Global Climate Change Science News

Post Reply
User avatar
Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
Posts: 27895
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:44 am
About me: Ablate me:
Location: Location: Location:
Contact:

Re: Global Climate Change Science News

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:07 pm

pErvinalia wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:45 pm
Why use the phrasing? Because everyone, beside the terminally stupid, understands what it means.
There's actually some pressure among activists to move from 'climate change' and 'global warming' to 'global heating' to make what's happening more explicit. Nonetheless, they all refer to the same thing - only the deniers try to conflate 'climate' with 'weather' these days.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT
.

User avatar
Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart
Posts: 11735
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:10 am
Contact:

Re: Global Climate Change Science News

Post by Cunt » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:13 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:07 pm
pErvinalia wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:45 pm
Why use the phrasing? Because everyone, beside the terminally stupid, understands what it means.
There's actually some pressure among activists to move from 'climate change' and 'global warming' to 'global heating' to make what's happening more explicit. Nonetheless, they all refer to the same thing - only the deniers try to conflate 'climate' with 'weather' these days.
I haven't met any 'deniers' such as you speak of.

I listened to a bunch of Steven Crowder. Is HE a 'denier'? And what precisely did he deny, to earn that title?

What about the hundreds of scientists who wrote to the UN saying there was not a climate emergency?

Are they denying climate change? Or denying the value of panic?
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists
Adults have no good arguments for a longer waistband, but it's hilarious to watch some make them anyway.

User avatar
pErvinalia
Off his meds
Posts: 52954
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:08 pm
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'
Location: dystopia
Contact:

Re: Global Climate Change Science News

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:41 am

Your man Trump is a denier. :roll:
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"My penis is VERY small" - Cunt.

User avatar
Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
Posts: 27895
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:44 am
About me: Ablate me:
Location: Location: Location:
Contact:

Re: Global Climate Change Science News

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:13 am


Cunt wrote:...

What about the hundreds of scientists who wrote to the UN saying there was not a climate emergency?

Are they denying climate change? Or denying the value of panic?
What about the literally thousands of scientists who have concluded that we're in the midst of a mass extinction event and that the temperature of the atmosphere is close to running away with itself due to the volume of CO2 we're pumping into the system? Why do you not apply the same level of scepticism to the hundreds as you do to the thousands? Whether we're in climate emergency or not is basically a political matter. Do you think there's an emergency, and if not what do you think our governments' response to the facts should be?

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT
.

User avatar
pErvinalia
Off his meds
Posts: 52954
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:08 pm
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'
Location: dystopia
Contact:

Re: Global Climate Change Science News

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:29 am

Canadians seem to have trouble with the concept of global warming, as it's so cold there they don't see the threats that a couple (at least) of degrees warming poses.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"My penis is VERY small" - Cunt.

User avatar
JimC
The sentimental bloke
Posts: 64594
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:58 am
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Global Climate Change Science News

Post by JimC » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:17 am

Legal issues and lawsuits loom large in future climate change actions:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-13/ ... g/11943146
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

User avatar
Hermit
Posts: 21964
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:44 am
Contact:

Re: Global Climate Change Science News

Post by Hermit » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:30 am

Cunt wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:48 pm
So who paid for the IPCC report? And did they have other financial interest in the energy sector?
Unfortunately, the boot is pretty much on the other foot. The major foundations, think tanks and websites that spread doubt, fear and confusion in regard to anthropogenic global warming are largely funded by extremely rich people, especially so by extremely rich people whose wealth is derived from fossil fuel and mining.

Image

Whatever capacity for scepticism you have keeps getting blindsided by your confirmation bias. One of the posts your from just a few hours ago was a textbook example of how that works. You found that 1977 Time magazine title page warning us of the coming ice age valuable evidence to support your belief that anthropogenic global warming is bullshit. It strengthened you scepticism. So, when it was pointed out to you that it was faked, did it diminish your belief that anthropogenic global warming is bullshit? Did it diminish your doubt that anthropogenic global warming is real? It seems not.
So you talk about mobs and the working classes as if they were the question. You've got that eternal idiotic idea that if anarchy came it would come from the poor. Why should it? The poor have been rebels, but they have never been anarchists; they have more interest than anyone else in there being some decent government. The poor man really has a stake in the country. The rich man hasn't; he can go away to New Guinea in a yacht. The poor have sometimes objected to being governed badly; the rich have always objected to being governed at all. Aristocrats were always anarchists. - G.K. Chesterton

User avatar
Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart
Posts: 11735
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:10 am
Contact:

Re: Global Climate Change Science News

Post by Cunt » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:58 am

Hermit wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:30 am
Whatever capacity for scepticism you have keeps getting blindsided by your confirmation bias. One of the posts your from just a few hours ago was a textbook example of how that works. You found that 1977 Time magazine title page warning us of the coming ice age valuable evidence to support your belief that anthropogenic global warming is bullshit.
Incorrect.

It was evidence that Time magazine is bullshit.

I told you after, I reviewed MANY Time covers after your explanation. Then I asked you about their 'polar bear' lie, and if you knew about it.
It strengthened you scepticism. So, when it was pointed out to you that it was faked, did it diminish your belief that anthropogenic global warming is bullshit? Did it diminish your doubt that anthropogenic global warming is real? It seems not.
I don't know about 'anthropogenic climate change', or what it would mean to agree or disagree. I'm not a scientist, but if I had a phd, and a different opinion on it, what do you suppose would happen?

What would be the response of government, CBC and academia? To discuss my ideas and refute them if incorrect? Or throw a tantrum and try to have me removed from the conference schedule?

Well, it just happened in Regina. Dr. Moore (co-founder of Greenpeace) is a Phd with a relevant degree, LOTS of experience in the field, and the courageous academics/government/media marched in lockstep to de-platform him.

If you wonder why I find that 'popular opinion' about 'climate change' suspicious, this is the kind of behaviour that makes me fairly dismissive of foreign governments who try to push it (like the EU or UN does) and laughably dismissive of the CBC who push it, because lets face it, they are in the pocket of government as much as BBC, or Pravda.
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists
Adults have no good arguments for a longer waistband, but it's hilarious to watch some make them anyway.

User avatar
Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart
Posts: 11735
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:10 am
Contact:

Re: Global Climate Change Science News

Post by Cunt » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:58 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:13 am
Cunt wrote:...

What about the hundreds of scientists who wrote to the UN saying there was not a climate emergency?

Are they denying climate change? Or denying the value of panic?
What about the literally thousands of scientists who have concluded that we're in the midst of a mass extinction event and that the temperature of the atmosphere is close to running away with itself due to the volume of CO2 we're pumping into the system? Why do you not apply the same level of scepticism to the hundreds as you do to the thousands? Whether we're in climate emergency or not is basically a political matter. Do you think there's an emergency, and if not what do you think our governments' response to the facts should be?
Well, the message is SO uniform, and SO badly pitched, that I remain unconvinced.

Maybe what you should do is get wealthy elites to fly private jets to an island paradise to discuss how to convince me to accept their 'taxes will change the weather' program.

That might work.
JimC wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:17 am
Legal issues and lawsuits loom large in future climate change actions:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-13/ ... g/11943146
ABC...isn't that the network that spiked the Epstein story?

So they covered for an elite, world-hopping convicted pedophile, and you want me to be convinced?

Holy shit, the only thing more hilarious would be if Disney owned ABC lol

...oh wait...
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists
Adults have no good arguments for a longer waistband, but it's hilarious to watch some make them anyway.

User avatar
Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
Posts: 27895
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:44 am
About me: Ablate me:
Location: Location: Location:
Contact:

Re: Global Climate Change Science News

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:04 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:29 am
Canadians seem to have trouble with the concept of global warming, as it's so cold there they don't see the threats that a couple (at least) of degrees warming poses.
I know, confusing local weather with global climate often belies a basic conceptual failure. Many denialist do it on purpose of course.

Image
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT
.

User avatar
Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart
Posts: 11735
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:10 am
Contact:

Re: Global Climate Change Science News

Post by Cunt » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:08 am

Just what was it that 'thousands of scientists' agreed on? Was it the phrase 'anthropogenic climate change is partially real'

Something more definitive?
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists
Adults have no good arguments for a longer waistband, but it's hilarious to watch some make them anyway.

User avatar
Hermit
Posts: 21964
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:44 am
Contact:

Re: Global Climate Change Science News

Post by Hermit » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:25 am

Cunt wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:58 am
Hermit wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:30 am
Whatever capacity for scepticism you have keeps getting blindsided by your confirmation bias. One of the posts your from just a few hours ago was a textbook example of how that works. You found that 1977 Time magazine title page warning us of the coming ice age valuable evidence to support your belief that anthropogenic global warming is bullshit.
Incorrect.

It was evidence that Time magazine is bullshit.
It was evidence strengthening the case against "global warming alarmists". It confirmed your bias. So what happened when it was pointed out to you that it was actually a fake? Something that strengthened the case against "global warming alarmists" had been removed, right? Did that weaken your bias in any way? Not at all. Evidence in favour of a bias strengthens it, but its removal does nothing to weaken it. There's a name for that process. I mentioned it in a previous discussion with you a couple of days ago, which you were then no longer interested in continuing all of a sudden: The name is confirmation bias. This instance is a textbook example of it.
So you talk about mobs and the working classes as if they were the question. You've got that eternal idiotic idea that if anarchy came it would come from the poor. Why should it? The poor have been rebels, but they have never been anarchists; they have more interest than anyone else in there being some decent government. The poor man really has a stake in the country. The rich man hasn't; he can go away to New Guinea in a yacht. The poor have sometimes objected to being governed badly; the rich have always objected to being governed at all. Aristocrats were always anarchists. - G.K. Chesterton

User avatar
Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
Posts: 27895
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:44 am
About me: Ablate me:
Location: Location: Location:
Contact:

Re: Global Climate Change Science News

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:26 am

Cunt wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:58 am
Brian Peacock wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:13 am
Cunt wrote:...

What about the hundreds of scientists who wrote to the UN saying there was not a climate emergency?

Are they denying climate change? Or denying the value of panic?
What about the literally thousands of scientists who have concluded that we're in the midst of a mass extinction event and that the temperature of the atmosphere is close to running away with itself due to the volume of CO2 we're pumping into the system? Why do you not apply the same level of scepticism to the hundreds as you do to the thousands? Whether we're in climate emergency or not is basically a political matter. Do you think there's an emergency, and if not what do you think our governments' response to the facts should be?
Well, the message is SO uniform, and SO badly pitched, that I remain unconvinced.
On whom are you relying for your information, and what kind of evidence would you find convincing if not from the overwhelming majority of scientists working in that field? A politician? A spokeperson for the fossil fuel industry? Would it take Exon to say that humans are heating the atmosphere at an increasing rate for you to start taking it seriously?

Of course, if it the current parlous state of the climate was a reality then there would be a pretty uniform message - as indeed there is. Would you feel more secure about accepting the reality of the situation if there was more uncertainty about it?
Cunt wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:58 am
Maybe what you should do is get wealthy elites to fly private jets to an island paradise to discuss how to convince me to accept their 'taxes will change the weather' program.
Wealthy elites are already telling that man-made global heating is myth, misinformation, or a malign project which threatens your freedom. At this point who or what would you actually believe?
Cunt wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:58 am
JimC wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:17 am
Legal issues and lawsuits loom large in future climate change actions:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-13/ ... g/11943146
ABC...isn't that the network that spiked the Epstein story?
Poisoning the well again, eh?
Cunt wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:58 am
So they covered for an elite, world-hopping convicted pedophile, and you want me to be convinced?

Holy shit, the only thing more hilarious would be if Disney owned ABC lol

...oh wait...
If you consider yourself justfiably sceptical about climate change then I don't think you really know what scepticism truly is. Moral censure is all you seem to be bringing to the table at the moment, and it appears that you think the vast majority of climate and environmental scientists are so personally morally flawed that their findings, and anyone who accepts them--whether that be governments, institutions, companies or members of the public--or who reports on them are all engaged in some coordinated project to mislead you - along with everybody else.

If one believes that everybody else is a liar then of course one is free to claim a monopoly on the truth.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT
.

User avatar
JimC
The sentimental bloke
Posts: 64594
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:58 am
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Global Climate Change Science News

Post by JimC » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:33 am

Cunt wrote:

JimC wrote: ↑Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:17 pm
Legal issues and lawsuits loom large in future climate change actions:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-13/ ... g/11943146
ABC...isn't that the network that spiked the Epstein story?

So they covered for an elite, world-hopping convicted pedophile, and you want me to be convinced?

Holy shit, the only thing more hilarious would be if Disney owned ABC lol
Your ignorance is breathtaking. You don't seem to realise that there is an Australian ABC, as well as the American one you were trying to smear (as if reporting on Prince Andrew would mean anything about a climate change article)
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

User avatar
Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart
Posts: 11735
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:10 am
Contact:

Re: Global Climate Change Science News

Post by Cunt » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:40 am

Hermit wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:25 am
Cunt wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:58 am
Hermit wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:30 am
Whatever capacity for scepticism you have keeps getting blindsided by your confirmation bias. One of the posts your from just a few hours ago was a textbook example of how that works. You found that 1977 Time magazine title page warning us of the coming ice age valuable evidence to support your belief that anthropogenic global warming is bullshit.
Incorrect.

It was evidence that Time magazine is bullshit.
It was evidence strengthening the case against "global warming alarmists". It confirmed your bias. So what happened when it was pointed out to you that it was actually a fake? Something that strengthened the case against "global warming alarmists" had been removed, right? Did that weaken your bias in any way? Not at all. Evidence in favour of a bias strengthens it, but its removal does nothing to weaken it. There's a name for that process. I mentioned it in a previous discussion with you a couple of days ago, which you were then no longer interested in continuing all of a sudden: The name is confirmation bias. This instance is a textbook example of it.
I would believe that you had it too, unless of course you showed me the dissenting opinions you respected.

I'm not in doubt because of the folks they found who agree with them. I'm in doubt because of the way they handle dissent.

And Time has been pushing whatever bullshit chicken-little story they have got since I've been old enough to read. They are hilariously transparent.
Brian Peacock wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:26 am
If you consider yourself justfiably sceptical about climate change then I don't think you really know what scepticism truly is. Moral censure is all you seem to be bringing to the table at the moment, and it appears that you think the vast majority of climate and environmental scientists are so personally morally flawed that their findings, and anyone who accepts them--whether that be governments, institutions, companies or members of the public--or who reports on them are all engaged in some coordinated project to mislead you - along with everybody else.
It's a lot easier to be sceptical, when the proponents of this theory of yours won't make solid, falsifiable claims, and treat any dissenting information like heresy.

We KNOW that arson started a lot of the fires in Australia (and California, no doubt) and it isn't at all unbelievable. Humans arson. Happens to be a very regular behaviour.

But look at how people respond to reporting it, during the 'climate change fires' recently.

Also, accumulated fuel is the ONLY way to be sure a wildfire can start. Every other factor would fail to start wildfires, if there wasn't a bunch of fuel drying there.

How are the alarmists handling that plain fact?

It's pretty easy to sing along, but I seldom hear you questioning any of the chorus. Kind of makes me think you haven't found a single thing to disagree with. Funny, since that would suggest not only is it agreed upon by all scientists, but that it is obvious enough for all non-scientists, too.

Or, possibly, there is organized academic and media pressure to supress any dissenting opinion (like the recent Regina incident with Dr. Moore)

You want to convince me of something? You might be able to. You want to convince me to repeat that meaningless phrase as if I agree? Sorry, can't help you out.

Until I see respect given to dissenting scientists, I'm going to dismiss the political garbage-fire that is 'Greta Inc.'

And as to poisoning the well, I just don't trust a media company that spikes such an important child-trafficking story, AND is owned by Disney.

Do you? Or do you just compartmentalize their hiding of the Epstein story?
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists
Adults have no good arguments for a longer waistband, but it's hilarious to watch some make them anyway.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest