charlou
arseist

"If you dislike feminism ... "

Post by charlou » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:54 am

Where to start with this crap ...
no fences

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Re: "If you dislike feminism ... "

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:55 am

Either that or I just hate that dress on her!

j/k :sofa:
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

Robert_S
Cookie Monster
About me: Too young to die of boredom, too old to grow up.

Post by Robert_S » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:06 am

Which feminism?
What I've found with a few discussions I've had lately is this self-satisfaction that people express with their proffessed open mindedness. In realty it ammounts to wilful ignorance and intellectual cowardice as they are choosing to not form any sort of opinion on a particular topic. Basically "I don't know and I'm not going to look at any evidence because I'm quite happy on this fence."
-Mr P

The Net is best considered analogous to communication with disincarnate intelligences. As any neophyte would tell you. Do not invoke that which you have no facility to banish.
Audley Strange

PsychoSerenity
"I" Self-Perceive Recursively

Post by PsychoSerenity » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:13 am

Robert_S wrote:Which feminism?
There's only one feminism, - you just have to know what it truly means.
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]

charlou
arseist

Post by charlou » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:24 am

The kind of feminism I've been seeing online. The above was posted on Facebook, and is just one example of what I think are divisive, non-constructive assertions I've been seeing posted there. I've all but given up trying to explain my objections to their approach to the issues of equality. I feel baited by this latest one, actually so will not be drawn into it there. I guess this thread is a bit of a vent, but fark it'd be nice to read some less dogmatic responses for a change, hence posting it here.

fwiw, my immediate reaction to that one in the OP, for starters ...

1. Nope. People calling themselves feminists are portraying negativity and untruthfulness .. This OP is yet another example.

2. Nope. I am aware, have experienced and do understand.

3. Nope. And it's not just men who perpetuate gender roles. Women also do this ... and both perpetuate gender roles not only for females, but for males too.
no fences

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:28 am

What if you don't dislike feminism but dislike anybody who demands you see things their way when they don't know what you see, and probably don't care.

charlou
arseist

Post by charlou » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:35 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:What if you don't dislike feminism but dislike anybody who demands you see things their way when they don't know what you see, and probably don't care.
Ah .. there is that.

I find it an extremely negative, dictatorial and, more often than not, uncomprehending brand of feminism.

If ignored, will it go away?
no fences

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:37 am

RiverF wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:What if you don't dislike feminism but dislike anybody who demands you see things their way when they don't know what you see, and probably don't care.
Ah .. there is that.

I find it an extremely negative, dictatorial and, more often than not, uncomprehending brand of feminism.

Does anything ever go away?

Robert_S
Cookie Monster
About me: Too young to die of boredom, too old to grow up.

Post by Robert_S » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:39 am

RiverF wrote:
Ah .. there is that.

It's one of those things I think you have to be very careful and very precise when critiquing.
What I've found with a few discussions I've had lately is this self-satisfaction that people express with their proffessed open mindedness. In realty it ammounts to wilful ignorance and intellectual cowardice as they are choosing to not form any sort of opinion on a particular topic. Basically "I don't know and I'm not going to look at any evidence because I'm quite happy on this fence."
-Mr P

The Net is best considered analogous to communication with disincarnate intelligences. As any neophyte would tell you. Do not invoke that which you have no facility to banish.
Audley Strange

charlou
arseist

Post by charlou » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:40 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
RiverF wrote:
Ah .. there is that.

See .. I knew I would find philosophical wisdom here. With added nonchalance. Feel better already. :hugs:
no fences

PsychoSerenity
"I" Self-Perceive Recursively

Post by PsychoSerenity » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:41 am

Robert_S wrote:
RiverF wrote:
Ah .. there is that.

It's one of those things I think you have to be very careful and very precise when critiquing.
Or just roll you eyes and walk away.
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]

Cormac

Post by Cormac » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:47 am

RiverF wrote:Where to start with this crap ...

Some good old fashioned satire?
FUCKERPUNKERSHIT!

Wanna buy some pegs Dave, I've got some pegs here...
You're my wife now!

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:48 am

RiverF wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
RiverF wrote:
Ah .. there is that.

See .. I knew I would find philosophical wisdom here. With added nonchalance. Feel better already. :hugs:
:hugs:

charlou
arseist

Post by charlou » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:54 am

Cormac wrote:
RiverF wrote:Where to start with this crap ...

Some good old fashioned satire?
:mrgreen: I do appreciate good old fashioned satire. If you see anything topical, feel free to post it here. For balance.
no fences

Cormac

Post by Cormac » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:01 pm

Robert_S wrote:
RiverF wrote:
Ah .. there is that.

I dunno. This kind of schlock is pure Apelust stuff. It is bullying "have you stopped beating your wife yet" stuff. And bullies should always be opposed.
FUCKERPUNKERSHIT!

Wanna buy some pegs Dave, I've got some pegs here...
You're my wife now!