Global Climate Change Science News

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Re: Global Climate Change Science News

Post by Hermit » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:38 pm

aufbahrung wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:55 am
How do the squares on the sceptic boards know Newtons magic failed? With Newton having the awkward times he had, having some magic interest might have staved off the doubters who could have ruined his career and contributions in the real science. So it might have worked. Like a cultural placebo - or something.
Newton had a rough start indeed. He was born prematurely two years into the civil wars. His father died three months before his birth. But before he was five years old things had settled down. The wars had ended and his mother had remarried by then. Life was comfortable and peaceful. Between the age of 12 and 17 he was educated at The King's School, Grantham. From there he went to another elite school, King's School, and then, at the age of 19, to Trinity College, Cambridge. You could not really get there unless your parents were already well connected. Three years later he was awarded a scholarship which paid his way to an MA four years later. If Newton possessed magical powers already, which I doubt, they were not needed.
So you talk about mobs and the working classes as if they were the question. You've got that eternal idiotic idea that if anarchy came it would come from the poor. Why should it? The poor have been rebels, but they have never been anarchists; they have more interest than anyone else in there being some decent government. The poor man really has a stake in the country. The rich man hasn't; he can go away to New Guinea in a yacht. The poor have sometimes objected to being governed badly; the rich have always objected to being governed at all. Aristocrats were always anarchists. - G.K. Chesterton

aufbahrung

Post by aufbahrung » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:41 pm

Hermit wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:38 pm
aufbahrung wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:55 am
How do the squares on the sceptic boards know Newtons magic failed? With Newton having the awkward times he had, having some magic interest might have staved off the doubters who could have ruined his career and contributions in the real science. So it might have worked. Like a cultural placebo - or something.
Newton had a rough start indeed. He was born prematurely two years into the civil wars. His father died three months before his birth. But before he was five years old things had settled down. The wars had ended and his mother had remarried by then. Life was comfortable and peaceful. Between the age of 12 and 17 he was educated at The King's School, Grantham. From there he went to another elite school, King's School, and then, at the age of 19, to Trinity College, Cambridge. You could not really get there unless your parents were already well connected. Three years later he was awarded a scholarship which paid his way to an MA four years later. If Newton possessed magical powers already, which I doubt, they were not needed.
Your applying modern takes on a skeletal history - it was seriously different abled in those days.
I've changed. I'm on this ship and dripping acid.

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:14 am

We find a few around thinks there is global cooling going on because they are in an Arctic Dipole cold zone. :roll: of course they live in Alberta so are awaiting the return of the oil boom...ain't happening.
2020 Tied for Warmest Year on Record, NASA Analysis Shows
https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/2020 ... ysis-shows
Ontario rider staying in Cairns Australian for 3-6 months each year Feb to May Canada >• 2018 CB500x • 2008 CBF1000 Australia> 04 KLR650 • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:00 pm

Share it?

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

pErvinalia
Off his meds
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:31 pm

Did her handlers approve?
[/Cunt]
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"My penis is VERY small" - Cunt.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:50 am

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

blindfaith

Post by blindfaith » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:01 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:50 am
It looks like they have reanimated patrick moore in that vid :zombie:

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:06 pm

Lolz. ;)

Frank Zappa

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:26 pm

The myth of carbon offsetting air travel...

Frank Zappa

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:32 am

Let's see...some mug on youtube or David Suzuki? :ask:
Purchasing Carbon Offsets: A Guide for Canadian Consumers, Businesses, and Organizations is a guide for Canadians seeking to offset climate-altering emissions from air travel or other activities. The guide provides general information on offsets, as well as a comparative ranking of 20 offset vendors from Canada and around the world. The ranking is based on criteria established by staff from the Pembina Institute and the David Suzuki Foundation.
https://davidsuzuki.org/science-learnin ... nizations/

https://davidsuzuki.org/what-you-can-do/carbon-offsets/
Ontario rider staying in Cairns Australian for 3-6 months each year Feb to May Canada >• 2018 CB500x • 2008 CBF1000 Australia> 04 KLR650 • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:11 am

Nice. But if we're going to finesse a market solution to the persistence of carbon dioxide atoms in the atmosphere why not charge the polluters directly? Wouldn't that kind of capital imperative drive technical innovation towards reducing pollution?

On the other hand, wouldn't we expect a market in offsetting to drive prices down for the consumers, which in this case are the polluters - more pollution cheaper? If not, what's the rationale for granting the polluters the privilege of devising and instituting regulatory systems and market solutions to address their own ongoing pollution? Isn't that like putting the alcoholic in charge of the cocktail cabinet?

Let's have a discussion about it.

Frank Zappa

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:01 pm

You treat the airlines as villians and think they want a market solution when in fact they are highly regulated and are working on a wide range of carbon neutral or reduced carbon solutions..a Dreamliner gets better fuel mileage per capita than a prius with 4 people aboard and that's the kind of plane the airlines are flying now ( Air bus has a couple of uber efficient planes as well )

Industrial society needs aircraft for transport both for goods and people.
Using valid offsets is a temporary and effective method of neutralizing the current carbon release as new solutions arise. It does not matter where the decarboning arises.

EV aircraft are not effective yet for long range but are moving foward for commuter planes

https://thedriven.io/2020/03/13/commerc ... y-by-2030/

and bio fuel is progressing as well tho that has issues.
Rolls-Royce tests 100% biofuel in latest business jet engine ...www.aerospacetestinginternational.com › engine-testing
2 Feb 2021 — Engineers at Rolls-Royce have conducted the first tests of 100% Sustainable Aviation Fuel in a business jet engine. The testing was conducted ..