding quickly deteriorated into a witch hunt" Army Man

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:51 pm

Yes you can. With a stick.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Robert_S
Cookie Monster
About me: Too young to die of boredom, too old to grow up.

Post by Robert_S » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:34 pm

Rock will die in a fire. No, an inferno... a special kind of inferno!

What I've found with a few discussions I've had lately is this self-satisfaction that people express with their proffessed open mindedness. In realty it ammounts to wilful ignorance and intellectual cowardice as they are choosing to not form any sort of opinion on a particular topic. Basically "I don't know and I'm not going to look at any evidence because I'm quite happy on this fence."
-Mr P

The Net is best considered analogous to communication with disincarnate intelligences. As any neophyte would tell you. Do not invoke that which you have no facility to banish.
Audley Strange

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:25 am

Robert_S wrote:

Rock will die in a fire. No, an inferno... a special kind of inferno!
Love is a burning thing
And it makes a fiery ring
Bound by wild desire
I fell into a ring of fire

I fell into a burning ring of fire
I went down, down, down and the flames went higher
And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire
The ring of fire

The ring of fire

The taste of love is sweet
When hearts like ours meet
I fell for you like a child
Oh, but the fire went wild

The ring of fire

The ring of fire

The ring of fire
The ring of fire
The ring of fire
And my gin!

Robert_S
Cookie Monster
About me: Too young to die of boredom, too old to grow up.

Post by Robert_S » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:22 pm

Does Rock need arena sized artists?

I'd say it's more important that musicians are doing things that are interesting and relevant, keeping it fresh while keeping it real.
What I've found with a few discussions I've had lately is this self-satisfaction that people express with their proffessed open mindedness. In realty it ammounts to wilful ignorance and intellectual cowardice as they are choosing to not form any sort of opinion on a particular topic. Basically "I don't know and I'm not going to look at any evidence because I'm quite happy on this fence."
-Mr P

The Net is best considered analogous to communication with disincarnate intelligences. As any neophyte would tell you. Do not invoke that which you have no facility to banish.
Audley Strange

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Post by klr » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:51 pm

Robert_S wrote:Does Rock need arena sized artists?

I'd say it's more important that musicians are doing things that are interesting and relevant, keeping it fresh while keeping it real.
Rock doesn't need such things, but the music industry* does.

*Or what's left of it, but that's another, possibly related discussion.
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:18 am

Robert_S wrote:Does Rock need arena sized artists?

I'm neutral about that, in the sense that it might not need it, but neither is it a bad thing. It's simply interesting that there has been a shift away from blockbuster bands in huge arenas...
And my gin!