I know you're all tired of this, but ...

A forum to talk about other sites and things you've found in the jungle that is the internet.

Please take a moment to read the rationalia guidelines: http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3449
Calilasseia
Butterfly
Butterfly
About me: Destroyer of canards, and merciless shredder of bad ideas. :twisted:

I know you're all tired of this, but ...

Post by Calilasseia » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:56 am

... I felt it was time to say something on recent events, having engaged in relevant deliberations. Accordingly, I offer this.

An Open Letter To PZ Myers

I have some questions arising from recent events. PZ, if you're observing this, please take your time to study them, and then provide an answer.

[1] Does not having launched into a spate of venomous abuse against Pappa, as a result of my not being aware of the thread in question, prior to your intervention, make me a "rape apologist"?

[2] Does not abandoning friends I made a good long time ago, just because one of them happens to have made an ill-conceived attempt at humour, make me a "cockroach"?

[3] Does the phrase "I disagree in the strongest terms with what you say, but I defend to the death your right to say it" resonate with you at all?

[4] Given that several here have had personal experience, with respect to the matter of escaping the rule by decree and thought policing so beloved of supernaturalists, does it not strike you as woefully ironic, to be seen as engaging in the same behaviour as your purported enemies in this matter, with respect to your interventions?

I would prefer substantive answers instead of one line dismissals if possible.

Yours sincerely,

Calilasseia.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Re: I know you're all tired of this, but ...

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:02 am

:clap:
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:19 am

Think he'll respond, Cali?
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Ian
Mr Incredible

Post by Ian » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:23 am

I wouldn't count on it. He launched his hate campaign over at Pharyngula, but hasn't come here much except to briefly call us all a nest of cockroaches. Besides, he asked to have his account suspended.

Jaygray

Post by Jaygray » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:58 am

I'm sure his lap-dogs will pass the message on. I expect he will either be too aloof to answer or he'll give the usual summary dismissal with 'assholes' being used a lot. Got to rally the troops, what?

Tyrannical

Post by Tyrannical » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:05 am

Ian wrote:I wouldn't count on it. He launched his hate campaign over at Pharyngula, but hasn't come here much except to briefly call us all a nest of cockroaches. Besides, he asked to have his account suspended.
Perhaps we may get lucky and he decides to take his medication before posting. I'm curious if he can discuss things he doesn't like or agree with without resorting to acting like a sixth grader.
A rational skeptic should be able to discuss and debate anything, no matter how much they may personally disagree with that point of view. Discussing a subject is not agreeing with it, but understanding it.

Atheist-Lite
Formerly known as Crumple
About me: You need a jetpack? Here, take mine. I don't need a jetpack this far away.

Post by Atheist-Lite » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:07 am

Tyrannical wrote:
Ian wrote:I wouldn't count on it. He launched his hate campaign over at Pharyngula, but hasn't come here much except to briefly call us all a nest of cockroaches. Besides, he asked to have his account suspended.
Perhaps we may get lucky and he decides to take his medication before posting. I'm curious if he can discuss things he doesn't like or agree with without resorting to acting like a sixth grader.
That wafer really contained something...then? :zig:
nxnxm,cm,m,fvmf,vndfnm,nm,f,dvm,v v vmfm,vvm,d,dd vv sm,mvd,fmf,fn ,v fvfm,

Audley Strange
"I blame the victim"

Post by Audley Strange » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:15 am

Seems to me, like a lot of academics I've met (and I'm sure some of the academics here have met) that never having left school, but skipped from one class to another, many of them have a very skewed idea of reality. Given that and given his obvious lack of self-criticism since his hagiographers and courtiers have inflated his ego to a degree that has allowed him to delude himself into thinking he has some kind of "leader" role in a community that increasingly marginalises him because it has had enough of his and his fawning lickspittles.
"What started as a legitimate effort by the townspeople of Salem to identify, capture and kill those who did Satan's bidding quickly deteriorated into a witch hunt" Army Man

rasetsu
Ne'er-do-well
About me: Move along. Nothing to see here.

Post by rasetsu » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:45 am

I say we dust off and nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

I’m going to postulate — just an idea — that perhaps there is a secret chemical that has been genetically engineered which is on the surface of that paper so that when the Ph.D. candidate receives that roll of paper this chemical is absorbed by the skin, goes into the bloodstream and is conducted directly to the brain. This is a very carefully engineered chemical which goes directly — please don’t laugh; this is science — goes directly to the speech center of the brain and paralyzes the brain in such a way that two sentences from then on, in any given language, are no longer possible to be pronounced by that person. Those two sentences are, “I don’t know” and “I was wrong”.
— James "The Amazing" Randi

colubridae
Custom Rank: Rank
About me: http://www.essentialart.com/acatalog/Ed ... Stars.html

Post by colubridae » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:03 am

rasetsu wrote:I say we dust off and nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

I’m going to postulate — just an idea — that perhaps there is a secret chemical that has been genetically engineered which is on the surface of that paper so that when the Ph.D. candidate receives that roll of paper this chemical is absorbed by the skin, goes into the bloodstream and is conducted directly to the brain. This is a very carefully engineered chemical which goes directly — please don’t laugh; this is science — goes directly to the speech center of the brain and paralyzes the brain in such a way that two sentences from then on, in any given language, are no longer possible to be pronounced by that person. Those two sentences are, “I don’t know” and “I was wrong”.
— James "The Amazing" Randi

I'm definitely right when I say I know what he means. :prof:
I have a well balanced personality. I've got chips on both shoulders

amused
amused
About me: Reinvention phase initiated

Post by amused » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:19 am

[5] Given your own disgust with concern trolls, aren't you now disgusted with yourself?

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:22 am

If he won't treat Cali seriously, he wouldn't treat anyone seriously...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Atheist-Lite
Formerly known as Crumple
About me: You need a jetpack? Here, take mine. I don't need a jetpack this far away.

Post by Atheist-Lite » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:26 am

JimC wrote:If he won't treat Cali seriously, he wouldn't treat anyone seriously...
...except I, for myself, find the questions to be apparently rather weak coming from one of the acknowledged strongest gamesters on the skeptical board. :coffee:
nxnxm,cm,m,fvmf,vndfnm,nm,f,dvm,v v vmfm,vvm,d,dd vv sm,mvd,fmf,fn ,v fvfm,

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:30 am

JimC wrote:If he won't treat Cali seriously, he wouldn't treat anyone seriously...
I find Cali too boring to take seriously. :bored:
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

rachelbean
"awesome."
About me: I'm a nerd.

Post by rachelbean » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:38 am

Cali is anything but boring :lol:
lordpasternack wrote:Yeah - I fuckin' love oppressin' ma wimmin, like I love chowin' on ma bacon and tuggin' on ma ol' cock… ;)
Pappa wrote:God is a cunt! I wank over pictures of Jesus! I love Darwin so much I'd have sex with his bones!!!!