Personal ethics...

charlou
arseist

Personal ethics...

Post by charlou » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:30 pm

What would you give up in order to survive? How far would you go, and would it be 'worth' it?
no fences

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Re: Personal ethics...

Post by Animavore » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:53 pm

I'd give up my friend to a hungry bear if accosted by one.
It would be worth it. I'd be alive. I've more friends anyway.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:54 pm

I would see this more as a test of one's ethics rather than the ethics one lives by when not under 'test conditions'. For example most of us consider theft to be immoral or socially reprehensible and to be thoroughly discouraged, but most f us would probably steal if it was a case of family survival. Most of us believe that murder is wrong, but it would be a hell of a test if you had to chose between killing someone and surviving yourself or not and being killed oneself.

Clinton Huxley
19th century monkeybitch.

Post by Clinton Huxley » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:05 pm

I would throw my own granny under a bus. And indeed did.
"I grow old … I grow old …
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled"

AND MERRY XMAS TO ONE AND All!

Imagehttp://25kv.co.uk/date_counter.php?date ... 20counting!!![/img-sig]

Atheist-Lite
Formerly known as Crumple
About me: You need a jetpack? Here, take mine. I don't need a jetpack this far away.

Post by Atheist-Lite » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:08 pm

We all have the same depths of depravity inside us and those who speak of ethics are no doubt the worst of the worst in their execution? I'd try to save a few people, you can rely on ol' crumple come the day. Just like on The Titanic I ain't gonna risk my empty life boat until you lot have stopped your thrashing around in the water first. You could tip the thing over. :tup:
nxnxm,cm,m,fvmf,vndfnm,nm,f,dvm,v v vmfm,vvm,d,dd vv sm,mvd,fmf,fn ,v fvfm,

Clinton Huxley
19th century monkeybitch.

Post by Clinton Huxley » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:14 pm

Come the apocalypse, Crumple needs to be taken out first. Don't want him crowing "I told you so" to the survivors...
"I grow old … I grow old …
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled"

AND MERRY XMAS TO ONE AND All!

Imagehttp://25kv.co.uk/date_counter.php?date ... 20counting!!![/img-sig]

maiforpeace
Account Suspended at Member's Request

Post by maiforpeace » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:15 pm

Rum wrote:I would see this more as a test of one's ethics rather than the ethics one lives by when not under 'test conditions'. For example most of us consider theft to be immoral or socially reprehensible and to be thoroughly discouraged, but most f us would probably steal if it was a case of family survival. Most of us believe that murder is wrong, but it would be a hell of a test if you had to chose between killing someone and surviving yourself or not and being killed oneself.
:this:

I don't know what I would do.

I have a really good disaster kit (collected during the last big earthquake and checked regularly) that would allow 6 people to survive for 2 weeks. (or the two of us for 6 weeks). I decided that I didn't want to worry about those basics of food, water and safety during a disaster when there is already so much more to consider.

What I do know is that I wouldn't try to survive through a nuclear disaster or a plague that destroyed most of the human race...I don't think that's likely to happen, but if it did I would probably commit suicide and leave what precious resources are left for those who have the will to live through such a thing.
Atheists have always argued that this world is all that we have, and that our duty is to one another to make the very most and best of it. ~Christopher Hitchens~
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3534/379 ... 3be9_o.jpg[/imgc]

HomerJay

Post by HomerJay » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:36 pm

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho Marx

Drewish
I'm with stupid /\

Post by Drewish » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:38 pm

I'd rather die and be remembered fondly than sacrifice those that would have remembered me.
Nobody expects me...

maiforpeace
Account Suspended at Member's Request

Post by maiforpeace » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:47 pm

HomerJay wrote:Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho Marx
:mrgreen:
andrewclunn wrote:I'd rather die and be remembered fondly than sacrifice those that would have remembered me.
You are quite the romantic. 8-)
Atheists have always argued that this world is all that we have, and that our duty is to one another to make the very most and best of it. ~Christopher Hitchens~
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3534/379 ... 3be9_o.jpg[/imgc]

hiyymer

Post by hiyymer » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:30 pm

charlou wrote:What would you give up in order to survive? How far would you go, and would it be 'worth' it?
I'd do whatever I felt like doing at the time.

amused
amused
About me: Reinvention phase initiated

Post by amused » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:40 pm

Reminds me of the trolley problem in ethics:
A trolley (i.e. in British English a tram) is running out of control down a track. In its path are five people who have been tied to the track by a mad philosopher. Fortunately, you could flip a switch, which will lead the trolley down a different track to safety. Unfortunately, there is a single person tied to that track. Should you flip the switch or do nothing?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trolley_problem

Atheist-Lite
Formerly known as Crumple
About me: You need a jetpack? Here, take mine. I don't need a jetpack this far away.

Post by Atheist-Lite » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:59 pm

amused wrote:Reminds me of the trolley problem in ethics:
A trolley (i.e. in British English a tram) is running out of control down a track. In its path are five people who have been tied to the track by a mad philosopher. Fortunately, you could flip a switch, which will lead the trolley down a different track to safety. Unfortunately, there is a single person tied to that track. Should you flip the switch or do nothing?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trolley_problem
Wouldn't do anything. Could cause a greater disaster by interfering. Let events take their course. Prime directive. :smoke:

nxnxm,cm,m,fvmf,vndfnm,nm,f,dvm,v v vmfm,vvm,d,dd vv sm,mvd,fmf,fn ,v fvfm,

amused
amused
About me: Reinvention phase initiated

Post by amused » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:53 pm

Understood. Then it gets harder if you know that the five are murderers and the one is a rocket surgeon.

Except, I always enjoy this little part from The Subtle Knife -

She had asked: What is he? A friend or an enemy?
The alethiometer answered: He is a murderer.
When she saw the answer, she relaxed at once. He could find food, and show her how to reach Oxford, and those were powers that were useful, but he might still have been untrustworthy or cowardly. A murderer was a worthy companion. She felt as safe with him as she she'd felt with Iorek Byrnison, the armored bear.

Santa_Claus
Your Imaginary Friend
About me: Ho! Ho! Ho!

Post by Santa_Claus » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:13 pm

Animavore wrote:I'd give up my friend to a hungry bear if accosted by one..

I guess your surviving freinds have learnt not to accost you.........

.....where do you keep the Bear?
I am Leader of all The Atheists in the world - FACT.

Come look inside Santa's Hole :ninja:

You want to hear the truth about Santa Claus???.....you couldn't handle the truth about Santa Claus!!!